Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Trans oil change question

R.D

Im looking to do my first tranny fluid change as she (1997 sti, 150,000kms) doesnt like going into first/ reverse/ always a push to get into gear. I been doing heaps of research on nasoic etc etc, but every oil that seems to get recommended, someone else always complains that it gave them problems, redline 70w90ns etc.

So.. im thinking i should get the subaru oil, Extra S 70w90. Where wud i get this from? Winger? and it seems most tutorials on it, do not mention changing the gasket/s, but yet a few did. What do uou guys think??

Cheers!!! RD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big fan of Supercheap Auto flavor valvoline here. Has worked a treat in all of my gearboxes.

1st and reverse are always hard to get into it seems. Ive just got into the habit of slipping in and out of 3rd before i try to select either. That way 3rd synchro does all of the work.

Guest boostcut

also another demon oil for subie boxes is redline shockproof gear oil. its blue!! thats the good part. and its kinda like moreys in that it softensthe blow of engaging 2nd gear so fast that you smash the teeth off.

i know how you kids drive. you row the hell outa that stick like its in ya pants

well after spending another good hour of research on the fluids for the trans. And after discovering to my disappointment, that winger Subaru does not stock the genuine Extra-S 75w90, that most people are swearing by these days. I am going with what definitely seems like the runner up. Motul 300 gear oil 75w90.

Every single gear oil is receiving complaints, some more than others. the only negative side the motul 300 has received is that of being 100% synthetic, and that this is slightly too thin for the synchros to be 100% happy. But after reading pages upon pages of fourms about this exact topic, it still seems to be the winner. VERY VERY commonly used.

i know mag and turbo stock the motul range, so am hopefully gana acquire this liquid gold today. I will update once i do the change.

fingers crossed

-RD

Guest boostin
 keltik said:

I hope its crap. That way my motto of "shove whatever youve got in there" doesnt need to change

Yup, as long as its golden and slippery eh Ben....

Swindog said:

Castrol Syntrak mate.

just checked it out, seems beaut but it says "not recommended for limited slip diffs", and the front diff shares the trans fluid doesn't it? so is this gana be a problemo?

how much extra dos that cost tho?

just called winger to see what they used, never heard of it, was something like multi track?? googled it but nothing. He said i can get it there for $18 a litre seems pretty good. And it must be the GL5 bla bla.

interesting

"Basically, brass syncronizers like those used in my car do not work well in the presence of the friction modifiers found in most GL-5 gear oils, designed to make it compatible with limited slip units and capable of dealing with the shear and compression forces at work in differentials. Basically, GL-5 is at its heart a differential fluid, not a transmission fluid. Most other manufacturers recommend GL-4 or their own proprietary gear oil in their transmissions, and GL-5 in their differentials. But Subaru, since its front differential is in the same fluid bath as the transmission gears, requires GL-5 which is less than ideal for transmission shift quality but is the only thing to use to adequately protect the front differential.

The resolution for this is in synthetic oils which can achieve the GL-5 rating without the use of limited slip additives. Such ones include Motul Gear 300, Redline 75W-90NS and Royal Purple's gear oil."