Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

12 minutes ago, Conducks said:

Tuner said he chucked in more boost but it didn’t make a difference, I’m on 17PSi atm which is only 1PSi above factory. I really think I’m limited by my injectors and fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does he tune many subarus?

• Admin
12 hours ago, Conducks said:

I just want the NZPC 300kw club sticker hahaha, all the other cars he’s tuned to 300kw have them, I asked about wheel power and he said they only record flywheel power because it’s more accurate. And it must be pretty accurate because he said before he tuned it my car made 220kw, Subaru quotes 225kw stock.

The tuner is a goomba if he thinks that a (presumably rolling road?) dyno figure, with an arbitrary made-up correction factor for flywheel power, is more accurate than a hub dyno.

If you're going to quote a made-up number, may as well just make up a ridiculous one. Shoot for the moon, put a 500kw club sticker on it.

• Like 5

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Conducks said:

The dyno results said 253kw on 11.6PSi and 265kw on 17.4PSi. So I must be choked by fuel?

I don't know how you can conclude you are choked by fuel based solely on that.

You tuner should be able to tell you your injector duty cycle, which will tell you with 100% clarity, no wet finger in the air bullshit, if you are running out of fuelling. If your tuner cannot tell you this, they are a potato and should not be tuning cars that use injectors.

I know bugger all about the intricacies of the latest motors, but presumably they are running similar injectors to the older ones, approx 565cc/min.

This will fuel you to around 240 real, actual, proper, not made up, wheel kw. Depending on the bullshit factor the tuner is using on his dyno, this is going to be roughly 300 made up flywheel kw, although all of these figures are using 98 octane, and I don't know if you are.

EDIT: My rough calculations say you're probably making about 210-215wkw, meaning you likely have another 20-odd kw in your fuel system, and you are probably being limited by the turbo, or something in your exhaust (do the new ones have a catted up-pipe?) or maybe, just maybe, the topmount intercooler.

If you're on 95 octane, that's a pretty good number, and the problem is the turbo, end of discussion.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, boon said:

You tuner should be able to tell you your injector duty cycle, which will tell you with 100% clarity, no wet finger in the air bullshit, if you are running out of fuelling. If your tuner cannot tell you this, they are a potato and should not be tuning cars that use injectors.

This. If your tuner doesn't know what the duty cycle is you're up the creek without a paddle man.

Edited by YoungOne
  • Like 1

I don't know how you can conclude you are choked by fuel based solely on that.

I know bugger all about the intricacies of the latest motors, but presumably they are running similar injectors to the older ones, approx 565cc/min.
This will fuel you to around 240 real, actual, proper, not made up, wheel kw. Depending on the bullshit factor the tuner is using on his dyno, this is going to be roughly 300 made up flywheel kw, although all of these figures are using 98 octane, and I don't know if you are.

EDIT: My rough calculations say you're probably making about 210-215wkw, meaning you likely have another 20-odd kw in your fuel system, and you are probably being limited by the turbo, or something in your exhaust (do the new ones have a catted up-pipe?) or maybe, just maybe, the topmount intercooler.

If you're on 95 octane, that's a pretty good number, and the problem is the turbo, end of discussion.

Nah new ones don’t have a cat in the uppipe, tuned on 98, 200kw is what people see on a “stage 2” tune in America and at that point a fuel pump upgrade is recommended. When foot flat for a good 10 seconds on a high speed pull the motor cuts out so I think that could be the fuel pump possibly giving up?

16 hours ago, Percy said:

So plugs alone did not fix the problem, It is a bit better, but still sounds like a tractor and has no power.

Apparently its making boost, or so the gauge says, just not doing anything with it.

Can't find any leaks, or loose wires etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm hoping its not jumped the belt on a cam pulley or something stupid like that.

In other news, swapped the tyres round so the B4 now has the RE003's on it, and got it some new wheel nuts cos the chrome was flaking off the old ones.

Now I just need to clean the wheels and takes some unfilthy pics...

Whats the boost saying its getting up to?

Probably a long shot, but have you checked the wastegate to make sure its not stuck open or has become disconnected. 

I had my clip come off mine and would pop the arm off once it built up boost. 

But could be stuck partially open too.

Just some random guesses

• Admin
53 minutes ago, Conducks said:

Nah new ones don’t have a cat in the uppipe, tuned on 98, 200kw is what people see on a “stage 2” tune in America and at that point a fuel pump upgrade is recommended. When foot flat for a good 10 seconds on a high speed pull the motor cuts out so I think that could be the fuel pump possibly giving up?

