Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine Crane in Wellington? Cambelt experience person?

Bazza-NZ

It shouldn't matter which ECU you use, the chip is an interceptor in which it takes figures from the sensors (AFM, O2 etc) and applies it own fuel map to..

A number of chips on the market will actually run yellow injectors are they are desgined to lean out the fuel maps a little, thus giving a little boost in performance (leaner = more air, less fuel = power)

(possible that you chip doesn't up the boost) What Chip you running? [brand etc] Provided you boost controller is plumbed correctly you will only remain to see normal boost pressure, as this part is not changed on the ECU, the chip just allows the use of no boost cut, it doesn't change the amount boost

i only get 15 PSI because i have a GFB tap in mine leaking vac pressure so the wastegate doesn't open as early

My advice would be to leave the boost where it is at the moment, when you get yellows, then i'd look at opening it up

Yeah i saw an increase in efficiency but i think that is due to the fact that i have removed the leaky injectors now got 378km to a fill tank with a fair bit of boosting around which isn't that bad really, might take the next tank easy.......YEAH RIGHT

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC5RA said:

One of the main benefits from a decent chip, is the off/on boost response.

By running a boost tap you will do away with the chips boost control parameters.

Yes its good, can't say i'd even go back to a standard ECU again, i got mine from re-map in which i got the dude to set it up the way i wanted it

mine is designed to lean our lower down (1-3k) to give a better pickup and response down low and then riches up from 3.4k to compensate for the turbo which is configured for a TD05 turbo

Having a boost tap is so much more fun.... beside i need it as i had problems with spiking using the factory setup (even with the restrictive pill) would spike anywhere from 15-25PSI before setting down to about 9PSI... with the tap i now get a steady 14-15PSI boost

madmike said:

I have been thinking about chucking a set of yellows in my RS...

The chip i have is supposed to be good to go for them..

Anybody got a cheap set lying around?

Trade Me would be your best bet, they range from about $100-250 a set

What chip you got in yours? i have this from Re-Map

18063_103299849696049_100000481043032_84

Bazza-NZ']

[quote name='madmike said:

Chip is from another guy but apparently is a copy. or similar to his chips parameters

/quote]

Sweet, yeah a set of yellows in and up the boost ;D might make things more interesting

I'm at 14psi at the mo..

So don't really want to go much higher just yet.. LOL

madmike']

Chip is from another guy but apparently is a copy. or similar to his chips parameters

/quote]

Sweet, yeah a set of yellows in and up the boost ;D might make things more interesting

I'm at 14psi at the mo..

Oh okay that make more sense now, last time i was talking you said you ran like 10 or so....

thats right you have problems with either

a) melting vac hoses

b) blowing vac hose off wastegate

sounds about right??

Bazza-NZ']

/quote]

I'm at 14psi at the mo..

Oh okay that make more sense now, last time i was talking you said you ran like 10 or so....

thats right you have problems with either

a) melting vac hoses

b) blowing vac hose off wastegate

sounds about right??

Ah yep... Had that problem at the last Manfeild Playday..

All sorted out now..

My TD05 is rockingnow..

Bazza-NZ']

/quote]

was this installed locally ben?

smokn4']

was this installed locally ben?

Nope it was installed up in Auckland, just sent me ECU away, told the dude my setup and he programmed it for me then installed, all up $150 plus $7 for postage

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Bazza-NZ, Your running an 8 bit chip; Is that an ECU you have carried over from an Series 1?

How have you installed the boost tap. As a bleed?

carried over?

Nope i have a non face lift car now, it was the one in the car when i traded for the GT..

I'm running an external wastegate so i just run a hose down from turbo inlet to wastegate and that works out a treat, i tried using the factory one but it would boost spike really badly, even after getting Subaru, STM to look at it, (replacing the part) In the end i just ended up using a tap

BC5RA said:

I didn't notice the Grey interior and Series 1 rear end :D

If you've bypassed the factory boost control then you won't be utilizing the chips parameters in that regard.

Yeah its a bit of a hybrid, series 1 rear end, series 2 front

What are you referring to in parameters for boost?, This chip just removes the boost cut, how would using the factory controller have any effect?

you sure? i through the only thing that 3 port thing did was controlled the opening and closing of the wastegate?

Bazza-NZ said:

What are you referring to in parameters for boost?, This chip just removes the boost cut, how would using the factory controller have any effect?

you sure? i through the only thing that 3 port thing did was controlled the opening and closing of the wastegate?

The chip should have programmed parameters for how boost is ramped up (the standard ECU limits boost at low RPM) it does this through the factory solenoid.

I use a bleed valve as an inline adjustable restriction to cap boost to whatever level I want, this way keep the chips rate of boost, It may be that you won't discern the difference as boost taps bring on boost faster than the stock setup.

BC5RA']

[quote name='Bazza-NZ said:

/quote]

The chip should have programmed parameters for how boost is ramped up (the standard ECU limits boost at low RPM) it does this through the factory solenoid.

I use a bleed valve as an inline adjustable restriction to cap boost to whatever level I want, this way keep the chips rate of boost, It may be that you won't discern the difference as boost taps bring on boost faster than the stock setup.

This does make some sense now i guess, sorry was hard or me to figure out what you were talking about.. I find using the external wastegate bring on full boost low down, with a VF8 boosting 15PSI i hit full boost just just after 3k

I might try your way and see if it makes a difference.. Thanks for that never through out it in that way

• 3 months later...
 Scoobydoo']

[quote name='Bazza-NZ said:

Last person i knew that had it was Matt, make contact there

/quote]

Matt should really pipe up himself, and get it back himself if he has lent it out.

It's at his mates workshop in seaview (i think), you would think that such a workshop would have hoists and cranes, etc...as part of their plant & equipment