Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CRAP truckers

newsuba

WTF is it with truckers lately ?

Have they collectively lost their driving skills ?

First;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/3362484/Truck-tips-on-bend/

Now;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3368810/Rolled-truck-dangling-from-bridge

The first one was pure idiocy with the driver going too fast but this second one ???

I know that road well, the bridge is narrow but straight as an arrow, driving conditions are near-perfect today and that truck just tips over ?

???

You can drift those, didn't ya know.

On a similar topic, saw several acts of stupidity this week. Mostly related to empty tractor/trailer units getting a bit boost-happy and having to slam the picks on to avoid smacking into people.

Maybe there's something in the water. Stay tuned to the next T&D mag to see if there's a rant ;D

A lot of the trucks here are speed limited and GPS tracked

comes down to person behind the wheel really,and also the company they work for

most of the professional drivers out there are exactly that professional

maybe they just having an off day :)

still no one was hurt so all good really

newsuba said:

Do Aussie trucks have speed limiters ?

About time they fitted them (and tackgraphs) to NZ trucks as per Europe etc.

Yes they have limiters, but it is easily modified or removed or disabled...

they need to use the system from Europe with the disks and the little machine that looks like a DVD player!

That's the tachograph I mis-typed in my post.

:D

Those disks are fancy wax paper !

They record speed and time information.

But too easy to fiddle so they have switched to digital ones that record onto a smartcard.

With GPS logging becoming more common even those will probably disappear.

seriously there are soo many time i get annoyed with them and what can i do about it? we aint allow to make any call while we are driving to report it. i see this truck the other tail gating a bloody family wagon filled with children inside on the motorway. i was like wtf the van is doing 100km/h already there is no need to go up that close

Guest lan_killa

I think what we are seeing is that the trucking industry has had a big avaliable pool of experienced older drivers, but these drivers are now retiring either to a desk job (ie dispatching) or just retiring completely. In the past when a company would look at taking on another driver they would of had pleanty of very experienced drivers to pick from, but now they arent getting much choice so are having to take the risk of employing noobs, this wouldnt ordinarily be an issue, but because theyve lost the experienced drivers theres no one left to teach the noobs.

Other thing that is concerning is the speed factor, now alot of drivers do pick up the pace a bit as once they run out of driving hours thier stuck, thats it, they have to stop driving or risk big fines/penalties, so they want to get to the finish point asap

just my 2c worth

Guest lan_killa

wow... not so good

shall see if i can find the ones of a 4 truck collision a few years back, was pretty nasty, one of the engines was found about 20 meters from the truck it belonged to,

funkytown']

[quote name='NotAWhiteGTB said:

I know iv posted this somewhere else before, but this is a semi decent crash a customer of ours had not long ago... :S

url=http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n221/anotherwhitegtb/DSmith/]DSmith Crane Hire Rollover[/url]

how the fuk did this happen..?

thought the same was speed an issue on the straight road or was the road softer in parts than others.

When I was towing the RS to Auckland and back last week I spent alot of time drafting off trucks and following them on bypass roads to keep out of the cities and it was an interesting experience.

One or two trucks were going comfortably over 100km/hr and were tail gating, as well as some very dodgy overtaking manouvers. But the vast majority were really good to follow :)