Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Got a update from the dealer, axle broke at the cv so I’ve got a complete axle assembly on order, they also drained my rear diff and found “large chunks of metal in the oil” so they’re gonna pop it open and see how damaged it is, I’ll be buying a Cusco LSD if it’s buggered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Conducks said:

Got a update from the dealer, axle broke at the cv so I’ve got a complete axle assembly on order, they also drained my rear diff and found “large chunks of metal in the oil” so they’re gonna pop it open and see how damaged it is, I’ll be buying a Cusco LSD if it’s buggered.

Wow, looks like it happened quickly, how many km has your car made ?

When was your last rear diff fluid change ?

You might want to change the fluids more often if you drive the car hard, it's a common practice when you track your car and could help in your case as well.

(Cusco LSD is probably a good choice if you have to change the rear diff)

• Like 2

Wow, looks like it happened quickly, how many km has your car made ?
When was your last rear diff fluid change ?

You might want to change the fluids more often if you drive the car hard, it's a common practice when you track your car and could help in your case as well.
(Cusco LSD is probably a good choice if you have to change the rear diff)

Car’s done 37,000km since 2nd September 2016 when I took delivery, it’s held up pretty good imo.

10 minutes ago, Conducks said:

Car’s done 37,000km since 2nd September 2016 when I took delivery, it’s held up pretty good imo.

That's not that much imo, pretty sure you can get more out of it with good maintenance ;)

I am assuming that this is your first diff oil change then. I can't find the maintenance interval for the 2017 WRX STi but I can tell you that my dealer changed the rear diff oil at 30,0000km on my Toyota GT86 (=Subaru BRZ). In your case, changing the diff oil every 15,0000km is probably not a bad idea. And it will be cheaper than replacing parts in the long run. I assume you also have a front diff to maintain at about the same interval on the WRX.

Also, you should already have changed your engine oil at least 3 or 4 times now (just saying, it's what's best for your car)

13 minutes ago, delta said:

That's not that much imo, pretty sure you can get more out of it with good maintenance ;)

I am assuming that this is your first diff oil change then. I can't find the maintenance interval for the 2017 WRX STi but I can tell you that my dealer changed the rear diff oil at 30,0000km on my Toyota GT86 (=Subaru BRZ). In your case, changing the diff oil every 15,0000km is probably not a bad idea. And it will be cheaper than replacing parts in the long run. I assume you also have a front diff to maintain at about the same interval on the WRX.

Also, you should already have changed your engine oil at least 3 or 4 times now (just saying, it's what's best for your car)

Changing diff oil in a road car every 15000km is nonsensical. It's not smart to change oil heaps sooner than required it just short changes your pocket. Providing you use the correct oil, stick to the oem intervals there is nothing to be gained shortening the interval.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Changing diff oil in a road car every 15000km is nonsensical. It's not smart to change oil heaps sooner than required it just short changes your pocket. Providing you use the correct oil, stick to the oem intervals there is nothing to be gained shortening the interval.

On a road car, I agree.

On a car that is driven hard, the diff oil can get hot and deteriorate quicker (same for engine oil).

1. Why I don't strictly follow OEM intervals

According to the maintenance interval for my BP, I should never change the following fluids :

- Automatic Transmission Fluid

- Front and rear diff oil

- Steering fluid

And THAT is nonsensical according to me. To give just one example, we all know that the steering fluid tend to leak on BP's, changing the fluid before it leaks is a good and cheap preventative maintenance.

2. Why I recommend a short maintenance interval

Now, regarding @Conducks 's car, the maintenance interval is the following :

Zppck1V.png

(source: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2017.html)

You probably notice that the Differential Fluid has to be Inspected but never Replaced. But there is a note *3 that states "under severe driving replace every 15,000 miles or 15 months whichever comes first". Based on @1randomkiwi 's comment "All those launches and helis sure take their toll.", I think that we are talking about severe driving here.

