Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RE050 Group buy - Auckland

Right. So my adrenalins are pretty much gone, iv'e got a few months left on them, and after megameet, they'll be toasted.

I got them from firestone brownsbay, and payed a brilliant price of $185/corner (retail was $240). I did this by organising to buy 2 sets from them, one for my dad, one for me. And there were different sizes too.

I asked the folks there what they would do RE050's (directional) for, and they said $220/corner, RRP $250. I asked if i got another buyer or two, would they drop the prices, they said yep. I'm hoping we could maybe get them for $200/corner.

So anyone who will be buying tyres in the next... say 4 months (giving a month after megameet), let me know, and i'll see what prices we can get.

Or, if anyone knows anyone in the industry that can beat $200/corner for them, let me know!!

Update: Drunkenmonkey talked to his mates at firestone GI, they can do RE050's for $196/corner (215/45R17) if we get 6 people!

So far...

Confirmed:

Reuben H; RE050 215/45R17 x4

lotech49; RE-11 215/45R17 x4

Shale; RE-11 215/45R17 x2

subiv5; RE050 225/45R17 x2

Maybe:

Gravelben; RE050 ???

Chrisjunkie; RE050 215/45R17 x4

Sharktale; RE050 235/45R18 x4

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC5RA, i reckon any potenza would do, the idea is we're bringing them more business, so they give us a discount.

Funky, i've not driven extensivly on the 050's, but they are by all accounts a very similar tyre to the 001's. Any reason to want the RE001's?

They're what i've got now, and they're only going to last a year/25,000k's. I do allot of hard driving, a good portion of that has been cruises and such. They get eaten out on the inside of the tyre, and being asymetrics, you can't swap them round (flip the tyre around on the wheel).

With the RE050's, you can flip them half way though their life, and start eating the other side of the tyre. Note, you can also get RE050a's, which are asymetric.

Though, i'll be honest, when i got my alignment half way through their life, after i put the steering rack in, there was a bit of toe on the rears which would have scrubbed a bit of tread off for sure. Getting an alignment immediately after you get new tyres is a very very very good idea... i just didn't have the cash to!

RE11 also looks nice..

if it was a group buy on Potenza's then keep me in the loop.

BC5RA said:

Thanks Reuben, I will be in touch closer to the time.

It could swing to 1 of 3 choices.

interested if you could flick me any opinions on said three choices. must say im very uneducated on them in general. Was mostly going of gutt feel and some feedback i found on CS + a mix of i love how they look (as stupid as thay sounds)

Mainly it's a cost choice.

Best price I can get for RE11's is $275 per corner, a fair bit more than $180-$200.

I have used RE01R's before and rate them as the best tire I've ever used (for myself) You couldn't get them in NZ, but I was lucky enough to pick up a set off an import. I would place the RE01R somewhere between a UHP tire and a semi slick, The RE11 is the replacement for those.

The main difference between those two is the RE01R is directional and the RE11 is not, as you can see is quite similar to the RE001.

The idea with an Asymmetrical tire is to allow it to be effective over a wider range of conditions, the two tread patterns have a specific design use.

Directional tire patterns primarily are aimed at wet traction.

RE11 would be the maximum performance effort road tire before going to the RE55S.

As for which to choose between the RE001 and RE050 I can't properly answer, In terms of outright dry grip I would lean towards the RE001.

Newsuba is a good one to glean an opinion from.

Personally i like directionals/symetricals and the wet weather traction. First ever set of "performance" tyres i had were directional, and i adored how much grip i had in the wet. Going from steelies to them was great. The 050's are an odd pattern, they don't look like the typical directional tyre.

bs_potenza_re050_ci1_l.jpg

vs the RE001.

Adrenalin_RE001.jpg

If you've got anything but a vanilla wheel alignment, both the RE001 and RE050 chew themselves out. At least with the RE050 you can flip it (DO NOT GET THE RE050A).

As I've discovered, the two different tyres have different properties in the wet - kind of an obvious one. The RE001s let go first without fail, and let go with vigeur!

RE050s have thus far worn about twice as well as the RE001s; half way through a set of RE050s in the time I'd be replacing Adrenalins AGAIN.

All in all a decent tyre. But I'm with the angry short man on this one - RE11 plz.

BC5RA said:

I have used RE01R's before and rate them as the best tire I've ever used (for myself) You couldn't get them in NZ, but I was lucky enough to pick up a set off an import. I would place the RE01R somewhere between a UHP tire and a semi slick, The RE11 is the replacement for those.

