Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CEL code 66 + Upper engine cleaner

aim

Hey guys, two questions.

I have CEL code 66 (something to do with turbos? and yes there is a distinct lack of power) according to the guide on here. Just wondering what I have to do? Is it fixable? Will I have to replace andy turbos? Should I take it into a dealership? I would like to do it myself as I'm keen to learn more about my engine - but I don't want to break anything :P

And can someone please post and/or provide a picture of where exactly to spray the Upper Engine Cleaner into the engine from? What vacuum hose and where on a '94 legacy RS (EJ20H)? Yeah I've searched the interwebs high and low but can't get detailed instructions.

Cheers heaps,

aim

• Like 1

aim said:

Hey guys, two questions.

I have CEL code 66 (something to do with turbos? and yes there is a distinct lack of power) according to the guide on here. Just wondering what I have to do? Is it fixable? Will I have to replace andy turbos? Should I take it into a dealership? I would like to do it myself as I'm keen to learn more about my engine - but I don't want to break anything :P

And can someone please post and/or provide a picture of where exactly to spray the Upper Engine Cleaner into the engine from? What vacuum hose and where on a '94 legacy RS (EJ20H)? Yeah I've searched the interwebs high and low but can't get detailed instructions.

Cheers heaps,

aim

66 is a b|tch to diagnose. might take a while - wait for the TT boys to rock up with suggestion.

for the UEC, pull off any of the vac hoses that go into tha manifld.. pick one and folllow the can instructions. real simple.

aim said:

are all those black hoses ontop of the engine vacuum hoses? There's one that joins with the intake hose that comes from the air filter, will that do? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. First real car :P

the small black hoses are the ones you want.. in side the manifold they are all just open into manifold. On the manifold end they are all the same.. generic if you get me.. The one you describe sounds like a good candidate.

just so your crystal.. you spray it into the manifold end.. car might be a touch rought with a vac hose off** but thats expected.

Ok thanks mate, done it and got the white smoke from the exhaust. Just allowing to sit for 10 min then with give it some revs and take it for a spin.

Just gotta wait for the TT guys to turn up and help me with code 66. Cheers :)

Well I resset the ECU and the CEL has gone away. However there still isn't much power... feels like a normal 2litre. The Gen3 B4 TT leaves it for dust. Definitely more than a 15-20 kw difference. It takes me over 15 seconds to go from a stand still 0 all the way up to 100kph. Any ideas? The turbos are quite loud... Maybe the bearings are gone and isn't spooling very well. It's like its limiting the throttle, even in neutral its painfully slow to rev...

Stolen from an ichi ban post, and if it fixes the prob then you owe him... wink.gif

most 66's are caused by failure of secondary BOV, they develop a vac leak internally (this triggers CEL when the vac tank empties out when under load) ie no engine vac

Primary BOV failure will also cause this code, and the car will only have a small amount of boost (4-5 psi normally)

Primary turbo wastegate seizing is another primary cause for 66

Some other items you need to check

Vac tank - is it still there or has some pannel beater thrown it away

Hose to vac tank - check it for leaks, often is damaged in small frontal impacts

Hey dubbedup, thanks for that post!

I think it may be one of the BOV's... As its painfully slow to rev... I reckon slower than most 2 litre cars. So here come the newby questions, what do my BOV's look like? and where are they? I googled BOV, ej20 etc, but all I get is shiny chrome Greddy BOVs with painted tops...

After I've located them, how do I diagnose they're the issue? just straight up replacement one by one? or is there a way to test without spending too much money?

my 66 was fixed by wither replacing one of the vac hoses that went to the manifold, or pulling off the bov from the passengers side and cleaning it out, fixed george and the 66

next stop starter motor!

(and maybe diy swap tired primary turbo over)

Hey guys, sorry to be a bother again!

But I've removed the BOV (I think) or rather the re-routing valve or whatever its called. It's just to the right of the intercooler. I assume I've got the right component. attached are some pictures to make sure.

Red arrow indicates hose I removed it from - There were two others coming from it's top and side that I also removed.

CrNcql.jpgjCFbSl.jpg

My question how would I got about cleaning it? I assume I only clean this one? As the other is hard to access and apparently is not your conventional BOV...

I did remove the AFM - but I don't really know what I'm looking for. It looked ok, and a I know mechanic thought the BOV was a more likely cause.

Ok thanks... I really should rename this thread as Twin Turbos for dummies. Because they're not the easiest systems to get your head around, and me trying to diagnose an issue with it isn't a particularly fast process :P

But here comes yet another question.

Is there something meant to be here?

XB5Jul.jpg