Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Has anyone used ferodo ds2000s on the track?

555v7sti']

[quote name='newsuba said:

Same friction material as the TS2000.

Good for casual track use.

Affordable.

/quote]

I got quoted $550 incl gst for fronts and backs for mine from racebrakes for ds2000, that's pretty decent isn't?

That sounds about right... they're not cheap. In comparison, a full set of Bendix Ultimates cost me $250 from BNT three months ago.

I *believe* Repco sell Ferodo pads these days so it would be worth asking them for a price. Racebrakes are not known for being cheap.

I'm pretty sure BNT sell Mintex but could only get the M1155's which I've never tried.

555v7sti']

Affordable.

/quote]

I got quoted $550 incl gst for fronts and backs for mine from racebrakes for ds2000, that's pretty decent isn't?

Yes.

Cheap compared to full racepads (Endless, Project Mu etc.) or even factory Brembo replacements.

Don't forget some decent brake fluid too, eg. Motul RBF600

newsuba']

Affordable.

/quote]

Yes.

Cheap compared to full racepads (Endless, Project Mu etc.) or even factory Brembo replacements.

From memory the Motul RBF600 was $15/half litre bottle from BNT :)

SpotMe']

Affordable.

/quote]

Yes.

From memory the Motul RBF600 was $15/half litre bottle from BNT :)

Yep got a litre from BNT. Unlucky considering I took my car in for a service at subaru and they put fresh subaru fluid in it just after I brought the motul brake fluid :(

D'OH!

On the topic of fluid, what do the race-wise prefer? DOT-what, focus on higher boiling temps?

We just did a fluid flush on the Impreza; went DOT4 for the time being, and went for the Castrol stuff rather than Repco crap because the boiling point is far higher. Will do another full flush before hitting the track, with whatever is recommended by the racing oldfags ;D

I dunno if Im an oldfag, and Im no expert. But I have always been happy with RBF600. Im currently running some fancy Elf stuff that seems to work exactly the same but retails for more (only using it as I get trade price for it and not RBF600).

I used TS2000s on the front of my wagon, and im fairly confident my car is one of the heaviest in ClubSUB. They worked great on the track for me, no fade and no noise on the road. I honestly dont see how you could possibly get them to fade on the road with good fluid.

On the track however i was at their limits. By lap 2/3 coming into turn 12 on Taupo or Dunlop at Manfeild I had to really stand on the pedal to get the speed down. If I had a bit more horsepower id be looking at the DS2500 instead

Using Lucas DOT 5.1 fluid. Will stick with it if i can get it again, otherwise will switch to RBF600.

Also using slotted Znoelli rotors and would NOT bother with slots again. Total waste of money.

Interesting as it only took 5 or so minutes of very spirited driving in the Commodore (VS which weighs somewhere between 1350 and 1450kg) to get them fading. This was with the appropriate ELF 5.1 high temp fluid as well.

My understanding is that the fluid doesn't help reduce brake fade anyway. The point of the high temp fluid is so it doesn't vaporise leaving you with no brake pedal when things are hot and working hard. Vapourising brake fluid is not brake fade, that is brake failure!

Well technically brake fade can be defined as any reduction in braking performance. Therefore exceeding the working temperature of the pads OR the fluid is still brake fade.

You shouldnt be able to get your rotors to 500degrees C on the street. Unless youre towing something extremely heavy or going down a BIG hill at a ludicrous speed (Matarangi to Coromandel :P)

Boiling brake fluid IS brake fade. Pads de-gassing IS brake fade. My car is 1700kg on the scales and the only time i get brake fade is when im doing something stupid.

I use the ferodos in the wrx with rbf600 and it has seen track time on them. I think they need some heat in them to work but certainly not scary, just a quick pump on the pedal on the street to build pressure and all good. Track they were more than good.

I found the first stop of the morning with the TS2000's felt worse then stock pads. It didn't help that my first stop of the morning was at the lights at the bottom of Newton road which is reasonably steep.

I disagree, boiling brake fluid is brake failure, not brake fade.

As for fade on the street, methinks Keltik that you haven't tried hard enough!

SpotMe said:

I found the first stop of the morning with the TS2000's felt worse then stock pads. It didn't help that my first stop of the morning was at the lights at the bottom of Newton road which is reasonably steep.

so whats the step in between normal brakes and when the fluid starts to go off? ;) brake fade right.. you dont just get brake failure.

Depends how bad you have boiled it the corner before but normally you will get soft pedal feel before they fail to work. Depending on your fluid. I have used castrol race dot 4 and boiled them in one lap.

RBF600 is still in there from my last track day and working fine. Should change it though. I also use it in the kart and never had a problem...those brakes see some heat!

funkytown']

[quote name='SpotMe said:

/quote]

so whats the step in between normal brakes and when the fluid starts to go off? ;) brake fade right.. you dont just get brake failure.

As swindog says, that would be a soft pedal.

I think it is important to use specific terms for specific problems, hence why I class brake fade as being the pads being unable to grip the disc (either because of gas or heat buildup), soft pedal is the fluid getting too hot and brake failure being when the pedal hits the floor due to the fluid boiling.

With specific terms, everyone is on the same page, and the specific problem can be identified and addressed.