Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GC1 chassis

kamineko

Guest boostcut

they have less spotwelds holding the chassis together aparently? but i know when ppl build retnas they usually seam weld them to stop them flexing and ripping seams etc...

wrx_lou']

[quote name='kamineko said:

who has attempted their own msnz rated roll cage? there must be guidelines or spec avail to look at

/quote]

I would think something like that would need to be done by a ticketed welder.

Im pretty sure you dont actually..

IIRC you send your photos of some welds in on the cage if they think it looks ok then a ok..

Nick, the worst thing about seem welding a car like a retna, is that that instead of having decent amounts of seam welding is that it is held together by adhesive more or less, and you have to get rid of it all before you weld it up more.

And getting rid of it makes removing sound deadening seem like fun!!! The firewall in a retna is almost completely glued in, and it is a real c&*t of a job.

My personal opinion, is get a 4 door again, parts are easier to find if you have an off. Everyone i know that has tried hurting a coupe ended up hurting their wallets trying to fix it.

Guest boostin

Get the shell acid dipped maybe?? That will remove all the sound deadening and will let you see what you have to deal with.

I've heard of turbo engines in N/A shells twisting the chassis, so yeah, they're not as reinforced as a turbo shell.

nt_a_foz']

who has attempted their own msnz rated roll cage? there must be guidelines or spec avail to look at

/quote]

IIRC you send your photos of some welds in on the cage if they think it looks ok then a ok..

Don't need to be ticketed. I made a few cages for a local motorsports team a few months back. You can buy pre-bent cage kits for a GC8 chassis that require you to scallop out the ends of the tubes yourself and get it to fit correctly. Could be done with an angle grinder and some skill. The welding just has to be tidy looking as MNZ just want photo's as far as I know.

The details that you need to follow are laid out in the back of the motorsports manual.

I agree with Clint, seam welding a glued together chassis is soul destroying work.

Koom']

/quote]

Don't need to be ticketed. I made a few cages for a local motorsports team a few months back. You can buy pre-bent cage kits for a GC8 chassis that require you to scallop out the ends of the tubes yourself and get it to fit correctly. Could be done with an angle grinder and some skill. The welding just has to be tidy looking as MNZ just want photo's as far as I know.

The details that you need to follow are laid out in the back of the motorsports manual.

I agree with Clint, seam welding a glued together chassis is soul destroying work.

Hey Koom where do you get these pre bent cage kits?? And roughly how much?? Very intrested in this, i never knew that you could buy them as a kit.

HECK YES they have ;D That thing is a GM1 from memory (for some reason the yanks have to differentiate the coupe from the sedan), but same idea. Scrape out the adhesive, bash off the deadening, cage it like a caged thing and slap it silly with the power mods :P

Damn straight.

It may be worth seeing if there are a few N/As around with a lighter chassis. I was under the impression that the HX20s and the SRX are lighter, considering they are 1160kg. Kinda pricy car to rip to shreds though. But at least they are already 2.0L AWD.