Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

The Single Turbo Conversion Thread 2.0

ReubenH

rex-leggy said:

hey gazz did you change your fuel pump when you converted your bg5a?

nah i didnt change mine, i did have the AFR all tested after the conversion and it was sweet. Car only has 137KMs on it.

I would if i had the cash though i reckon. Luckily my car really is just my daily driver.. i barely boost it LOL, i have evan taken the A/M BOV off + if the fuel prices go up anymore i am gng to walk or bike to work.

Hmm it has come apparent that the sensors on the ej20H must share ground wires or something of that nature (AFM, Pressure, O2, Crank, Cam etc) don't have their own grounds. can anyone expained on that?

Dodgy_GT said:

Hmm it has come apparent that the sensors on the ej20H must share ground wires or something of that nature (AFM, Pressure, O2, Crank, Cam etc) don't have their own grounds. can anyone expained on that?

yes, their earths are controlled/supplied by the ECU, v3/4 WRX wiring styles... i.e. bg's are not quite the same.

WRX's have a white earthing block down at the ECU with green push-in jumper(s), may pay to get one of these WRX earth blocks and wire it as per WRX wiring diagrams.. that is want i did :)

have a look down this page, this is another earthing issue you will come accross... the main earths (i.e. not the ones in the earth block asforementoned) http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,14056.msg206635.html#msg206635

Dodgy_GT said:

hahaha of course!! fuking wiring >:( so basically you split one wire into multiple pins?

yes and no, you got to get it right or you will have allsorts of issues. The shields need the earth as specified in the WRX diagram and so do the sensors, then their is the main earths going from the ECU to manifold

this is the earth block /joint connector, note G,H & F are shield wiring (you changing to a WRX 3 plug i take it?)

som5a423.r3d.jpg

Dodgy_GT said:

cheers, its probibly a good thing I know an auto sparky cos that is over my head ;D

yah, i used to be an auto sparky ;D

Just be aware that there may be other 'age induced' earthing problems cauing issues too as mentioned in that link i gave you.

Nice new thick earths is the go too + an earthing kit if you can

Had a bit of think about it last night, btw im going 4 plug to 4 plug. do I need to trace ground wires back to the sensors so I can link them up at the ecu or is there an easier way? do you know where the legacy grounds terminate ie they don't make it all the way to the ecu.

• 1 month later...
  • General Member

So at the risk of asking a silly question. Whats easier for a newb, single turbo conversion or forget it all and throw an STI engine, Loom and ECU in?

I will probably be picking up a TT GTB soon and I know I wonnt be ok with VOD for long ha ha.

• General Member

Ah ok, so a question best asked when I take ownership of said wagon.

Sweet will keep that in mind. Just starting my research now as its going to be my weekend car and I just know temptation to mod engine will set in soon after the looks mods are done.

If you get a BG5b then its simple swap either way. Easy enough to swap STI stuff onto the GTB longblock so you don't need to pull the engine out.

With a BG5a, you have a whole world of pain and misery ahead of you. So pretty much make sure it comes with yellow injectors and is a b series and you'll be sweet.

dammit: rex-leggy beat me too it

Bh is easy to if you get the right ecu. But to be honest the work you have to do to the bh to make it go hard I don't think I would do another one. Mine was mint on the open road but it's just to heavy a the gear ratios are just to tall.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to expand on that, only MANUAL BG5B's and C's have the easy wiring and yellows etc. I.e. don't even look at auto's when buying.

If you get a BD/BG with yellow injectors, you're in for a walk down easy street with the conversion.

And someone asked earlier if it'd just be easier to drop an STi engine in, the answer is pretty much yes, that will cut a bit of the BS with dealing with the primary oil stuff, and greatly reduce the shopping list of parts. Plus you'll be getting shim under bucket, which is a mild, if not completely useless bonus :D But it sorta takes the fun out of the project! And will greatly increase the cost of the conversion, unless you're dealing with a GTB with a blown engine in the first place.

I'm about to start the conversion using a complete V3 STI motor, swapping everything off it on to my ej20r. I plan to use the sti engine loom including manifold top coil pack, do you think I will still need to re-pin at the ecu? It looks like it will all plug straight in.

ReubenH said:

Just to expand on that, only MANUAL BG5B's and C's have the easy wiring and yellows etc. I.e. don't even look at auto's when buying.

If you get a BD/BG with yellow injectors, you're in for a walk down easy street with the conversion.

And someone asked earlier if it'd just be easier to drop an STi engine in, the answer is pretty much yes, that will cut a bit of the BS with dealing with the primary oil stuff, and greatly reduce the shopping list of parts. Plus you'll be getting shim under bucket, which is a mild, if not completely useless bonus :D But it sorta takes the fun out of the project! And will greatly increase the cost of the conversion, unless you're dealing with a GTB with a blown engine in the first place.

that never even crossed my mind sorry ..... who in there right mind wound do that :P

• 2 months later...

I bought a auto BG5.

Slapped a manual, puck clutch and fly in it.

Single turbo extractors and vf22.

a Link g4 external mounted ECU.

a FMIC and straightthough exhast.

And it goes mean never had any issues has had 199KW at 14PSI for agggeeesss.

Now upgrading to V7 engine. but I didnt change anything on the engine other than those things. Came with Yellows Stock

• 4 weeks later...

hey, nice job. i have mine in the electritians atm cause im baffled and now he is to. has the front firing but not the rear 3&4 have wired it all up as shown but there is a voltage constantly coming from the 3&4 output?

• 4 weeks later...

I have started this conversion with my mates car! Im pumped!

Got the parts all off and the parts are coming in via trademe nice and steadily now.

Just one question... I got a V4 manifold but looking at it all I am pretty sure I just reuse the wiring from the TT manifold right?

Thanks mate for giving me the ability and confidence to do this im loving it!

How different is the ej20r engine loom to that of the V3/4? I have a dead v3 sti engine and I'm swapping everything over to my good 20r, including wasted spark setup, bcs etc. The engine loom appears to plug straight in. Anyone know whether I will still need to do the wiring mods at the ecu end, or just plug it in and she'll be good to go?

KarlGTB said:

How different is the ej20r engine loom to that of the V3/4? I have a dead v3 sti engine and I'm swapping everything over to my good 20r, including wasted spark setup, bcs etc. The engine loom appears to plug straight in. Anyone know whether I will still need to do the wiring mods at the ecu end, or just plug it in and she'll be good to go?

similar but some different pinouts, plug&play sounds too easy to be true, and it is. there should be some pinout information at the start of this thread