Are you sure that's not rev cut or speed cut or some other cut? Because running out of fuelling won't result in a cut, you'll just hit 100% IDC. What you're getting is almost certainly a cut, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say boost cut.

This is all so retarded, because if the car was running out of fuelling the tuner should have been able to tell you this 100% concretely, no anecdotal "sometimes a thing happens".

By all means, put some ID1050X's in it and a decent fuel pump, but don't be disappointed when it makes 1kw more. Although I have this funny feeling that if the tuner is clever they will just dial-a-number and give you whatever makes you pay them more.

• Like 2

Are you sure that's not rev cut or speed cut or some other cut? Because running out of fuelling won't result in a cut, you'll just hit 100% IDC. What you're getting is almost certainly a cut, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say boost cut.

This is all so retarded, because if the car was running out of fuelling the tuner should have been able to tell you this 100% concretely, no anecdotal "sometimes a thing happens".

By all means, put some ID1050X's in it and a decent fuel pump, but don't be disappointed when it makes 1kw more. Although I have this funny feeling that if the tuner is clever they will just dial-a-number and give you whatever makes you pay them more.

Nah won’t be speed cut cause she cruises at 260 no sweat, it cuts at any RPM so don’t think it’ll be rev cut, and can’t be boost cut cause I watch my boost gauge and it stays at 1.25 bar from 3k through to 6,500 with no creep, no spikes etc. COBB’s boost solenoid does a great job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Whats the boost saying its getting up to?

Probably a long shot, but have you checked the wastegate to make sure its not stuck open or has become disconnected. 

I had my clip come off mine and would pop the arm off once it built up boost. 

But could be stuck partially open too.

Just some random guesses

Wastegate is fine, was a dead coil!B|

So its back to much chuu chuu!:D

Now to order some new ones, so it doesn't happen again.

• Like 3

Nah won’t be speed cut cause she cruises at 260 no sweat, it cuts at any RPM so don’t think it’ll be rev cut, and can’t be boost cut cause I watch my boost gauge and it stays at 1.25 bar from 3k through to 6,500 with no creep, no spikes etc. COBB’s boost solenoid does a great job.

Who is your tuner?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Well, yesterday. 

Victim of a hit and run. 

Gotta go in tomorrow to make formal statement, insurance quote etc etc.

Not happy. All you people at flatnats will get to see the mess in person, cas it's asthetics only, and I won't let one stroppy islander spoil my weekend.

2017-10-18_12-09-41

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Well, yesterday. 

Victim of a hit and run. 

Not happy. All you people at flatnats will get to see the mess in person, cas it's asthetics only, and I won't let one stroppy islander spoil my weekend.

2017-10-18_12-09-41

Oh heck. Gutting.

7 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Well, yesterday. 

Victim of a hit and run. 

2017-10-18_12-09-41

Don't worry. A bit of cut and polish and she'll buff out.

Good thing it's not too bad

7 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Well, yesterday. 

Victim of a hit and run. 

2017-10-18_12-09-41

Arrghh. Hit and runs piss me off.

Looks just like boot and bumper so not toooo serious...

Yeah there's nothing structural, bumper iron is fine, no ripples in the Tyre well, everything is straight, it's literally just the plastic and the outer skin of the boot lid. It still sucks though.

I hope the cops throw the book at the driver. His 3 kids in the car were in tears, begging him to shut up as he was shouting at me for "going to slow" in a 30kmh temporary speed zone. I was turning into the driveway of my scout hall, he full beamed me then punted me up the arse.

All my scouts heard and saw it too, so the rest of the evening was spent reassuring them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Yeah there's nothing structural, bumper iron is fine, no ripples in the Tyre well, everything is straight, it's literally just the plastic and the outer skin of the boot lid. It still sucks though.

I hope the cops throw the book at the driver. His 3 kids in the car were in tears, begging him to shut up as he was shouting at me for "going to slow" in a 30kmh temporary speed zone. I was turning into the driveway of my scout hall, he full beamed me then punted me up the arse.

All my scouts heard and saw it too, so the rest of the evening was spent reassuring them.

Good to hear you got him. What a dumbass..

8 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Well, yesterday. 

Victim of a hit and run. 

Been there... not fun.

21 hours ago, Conducks said:

The dyno results said 253kw on 11.6PSi and 265kw on 17.4PSi. So I must be choked by fuel?

12kw from a 5.8psi increase??

Sounds like you need a new turbo to get much more bra