Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car Sale Contract

nt_a_foz

Has anyone got a prewritten one lying round..

Some guys coming to pick up the RS tonight and want to write somehting up to say as is where is etc and no responsibilty on me for fines or if anything happens etc.

Anyone got one prewritten up they can send me??

Cheers

Brad

Guest lan_killa

This is an agreement between ______________ 'The Seller' and ___________ 'The Purchaser'.

On Monday the 18th of January 2009 at __:__pm The Purchaser has purchased the 199X Subaru Legacy RS in White with the registration _____________ from The Seller for the sum of $___________.

This vehicle has been sold AS IS WHERE IS, with no warranties or gurantees expressed or implied

The Purchaser will be responsible for arranging for the vehicle to be changed into his/her own name ASAP, untill then if any fines or infringements are received they will become the responsibility of The Purchaser and will be forwarded onto thier address.

Signed______________________ The Seller ______________________ The Purchaser

Address ______________________

Guest lan_killa

that should cover your ass, just fill in the blanks and alter the bold lettering to suit

Also you know that you can do the change of ownership online using a creditcard, so maybe an idea to get him to do it infront of you, then you know thats done

Guest lan_killa

Wouldnt be hard to add in another paragraph saying:

This vehicle is being sold by The Seller in good faith and has no securities registered on it nor money owing to the best of The Sellers knowledge

I am pretty sure these are not legally binding in anyway, seem to remember my law lecture explaining something.

Hoping there is someone on here with some proper contract law knowledge behind them to be able to yay or nay my previous comment.

Either way its the thought that counts and enough to try and put off any previous or new owners trying to pull something

subiv5 said:

I am pretty sure these are not legally binding in anyway, seem to remember my law lecture explaining something.

Hoping there is someone on here with some proper contract law knowledge behind them to be able to yay or nay my previous comment.

Either way its the thought that counts and enough to try and put off any previous or new owners trying to pull something

Im no lawyer however have sold a few cars on.

This should be enough to stand up in court (provided it has a date of sale, full ID details such as drivers licence number to confirm ID of seller&buyer and states "sold as is where is").

I used one similar to this in wording and got taken to court by a muppet who claimed that the contract wasn't worht the paper it was written on, he lost and had to pay my legal fees...

• 3 weeks later...

Was talking to someone the other about this. Even you have a contract as a private seller and something happens to the car, they can still take you for damages.

Like say, if they had the car 5 days and it blew up, they could do you.

Pretty dangerous really.

Easy solution would be to sell it as a lawn ornament. Its just a huge coincidence that you can also drive it but thats not its intended purpose.

That way as long as it doesnt spontaneously disappear or become invisible - its still capable of performing its duties as a lawn ornament.

Swindog said:

Was talking to someone the other about this. Even you have a contract as a private seller and something happens to the car, they can still take you for damages.

Like say, if they had the car 5 days and it blew up, they could do you.

Pretty dangerous really.

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/

The Act does not cover

* goods bought by auction or by tender

* goods bought from a private seller

* commercial goods - goods of a type that are ordinarily bought for use in offices, factories or farms may be covered by the Sale of Goods Act. The Sale of Goods Act may also cover those goods bought before the date the Consumer Guarantees Act became effective.

* commercial services - services of a kind that are ordinarily supplied to offices, factories or farms - eg, top-dressing, commercial property leases, commercial building maintenance, livestock transportation.

Was performance wholesale in invercargill i spoke too.

Was trying to get me to trade mine on this nissan he had. Said id sell it private. He informed me that with the car being so modified to sell, there could be some comeback under some section of a act. Not sure if this was consumers right guarantee or not but i dont think so. I should ring him and find out i think.

Apparantly a friend or friend of a friend of his got stung like this. I would assume that was because he was a car dealer too though. But he definately said you can line yourself privately now as-well. How much substance this fella has on the subject im not sure.