Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Reubens Second Single Conversion thread. 56k fail.

ReubenH

Koom']

[quote name='ReubenH said:

Bolts to block off the primary turbo's Oil supply, return and coolant return lines on the left hand head. These can be taken off an N/A

IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/Pilot_Reuben/Single%20Conversion/single-parts/IMG_5667.jpg[/img]

You can find these on any EJ20. They are on the front of the head to block the end of the oil gallery.

does the oil gallery run front to back of each head? and you can tap into it at both ends ?

-smurff

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boostin']

[quote name='smurff said:

does the oil gallery run front to back of each head? and you can tap into it at both ends ?

-smurff

/quote]

Yes.

then y on the secondary turbo dose the oil feed come off the front of the block, is this important?

there is a bolt in the gallery at the rear i guess, so i can change the feed for my secondary to there ?

-smurff

Guest boostin
 smurff']

-smurff

/quote]

Yes.

then y on the secondary turbo dose the oil feed come off the front of the block, is this important?

there is a bolt in the gallery at the rear i guess, so i can change the feed for my secondary to there ?

-smurff

I don't know. I didn't design the engine.

I guess you could.

boostin']

-smurff

/quote]

Yes.

-smurff

I don't know. I didn't design the engine.

I guess you could.

you dont know? how disapointing :P :P

think i may have to look into this, would make my plans a wee bit easier :)

-smurff

Drunkenmonkey']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

Haha, i thought i reckonised that manifold, i sold those ST V4 conversion parts on TM.

Great to see them being put to use! I may have that hose missing off the breather if you want it. Just need to know what it looks like.

/quote]

so you sold him the twin turbo intercooler bracket instead of a single turbo one :P

btw thanks reuben for starting this for me :D

Um, if i did i didnt mean to, i have the V4 intercooler brackets here if you want them. I must have got them mixed up after doing my TT to ST. Wudnt have done that intentionally, besides i can only use V5 brackets.

Drunkenmonkey said:

i got them with my intercooler, phillb just felt a little ripped off when i told him he couldnt on sell them cause they were twin turbo ones...

as he wud! well if phillb dosent need them and in good faith i can offer these v4 brackets for free to any CS member doing the TT to ST, postage incl, hows that sound?

They can be quite hard to track down.

Not much to show for the days work, but meh.

Started the day by removing the turbos. I hate twin turbo...

IMG_5678.jpg

Then removing the exhaust manifold, which promptly fell on the bucket of coolant...

IMG_5679.jpg

Primay oil return, and coolant feed

IMG_5680.jpg

Secondary oil return, and coolant feed

IMG_5681.jpg

My blanking bolt installed, nice. Just need to grab a big bolt to shove in the oil return pipe. Nothing glamourous about it, but it's easier that fitting a bloody frost plug, or cutting and welding the pipe like i did

IMG_5682.jpg

Intake manifold off

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

Always stuff a rag in the intakes to stop stuff falling in

IMG_5692.jpg

And by some miracle from the subaru gods, a subaru engineer actually did something RIGHT... there is JUST enough room to get the primary oil feed off without having to f*cking take the cambelt and cam wheels off. joy of joys!

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

Second blanking bolt installed

IMG_5697.jpg

Always sand your mating surfaces

IMG_5701.jpg

Comparing the single turbo and twin turbo heatercore lines.

IMG_5705.jpg

Installed

IMG_5708.jpg

Changing to single turbo oil return and coolant feed lines. Apply a prying force, and whack with a hammer to twist it up and down to remove.

IMG_5709.jpg

Out with the old, and in with the new

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

Stripping the intake manifold

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

And installing 2 right hand rails on the sti manifold, for a parallel fuel rail. Have yet to get the fuel hose for that.

IMG_5722.jpg

Having a perve of the sti manifold on the block. Genuine subaru red and silver cammo is the in thing for these model years

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

seeing you know alot about single turbo conversions and since ur doing one, can you please tell me how much it would cost me to do a single conversion on my TT b4 legacy 2001? thank you

KC said:

seeing you know alot about single turbo conversions and since ur doing one, can you please tell me how much it would cost me to do a single conversion on my TT b4 legacy 2001? thank you

I have done it on my GT-b 2001 BH5, i will let Reuben answer this properly regarding cost.

But pretty much the conv involves using a std STI V5/6 ECU which is factory tuned for 8.5:1 Compresison ratio and i would say your engine will be the same as mine 9:1. This causes too much advanced timing causing major detonation under load/boost.

Apart from stripping the engine down to change the CR, the only other option is to use a after market ECU like a possum link so you can tune it to suit.

Cost of a possum link varies, the whole cost of the conversion is dominated by how much you can do yourself and what else you want to do while the motor is out, i.e. clutch, water pump, oil pump seals and service, idlers, cambelt etc etc.

I got my insert possum link for $650 and avoided the cost of a dyno tune (another $700) as it was pre tuned from another clubsub member with a similar TT to ST conversion, so i was lucky. But that was still $650 i didnt budget for, taking the cost of my conversion to about $2000 and thats doing ALL the work myself.

Reuben will no doubt fill in the grey areas

Cheers

Guest boostin

KC's Legacy is a facelift which has the Denso ECU, and I'm pretty sure no single turbo ECU matches the wiring. Its only the BE/BH5 A/B/C's you can convert, not the facelift D's.

I have also been reading through this thread with great interest as well.

I can see all the engine department swap over stuff is pretty straight forward, My question is that i have been thinking about is the "ecu".

My legacy B4 RSK manual is the 2000 model with the 3 plug ecu.

I have gathered that a V5 or V6 ecu will fit in, but the hard part that i am still trying to figure out is, if it all plugs in what wires need to be changed over if any to make it all work ?.

Thanks if you can help :)