DITTO !

I also got a set off a JUC and IMHO they were BS' best road tyre.

As good as or better than the RE070 in the dry and much better in the wet.

On my GC8 STi, even better than the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and Toyo T1R.

They were even pretty durable.

My set had about 5mm of tread and lasted through ~18mths of road driving and track days.

The only downside was that BS NZ didn't bring then in. I recall asking them and they replied, sure, minimum order 55 tyres. WTF ???

Funny thing is BS Australia is selling RE01R's in limited sizes (leftovers ?) as motorsport tyres.

As for which to choose between the RE001 and RE050 I can't properly answer, In terms of outright dry grip I would lean towards the RE001.

Newsuba is a good one to glean an opinion from.

Thank you, thank you.

;)

050A/050 are pretty close; advantage 050A, its the newer design.

Both are pretty soft so you mileage freaks may be disappointed they don't last 40,000km...

;D

I'd go for RE001.

Or RE11.

Or any number of non-BS tyres.

;D

Out of curiosity (Im not needing to buy currently), how do the aforementioned Bridgestones compare to say the T1R or GSD3 (German manufactured only). I realise the RE11 is probably better, but probably shorter lifespan? But what about the others?

I mainly ask as from what Ive seen the Bridgestones seem to command a bit of a price premium over the competition? (Im not trying to knock what your doing Reuben - I think its an excellent idea).

Munkvy said:

Out of curiosity (Im not needing to buy currently), how do the aforementioned Bridgestones compare to say the T1R or GSD3 (German manufactured only). I realise the RE11 is probably better, but probably shorter lifespan? But what about the others?

The aforementioned BS are all in the next class up.

Wear rates are so variable according to car, conditions, driver etc but...

As mentioned, the 050's are soft (UTQG treadwear rating 140), the T1R, GSD3 are 300.

The RE11 has a rating of 180.

Guest Fastfour

I dont understand how you guys wear your tyres out so much. I had RE001's on my car and did 20000km on them and still went through wofs with 5's.

Maybe your wheel alignments aren't too flash.

And in saying that I was running more camber than what you guys do.

newsuba']

[quote name='Munkvy said:

/quote]

The aforementioned BS are all in the next class up.

Wear rates are so variable according to car, conditions, driver etc but...

As mentioned, the 050's are soft (UTQG treadwear rating 140), the T1R, GSD3 are 300.

The RE11 has a rating of 180.

Interesting thanks for that - good to know.

Personally I dont have a need for UHP tyres as my daily is just that a daily. But always good to know more :)

Jason - What car was that on? Your old GTB?

As for the RE050's, I've found them to be much much better wet or dry then Dunlop DZ101's and Toyo Proxes 4's. They're a bit noisier then the Toyo's but the improvement in feel, confidence and grip is definitely worth it. I'd say they're better then German made GSD3's as well but I ran the GSD3's on a completely different vehicle so it probably isn't a fair comparison.

Basically though, I've probably done 10,000km on them so far and they seem to be wearing well and evenly and they offer fantastic grip levels. I'm not running huge camber on the front but definitely more then factory (1 degree of negative camber from memory).

-1º is mint... need to get back to it myself for the sake of sanity on several fronts.

Interesting you mention the treadwear ratings of those tyres, newsuba. My alignment, being old, isn't wearing the tyres fantastically (but I've been lazy, sadly, and held off until I completely wreck said alignment with new parts) and two of the tyres mentioned have reflected their treadwear ratings on my setup.

Given the RE-11 has a higher treadwear rating, one would assume it's not as terrible as some people (that sell them grudgingly) make out. At the end of the day a near semi-slick design probably isn't ideal for daily driving, though tempting...it's not like the MIGHTY N/A sees a heck of a lot of competition time.

Jase, in regards to the RE001 you're probably right. The RE001s seem to have a reputation for extremes - chew the heck out, or go forever. 20,000km is pretty reasonable for a tyre like it, particularly when they keep dropping the price on a set.

Fastfour said:

I dont understand how you guys wear your tyres out so much. I had RE001's on my car and did 20000km on them and still went through wofs with 5's.

Maybe your wheel alignments aren't too flash.

And in saying that I was running more camber than what you guys do.

Ditto.

Bad setup + bad driving ?

:D