Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What is safe boost to run through an EJ20

Caleb 895/1000

playerB said:

My EJ207DW4CR was running 18psi standard. Have installed a Greddy Profspec B and I now run a Low boost @12psi and High @17psi.

Although I do services every ~5000k (108k) car was un-modded before I got it.

And what does that have to do with a Non-STI's boost capabilities?

you cant give advice like this without answering a heap of other questions.... what mods does it have? intake/exhaust.... what ecu.... how are you going to boost it. are you intending on measuring your a/f somhow or just wind it up blindly? do some research first will make it a more controlled adjustment

********* said:

Standard pistons, rods & headgasket, injectors etc can handle 14 psi is O.k.

But first make sure you have enough fuel- you need to do a fuel delivery test & pressue test with the fuel reg pumped up to 14psi.& engine running make sure you still have fuel coming out of the return line from the engine.

you should also have 44.5psi fuel pressure at idle (vacuum line off reg & blocked off so theres no air leak)

There should be at least 59psi with the reg pumped up.

(the biggest problem with old WRX's & EVO's is the fuel pumps get tired & even at only 14psi you may not have enough juice)

Replace fuel filter & sparkplugs as well

If i was you i would replace fuel pump & fuel filter & sparkplugs

get the injectors checked & do a split fuel rail.

Also you need to run 98 octane or aleast 95 if you cant get 98

Irridium plugs seem to work better than platinum too.

My 97 WRX was quite happy with 16-17psi(was fitted with a brand new VF22 though).

80,000km, down pipe, standard everything else except muffler.

wats wrong with 12psi?

i did the forgie rebuild myself

je pistons $930

gasket set / threebond / acl race berings $540 ish

wrx heavyish clutch $440

how can it end up being $7000

either you want alot of work dun or ur gtin ripped

if you put the boost up id parrallel the fuel rails ta try save that 1 cylinder lol

i got a ver5 wrx non sti running a vf22 boosting 9psi at the mo but when the ebc arrives i'll be raising it to 14.7psi but thats just the beginning of the vf22 but i know i don't have the forged internals to run high boost for too long.

my engines done 212,000kms recently had its 2nd cambelt done gets serviced every 5000kms normally before the oil goes black.

QRAF said:

my engines done 212,000kms recently had its 2nd cambelt done gets serviced every 5000kms normally before the oil goes black.

ur car dosent sound that old.. quiet healty the last time i heard it.. i guess the 5k oil change helps...not like some who thrash their subarus and put cheap oil...i know a guy like that and soon enough his car started having issues... >:(

Hi Guys

I was the one who added the quote on the other page about checking your fuel delivery & fuel pressure.(last login was a touch offencive)

From my experiance every car is different, v1-v9,sti - non sti, mods, Km travelled,

Different model rods, pistons-fuel octane rating etc etc.

Some cars will last at high boost for years some might only last a few days.

I was always taught before you raise the boost in any car always check that you have enough fuel first. My advise is if in dought check your fuel delivery.

under 1 bar 14psi would be safe on a STD NON-STI as long as your ageing fuel system is maintained. ;D

Make sure you run 95 octane at least or your asking for trouble & if you have to fuel up in a dodgy little hick town garage dont even run 10psi because the fuel can sit around for along time & it loses its octane rating or gets contaminated with water & s##t.

pappu']

[quote name='Disruptz said:

Iv'e daily run 17.5 PSI on the td04 for 20k,..+ full exhaust, front & end pipes replaced on my v7.

/quote]

any difference in performance at the top end?

the mid would be prety hard.... 8)

Low -mid range yes... top, nahh like pissing in wind after 5500rpm.

• 10 years later...