Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

5 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Replaced all six spark plugs over the weekend. They were well due for replacement but no bad signs, just the usually wear and tear.

O2 sensor was also replaced. Cleared the CEL on startup... only to re-appear 1 minute later.
Will have to visit @Kiwi_Fozze or @Subirex Automotive to scan the ECU again.

You sure you got the right sensor replaced? :D Not sure about BEE but BLE had four of them :D

Bit of a late post but I've done an oil change and gearbox oil change on Sunday.

Oil changes are sweet as on this car (a 95 Impreza WRX) no worries about having to battle an oil filter that won't come off lol

But it was my first time doing gearbox oil and that was initially a mish to find the 21mm plug, removing RF wheel makes it easier though

I was shitting myself cos biggest socket I have is 3/4" and 20mm, to my surprise the plug just came off by hand LOL. There was maybe 1/2 a teaspoon of metal shavings on my plug though. 

Currently running around with 2.5l of penrite 75/90 gl-5 rated stuff, I think I should buy another 2.5l bottle and top it up and also do the rear diff... thoughts?

7 hours ago, swamp said:

Bit of a late post but I've done an oil change and gearbox oil change on Sunday.

Oil changes are sweet as on this car (a 95 Impreza WRX) no worries about having to battle an oil filter that won't come off lol

But it was my first time doing gearbox oil and that was initially a mish to find the 21mm plug, removing RF wheel makes it easier though

I was shitting myself cos biggest socket I have is 3/4" and 20mm, to my surprise the plug just came off by hand LOL. There was maybe 1/2 a teaspoon of metal shavings on my plug though. 

Currently running around with 2.5l of penrite 75/90 gl-5 rated stuff, I think I should buy another 2.5l bottle and top it up and also do the rear diff... thoughts?

Gearbox takes 4l iirc. 75w90 gl5 is what you need. 80w90 gl5 is better for the diff but not a biggie.

What were the shavings? Yellow metal/synchro or chipped gears? How does it shift?

5 hours ago, evowrx said:

Gearbox takes 4l iirc. 75w90 gl5 is what you need. 80w90 gl5 is better for the diff but not a biggie.

What were the shavings? Yellow metal/synchro or chipped gears? How does it shift?

They were small shavings with a couple of bigger lumps.. so I'm guessing synchro debris mainly.

It shifts better now, much smoother and I can get into first gear without trouble if I want to. Still has that reverse gear crunch/not getting into gear on occasion but I'm guessing that's worn synchros. 

Needs a short shift kit though! :) 

I'll grab another 2.5l bottle of the stuff and chuck a litre in my rear diff then.

2 minutes ago, swamp said:

It shifts better now, much smoother and I can get into first gear without trouble if I want to. Still has that reverse gear crunch/not getting into gear on occasion but I'm guessing that's worn synchros. 

No synchro on reverse. If you are moving at all or have only just depressed the clutch it will/may crunch (even after you have depressed the clutch things are still briefly spinning in the gearbox under their own momentum).

It shouldn't crunch if you are stationary and you wait ~1 second after depressing the clutch before selecting reverse.

The not getting into gear thing is just the fact that sometimes the gears are not lined up correctly and there is no synchro, completely normal.

• Like 2

• Admin
On 8/07/2017 at 0:52 PM, thewabbit1 said:

oUIrmvm.jpg

Testing some new wheels.... Thoughts? Not sold on the bright gold...

Ended up buying them, near new re003s on them too. Handle so much better than my old tyres, way less road noise and 45 profile so my speedo reads (more) accurate!!

• Like 7

'Winter-proofed' my car,

applied rain-x and rain-x fog repellent to windscreen

fitted new triton flex wipers

new headlight bulbs (Narva H4 Plus 130s)

I've done about 4 trips to Tauranga and back (I'm from Auckland) and usually go down on a Friday night after work. Usually, it's very wet/foggy/dark. Tested bulbs in my driveway and they seem OK, I expected similar to what I've had in new cars (I've driven a 2014 Mercedes-Benz C180, 2014 Holden Malibu, and 2016 Toyota Corolla for reference) but then I remembered I don't have HID projectors or bulbs. Duh. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, swamp said:

'Winter-proofed' my car,

applied rain-x and rain-x fog repellent to windscreen

fitted new triton flex wipers

new headlight bulbs (Narva H4 Plus 130s)

I've done about 4 trips to Tauranga and back (I'm from Auckland) and usually go down on a Friday night after work. Usually, it's very wet/foggy/dark. Tested bulbs in my driveway and they seem OK, I expected similar to what I've had in new cars (I've driven a 2014 Mercedes-Benz C180, 2014 Holden Malibu, and 2016 Toyota Corolla for reference) but then I remembered I don't have HID projectors or bulbs. Duh. 

I'm a big advocate for those rain-x products, definitely worth the buy imo. Can beat windows that barely fog up and never needing you wipers because all the water just beads off the windscreen over the roof.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drtydog said:

Did a quick test fit. clearance is clearance right? also are legacy's 12x1.25 for wheel nuts? i need to get narrow wheel nuts to suit these rims

ypp3H2M.jpg

BvbI1cD.jpg

Rims not come with nuts?

20 hours ago, drtydog said:

Bought some new shoes. Haven't done a test fit yet so hopefully the clear the brakes

20170713_120230_zpsntgrjs2o.jpg

Yo these are tasty! what be the name of them? what size did you go for mayne? offset etc details please :) 

-

also, those brakes look pretty gnarly as well, rekon they will fit over brembeezys?

-

also excuse the bad english i dont know why i just typed like that :B 

8 minutes ago, THUNDA said:

Yo these are tasty! what be the name of them? what size did you go for mayne? offset etc details please :) 

-

also, those brakes look pretty gnarly as well, rekon they will fit over brembeezys?

-

also excuse the bad english i dont know why i just typed like that :B 

They are xxr rims, not sure what model. took a punt cause they were only $900  delivered. said punt appears to have paid off :D

they are 18x8.75 +33 offset. i am positive guard rolling will be required...how much remains to be seen. i'll get tyres fitted next weekend, and by then my coilovers should have arrived :D

Just now, drtydog said:

They are xxr rims, not sure what model. took a punt cause they were only $900  delivered. said punt appears to have paid off :D

they are 18x8.75 +33 offset. i am positive guard rolling will be required...how much remains to be seen. i'll get tyres fitted next weekend, and by then my coilovers should have arrived :D

Nice, dang +33 wouldnt be good for me, so hard to find a good looking aftermarket set with +50-+55 offset, on top of that fitting over brembos lol, the rear guards in the bc5 go straight up, so no alot of wiggle room, maybe 15mm with the guard rolled, i always like at least 1/2 the tyre covered by the guard in the rear, if I could have it my way id have the whole tyre covered lol

1 minute ago, THUNDA said:

Nice, dang +33 wouldnt be good for me, so hard to find a good looking aftermarket set with +50-+55 offset, on top of that fitting over brembos lol, the rear guards in the bc5 go straight up, so no alot of wiggle room, maybe 15mm with the guard rolled, i always like at least 1/2 the tyre covered by the guard in the rear, if I could have it my way id have the whole tyre covered lol

Yea I've been looking for ages for something decent. these came up and i thought why not give them ago. there is about 1mm clearance to the front caliper so i think I've gotten away with it

• Like 1

Just now, drtydog said:

Yea I've been looking for ages for something decent. these came up and i thought why not give them ago. there is about 1mm clearance to the front caliper so i think I've gotten away with it

Sounds the same as my v7 wheels and my brembos, the fronts have like 1mm clearance, what brakes are you running?