Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Well, a couple of days ago I went to install some LED's.

Full interior led swap, with Park lights and rear driving lights.

Couldnt do the brake/driving lights as I kept popping fuses and melted 2 leds.

Turns out Subaru use a weird "ck" type rear brake light holder, so if using incandescent lamps it works fine, but as soon as you use a polarity sensitive lamp it creates a dead short and popps the parklight fuse.

Fast forward to tonight

Repinned 1 led, rushed it a little which cooked that led too. Ffs.

Tool the last one home with me, sat down and spent some time with a multimeter and some drawings

Great success, I correctly Repinned it and it works!!!

Collect second brake light led on Wednesday to repin, so by this time next week i'll have led Park/brake lights in the rear too. Very happy

The car was very cheap. I painted the piping semi gloss black this evening so it looks a lot nicer at least :P The intercooler needs redoing anyway since the cooler itself hangs too low. THe car was actually built quitea few years ago as a demo/test car for the supercharger kits, the latest kits are much tidier and use optional water injection instead of an intercooler to cut down on the massive intake path/throttle lag.

Its quite fun to drive though, the stretched ling longs make it exciting even, just not the right kind. Those will be going in the next week.. I mainly bought the car for the engine/box/adjustable suspension and hard top to go on my other car, but will be taking both cars to taupo in september and run this as is, as a shakedown on the engine/box before we do.

My naturaly aspirated car already corners faster than my old STI, so with a 50% bump in power it should come pretty close in overall laptimes as well.

The BG5 failed a W.O.F last week...

So replaced rear rotors, pads and calipers that came off a BH5, balanced the handbrake from scratch and resolved a wiper bushing issue with a cable tie.

Took it back this morning for a recheck and good to go!

SpeedySub said:
I think it was, if it was around 7:40ish this morning. Thats the detour to Woodham Road? If I knew you'd be watching I would have washed it!!

I was right behind you!

Saw the ClubSub sticker and thought I need one of them!

What is this "washing" you speak of?:confused:

SpeedySub said:
...put my Clubsub sicker on the back. Ive heard these give it 10% more power!

Close, but it actually gives you an extra 10% retardation. I say "extra" because driving a Subaru already gives you 50% retardation.

Edited by loner
retarded

Andy_Mac said:
Bought a bunch of stupidly expensive LED's with the hope they won't crap out every few months like the cheap ebay/amazon ones.

3294E86A-E638-4A38-B53A-C01B7B8A1C67_zps

Nice, did you buy these locally?

Next time maybe try these guys https://www.facebook.com/ultimateleds

I've been using them for the last 4 years or so on all my cars. The interior and park light LEDs on my RA have been installed for nearly 3 years and still sweet.

Had them fitted to my Toyota Crown as well. All lights changed except for the fog lights.

3f5do0kh.pll.jpg

• Admin

Haha not like its some intensely hard project. Pull covers off, remove old bulbs, chuck them as far as you can, install new ones, enjoy some LED crispness and hope like hell they last

And na, got them from the retrofitsource. Decided it'd be worth trying out the ptions from some well known brands.

Those UltimateLeds ones look alot like the ebay/cheap nasty ones i've had before. Got some from HKS180 on Liberty.asn.au which crapped out real fast too, non branded ones so probably cheap crap too.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Haha not like its some intensely hard project. Pull covers off, remove old bulbs, chuck them as far as you can, install new ones, enjoy some LED crispness and hope like hell they last

And na, got them from the retrofitsource. Decided it'd be worth trying out the ptions from some well known brands.

Those UltimateLeds ones look alot like the ebay/cheap nasty ones i've had before. Got some from HKS180 on Liberty.asn.au which crapped out real fast too, non branded ones so probably cheap crap too.

haha write up as in product review

• Subscribed Member
 Andy_Mac said:

Got my HIDs for my Mitsi from them, have had 0 issues for the last few years, great company to deal with though.