Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

evowrx said:
How do you know its rich just stinks like fuel/black smoke or from wideband afr/dyno run? If it hasnt had a tune or check in your ownership it would be a good idea.

Black smoke on boost... I did have the afrs checked before taking the motor out because I had been told about the black smoke and so my theory was bore wash causing the oil usage. But the afrs were supposedly lean on boost... which made me start thinking that the oil rings were bad and that the black smoke I was told about was really blue... the sun was going down when the black smoke was sighted, so I thought that it must have been blue smoke. But the oil rings looked in good condition... so I thought it must be the valve stem seals... so I replaced those, but still using mega oil. So then I changed the turbo... still using oil. But now I'm back to square one... and the smoke is black... as it has been the whole time, and I must have been given a bad AFR reading... probably due to the extreme richness or oiliness of the exhaust gas. I have always intended to get a tune before driving the car hard... but I have been chasing the oil problem and not wanting to get a tune before that was fixed... when possibly the tune was all that was needed in the first place. Knowing my luck though I will get a tune and still have an oil problem, and I'll need to do a re-bore, replace the pistons and rings and all the bearings.

Edited by loner

Bought a BG5 GT for cheaps as a bit of a fixer-upper yesterday. Today, removed IC and downpipes to inspect turbos (mint, no play),

dropped the driveshaft and replaced shifter bushes, found a suspected exhaust leak in the headers so will replace them and a

replacement clutch slave to go in at some point as well.

Full of STi goodies, pedal covers, short shifter, struts, carbonfibre trim and strut brace so pretty happy!

• Admin
 loner said:
Ordered an AEM wideband. Should have done so a long time ago.

What one did you go with? Chuck up your opinion of it when it turns up. Currently toying between an AEM and Innovate one for mine. Seems most of the **** reviews the Innovate used to get were back when they used the 4.2 sensor

Edited by Andy_Mac

Im running the one i linked. I like the fact you dont need to calibrate it. The voltage table for ecu calibration is all **** need to do it manually. Should really anyway just like dead times but if its just to give you an indication itll be mint.

Andy_Mac said:
What one did you go with? Chuck up your opinion of it when it turns up. Currently toying between an AEM and Innovate one for mine. Seems most of the **** reviews the Innovate used to get were back when they used the 4.2 sensor

Went with the one evowrx posted (AEM Wideband UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge 30-4110)... not having to calibrate and easier wiring won me over.

loner said:
Ordered an AEM wideband. Should have done so a long time ago.

Is the oil ending up in the exhaust? As I don't think you want to put a wideband in if it's gonna get coated in oil? And I take it Dan looked at the maps?

Sounds like it's Evo time for you!

Munkvy said:
Is the oil ending up in the exhaust? As I don't think you want to put a wideband in if it's gonna get coated in oil? And I take it Dan looked at the maps?

Yep said that further up definitely dont want to do that.

Munkvy said:

Dan said is was lean on boost... which doesn't explain the black smoke. If the tune is causing the oil consumption and I can't use a wideband, I'm pretty ****ed.

Also when Dan looked at it, the fuel pump was on it's way out and the AFRs were going pretty crazy, on cruise it would be stoich... then randomly go very rich... then back again. same sort of thing at idle, but super rich... so I don't think his readings meant a lot.

Edited by loner

Chris_chch said:
Been out all weekend trying to put some run in K's on the new car... At about 600km's now, and it's really loosening up nicely!

Arthurs Pass in the pouring rain on Saturday...

26040926894_1ecbcb2641_o.jpgWRX by Chris Stephens, on Flickr

Looking good!

Another member, DacerX and myself were going to cruise up to Arthur's but the weather put us off.

evowrx said:
Hows your alternator health could be varying injector voltage? Can you log the ecu?

no logging... got to pay to unlock it. not noticed anything wonky with voltages though. will get injectors checked tomorrow.

****en motec... $300 to unlock 1mb of logging... $560 to unlock lamba control, though I don't know

if I could just log the lamba values without that enabled or not.

Edited by loner

loner said:
no logging... got to pay to unlock it. not noticed anything wonky with voltages though. will get injectors checked tomorrow.

****en motec... $300 to unlock 1mb of logging... $560 to unlock lamba control, though I don't know

if I could just log the lamba values without that enabled or not.

Just watch it should be pretty easy to tell what its doing. Just check dp isnt coated in oil.