Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Track day tyres

I use Re 070's for the road and find them amazing, super stiff side walls for a road tyre. Tried some F1's and took them back after 20 KM's just couldn't stand the way the car walked all over the side walls.

Anyway started doing some track days and find the Re 070's go off after only a couple of laps and start to get quite squirmy.

Thinking R888's or Dunlop Direzza DZ03's ? Or has anyone got any experience with kumho ecsta C03 tyres they are a tarmac rally tyre ?

I have a set of 888's and they did the trick last trackday, had to upgrade the pads as they then became the weakest link in my setup. Haven't tried other semi-slicks yet so can't compare but they were definitely putting my current skillset to it limits on the track. I need a lil more practice before going the whole hog and chucking on slicks.

Yeah thanx, don't want to go the full slicks route either as from what I here you only end up putting too much load on various parts of the drive train and things start failing very quickly.

R888 is a good value for money semi slick - as they wear well being a hard compound (theres only one compound available in NZ).

If you are after just the best grip possible the 03G is basically the best semi slick around. They however cost alot and dont last very long (especially the new compound!). So if you do get them, you probably want to get the hard compound - which will still have a fair whack more grip than an R888 - which you would hope for at near to twice the price!

Other good options are the RE55S and the A048 which are a bit less pricey but still a quality tyre. Im not familiar with the Kuhmo or Silverstone range - although Im sure someone on here can pipe up with thoughts?

Another option is going 2nd hand. Especially if you wait for Targa to finish - as usually you get a few tyres popping up after the event.

Another option is ex-NZV8 slicks, which are extremely good value for money but you may well expose the limits of your cars sump and certainly the suspension using them.

I bought a secondhand set of DZ02Gs (I think they're the control tyre for one of the production series) and my car was 2 - 3 seconds a lap right off the bat (compared to the RE070s it usually runs). I also drove a car similar to mine running A048s on the same day and the DZ02Gs were miles (miles!) better. The one downside is that the DZ02Gs have tyre roar like you've never heard. When Tony Power (at RDL Performance) drove my car he said 'I thought I had left the oil out of the diff'. They're that bad.