Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

start only with clutch depressed possible?

RAYDEO

theres just a clutch switch, wire it in series with the start signal cable that goes to the ecu (that cables in my leggy, not sure about ur car)

my car wouldnt start if when i didnt have the signal cable wired

-smurff

The start signal to the ecu is just to tell the ecu it should stabilise the ignition timing and revs because at cranking speed the cam and crank signals are too irregular to be useful.

The cars can start without the start signal to the ecu but it's a bit hit and miss and if the battery is a bit flat and/or the cranking speed a bit low they are more likely to not start, but no signal doesn't nessicarily mean they won't start.

If you want your car to not start you want that switch wired in series with the starter signal going to the starter.

• General Member

:P reasoning? I am up for a thoughtful and informative discussion {read thread jack}

mine is in the event of failure of the E-brake system... gears cease vehicle movement - proper operation of your vehicle dictates you should know what gear you are in at all times (without looking)

plus with the above mod installed you'd have to push clutch anyway (as if car is in gear all the time)

• Admin
 JoKer said:

:P reasoning? I am up for a thoughtful and informative discussion {read thread jack}

mine is in the event of failure of the E-brake system... gears cease vehicle movement - proper operation of your vehicle dictates you should know what gear you are in at all times (without looking)

plus with the above mod installed you'd have to push clutch anyway (as if car is in gear all the time)

I'm not sitting there waiting for my turbo timer to stop everytime...

i just wanted the clutch inhibit start as a wee safe guard.

JoKer said:

I live in the flattest place in the country, also grew up in the second flattest. I also start the car with the clutch depressed as a habit anyway. I also do leave the car in gear if its on a steep hill. I just generally leave it in neutral and have a pet hate for no real reason of cars left in gear. I did have a turbo timer for a few years aswell and that helped increase the habit.

• General Member

dont get me wrong - T-timer is a pain (I dont use mine unless at track/hoofing it)

I'm with pl0x - would be a pain, and even if you are using T-timer then why would you need to depress clutch to start car?

it is a good safety for the off chance koom may try and start your car in gear...

in saying that if you find a simple option Ray I may have to try it out to see for myself! (imagine a simple relay between starter and clutch micro-switch system best bet) - log1call said it 1st

also think of the security side - bet its not hard to clip cable from outside, roll car straight onto trailer/loader = no internal access/alarm activation (pending reed switch/mircowave sensors)

Koom']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

I live in the flattest place in the country, also grew up in the second flattest. I also start the car with the clutch depressed as a habit anyway. I also do leave the car in gear if its on a steep hill. I just generally leave it in neutral and have a pet hate for no real reason of cars left in gear. I did have a turbo timer for a few years aswell and that helped increase the habit.

or ummm when you walk away from your car with the turbo timer running?!! umm slight problem there..

im like koom, timer or not.. leave it in neutral,

that and i AWLAYS start the car with clutch in.. simple stuff to stop you that once your not paying attention starting into the car in front..

Its just habit now. the cltuch stopper thingy wud be nice mod id like in mine too, whos gana make them up :D

don't have a turbo timer, if ive been thrashing it ill do an extra cool down lap round the block. or just dont thrash it when your almost home

bad things about the clutch start:

needs to right RIGHT in, like push yourself into your chair you have to push i that hard (could just be mine)

on the hoist - need to be in it to start or leaning throught the window. again pressing hard down on the clutch while leaning threw the window while a car is semi in the air is a right pain

on the jack - need to get in/piece of wood. unless on axle stands i wouldn't be get in it... again how much harder is it...

both: muppets cant start it, someone working on your car/WOF says it wont start so wastes time, time is money.

again muppets cant start it. if they dont know some subaru have clutch start and cant think to try it id rather them not drive it anyway as they most likely dont know how to treat it, thiefs could think its alarm, GF's dont know how to start it - Jealous lol

for: the odd chance you start it in gear and give it abit of a jerk which would be way less force than a launch anyway

clutch start = fail

• General Member
 funkytown']

[quote name='Qwerty said:

turbo timer probably does more harm than good

/quote]

thats a very broad brush statement yer?..

I dont know why but am leaning towards agreeing with Qwerty (who seems to be almost right everytime)

log1call said:

Starting with the clutch in is not good for the thrust bearing which doesn't have any oil on it till the motor is running.

why the fuck do they have clutch start cars then? grr at subaru.

add another point towards clutch start = fail

funkytown']

/quote]

The problem is that at idle the oil pressure and hence flow of oil isn't much and doesn't carry away much heat.

If the turbo is really hot the oil will still carbonise.

So people have a false sense of security if they have been really fanging it and think the turbo timer will save the turbo and not do proper cool down procedures. Better to do what plox suggested

Anyways most imports don't have turbo timers mine didn't - so if the original turbo has lasted 10+ years without one - its hard to see the need for using one now.

JoKer']

/quote]

I dont know why but am leaning towards agreeing with Qwerty (who seems to be almost right everytime)

Haven't I been saying that for years ?

:D

Some basic mechanical sympathy beats fancy electronics every time.

;)

Qwerty said:

The problem is that at idle the oil pressure and hence flow of oil isn't much and doesn't carry away much heat.

If the turbo is really hot the oil will still carbonise.

So people have a false sense of security if they have been really fanging it and think the turbo timer will save the turbo and not do proper cool down procedures. Better to do what plox suggested

Anyways most imports don't have turbo timers mine didn't - so if the original turbo has lasted 10+ years without one - its hard to see the need for using one now.

Completely agree, I always do at least a 5 min cool down lap if the car has seen successive full boost pulls prior to switching off.