Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Reubens Second Single Conversion thread. 56k fail.

ReubenH

Righty, seeing as the old thread on this died with the old forums, i've been taking photo's on matt's single turbo conversion, so that i may document it better than last time. The goal is also to bin the old how-to thread and make a newer, easier, more literate, and more comprehensive one to replace it. In this thread, i'm just going to document the progress through matt's single conversion.

~

So, the story. This is Matt's, aka drunkenmonkeys car. And it has a blown primary, not uncommon. The fix, replace the the turbo, easy. A few hundred $'s later, and matt has towed the car up to my place from Auckland for me to work on, with a boot full of single turbo parts. I suppose that's one way of replacing the turbo! :D In reality, ever since he drove my car, has wanted to do a single turbo conversion, this was the excuse he needed, and with good connections here and there, has managed to source almost all the parts for well under $1000. Just the turbo left, but i think the total cost is still going to be around the $1000 mark!

So it begins!

The garage, it's actually a bloody nice place to work, even if a bit full of crap from the move up here to wellsford.

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5600.jpg

Last photo's of this car as a twin turbo.

IMG_5601.jpg

Bye Bye BBoD

IMG_5613.jpg

Making progess

IMG_5619.jpg

Almost ready for pull

IMG_5626.jpg

Had some trouble at this point... turns out the primary turbo hooked on the clutch fork pin, so wasn't seperating from the gearbox... f***ing twin turbo's!

IMG_5633.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

Up and out!

IMG_5643.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

Woops, left half an engine mount behind. Lucky i have spares. Also, powersteering pump caps leak oil when upside down, something i found when i did my conversion... Not good (cost me my pump, cause i drove it on no fluid).

IMG_5645.jpg

So far, i'd say 10 man hours to pull the engine, spread out over 2 days. With 2 experienced people working on it though, you'd be able to get the motor out in about 4 hours easy.

Tomorrow, i lay out all the single parts, and take pics of every item, so that people may better know what they need to buy for the conversion. Will see if i can get started on stripping everything off the long block, and doing the comprihensive conversion with new single turbo manifold and everything.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work. Ahh and Jase has come a loooong way since GTB2NV haha

If you guys are somehow still at it come February I'll pop up to check out this fancy new property of Reuben's and his shed of car carnage/rebirth... I might even get some 'supervision' in...

Guest Fastfour
 Dv8er - FSTWRX said:

Haha anyone else got a BG on 20's, the way the trend seems to go here you'll probably own a Spec C afterwards haha ::)

Paul likes to copy me hahah

Guest Fastfour
 BlkPnthr said:

Jase are those DTM Pentas? Put them on my BMW, very nice.. although yours was an inch bigger than mine ;)

They are TSW Kyalami's in Hyper black.

They ended up being sold seperately to the car and ended up on Jared JWDRPN forester which was onsold to Becca.

Well, here's pics of all the parts needed for a comprihensive conversion.

A Version 3/4 STi ECU

V3 sti, and type R = 6S

IMG_5668.jpg

A turbo. Such as a VF22, 24, 30 etc. From a single turbo subaru.

VF39.jpg

Single turbo Coolant supple and return lines. You can make your own

This is the supply line:

IMG_5661.jpg

Single turbo Oil return line (rubber pipe)

Single turbo Oil return line (Metal pipe in block)

IMG_5660.jpg

Single turbo exhaust manifold.

Up-pipe

Single turbo gear box cross member. Needed if you get a bolt on DP, not if you make your own downpipe.

IMG_5654.jpg

Downpipe

No Pic yet

Single turbo up-pipe bracket. (the one by the turbo)

No pic yet

STi Intercooler

IMG_5655.jpg

Intercooler bracket, if you got the intercooler. Single turbo ones are shorter as show here:

IMG_5666.jpg

Single turbo intercooler Y pipe. V3/4 and 5/6 are the same

IMG_5656.jpg

Turbo outlet to Y pipe hose

(Part of the Y-pipe pictured above if you got an STi y-pipe)

V3/4 Intake manifold (You get one because of this, the coil pack)

IMG_5670.jpg

Idle control valve supply line (metal thing that goes on top of the manifold)

IMG_5662.jpg

BOV (and associated pipes)

IMG_5772.jpg

BOV Return line/rockercover breather lines (Don't forget the little rubber hoses that connect it to the rockercovers!)(it's a metal pipe hudden on the underside of the manifold)

IMG_5769.jpg

Turbo Inlet/intake pipe

IMG_5659.jpg

Crank case breather line (I had to make my own)(the one picture is missing a pipe, will take better pics later)

IMG_5770.jpg

Right hand fuel rail if you want to do the split fuel rail, more on that later

No Pic yet

Single turbo solenoid bracket (This is so you can replace the BBoD)

Pressure select solenoid (a 3 port solenoid from a single turbo, this is only to tidy up the wiring, you actually already have one in the BBoD that you can use - but it has a great big plug with like 15 wires.)

IMG_5669.jpg

Bolts to block off the primary turbo's Oil supply, return and coolant return lines on the left hand head. These can be taken off an N/A

IMG_5667.jpg

Coil pack from a V3/4 or any N/A of the erra.

IMG_5665.jpg

Leads for coil pack, off a V3/4 only

IMG_5799.jpg

And ignitor for coil pack

IMG_5796.jpg

Gaskets for:

Intake manifold

No pic

*Throttle body (only $3)

No pic

Exhaust manifold

No pic

Turbo/up-pipe

No pic

Turbo/downpipe

No pic

ReubenH said:

Bolts to block off the primary turbo's Oil supply, return and coolant return lines on the left hand head. These can be taken off an N/A

IMG_5667.jpg

You can find these on any EJ20. They are on the front of the head to block the end of the oil gallery.

gazzy2000 said:

Haha, i thought i reckonised that manifold, i sold those ST V4 conversion parts on TM.

Great to see them being put to use! I may have that hose missing off the breather if you want it. Just need to know what it looks like.

so you sold him the twin turbo intercooler bracket instead of a single turbo one :P

btw thanks reuben for starting this for me :D