Also, I personally think that the engineers that worked on the maintenance interval wrote this note for a good reason :)

3. Why I recommend a shorter interval than 15,000 miles (=24,000 km) for diff fluid

In racing it is very common to change fluids very frequently, like changing engine oil before/after each race for example. My experience have proven that a car can go a long way with good maintenance (your mileage may vary). I have a couple mates that track cars with 200,000+km and the cars run perfectly, I don't think they would be able to do that without very frequent maintenance like they do.

Considering @Conducks launches his car very frequently and his rear diff is already dying, changing the fluid every 15,000km doesn't seem overkill to me. Even though unrelated to maintenance, what @Kiwi_Fozze said is also to consider in my opinion.

4. End note

I might over-maintain my cars but I am personally convinced that maintenance intervals should be shortened when you drive the car hard.

That being said, you seem like a very knowledgeable person and I have the feeling that your opinion is not so different than mine.

Sorry for the long post, I tried to structure it to make it easier to read though.

• Like 6

Those guides are just that, a typical guide for dealers and normal drivers. Also inspect is a 'replace if needed'

They are minimum requirements! 

For people who don't like cars and think getting to the speed limit is something that takes time. Corners also tend to scare those people too.

I just change it all every year (old car was every track event too). Good thing I do as last owner didn't take care of much and car dealer signed service book without service. I've also see dealers miss things or not bother when busy.

few hundred extra a year will pay off over time if you want to keep the car more than a few years.

Edited by Gripless
Typing lesson wanted
  • Like 1

Yeah as of my 37,000km oil change I’ve taken over doing the services myself and probably gonna do them more often. I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer most likely next week but if my diff isn’t too shredded I’ll probably just run it and change the oil more often. Up until the week before it broke I was fairly easy on it but I got in the headspace of doing donuts and I probably did like 4+ a day for 4 consecutive day’s...

Probably a good thing my axle broke cause I could’ve broken my diff earlier and I’ve been driving all this time with shrapnel in my diff and would’ve caused more damage.

49 minutes ago, Johnnynz said:

I have changed my diff oil once in about 100,000km :/

Haha still better than 0 times I guess :P

I don't want to sound like a maintenance nazi either, what's important is to adjust the interval to your usage (and of course use good quality fluids).

• General Member
1 hour ago, delta said:

Haha still better than 0 times I guess :P

I don't want to sound like a maintenance nazi either, what's important is to adjust the interval to your usage (and of course use good quality fluids).

Its really weird when I think about it because everything else is serviced and changed probably too regularly. Its just something I have overlooked now I think about it. And if I remember right its a prick of a job.

45 minutes ago, Johnnynz said:

Its really weird when I think about it because everything else is serviced and changed probably too regularly. Its just something I have overlooked now I think about it. And if I remember right its a prick of a job.

Can't you do the tube up through the wheel arch trick and funnel it down that way. 

Last rear diff I did I used royal purple and they have squeeze bottles for gear oil. Easy as.

also used those cheap hand fuel pumps bulbs in the past, but gear oil smells so bad.

• Admin

I went down to Ajays. Started wondering what to do with the loom. Have a v8 sti engine loom, to go with my V9 STi Spec C heads, that I need to match my V5 STi Type RA body harness.

I obviously want to use the avcs, and I definitely want to use the coil on plug setup. From what I've read, better overall than wasted spark. However, I wanna keep the v5 sti manifold / idle control valve.

So, do I merge the two looms, aka primary loom to use is v5 sti, then split the avcs / ignition wiring plus anything else and merge into the v5 loom.

Or do I throw the v8 sti loom in, use Deutsch connector and lop off the factory connector and put those in its place and adapt v8 loom to the v5 manifold.

@gotasubi any idea?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

• Admin

Just noticed the fuel line to the reg is royally F***ed. Bit of a lucky catch I reckon. Can’t imagine it would have much left in it. 

Any opinions on a decent line to go for? This one’s a NZKW one that I got with the reg only 6 odd months ago.

39545903491_d06e2c8c45_b.jpg

• Like 1