Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

11 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Got a quote to ship the RA down to SAS. $1583.29 With a car that doesn't run. Yeah, that hurts a little.

Did you tell them you didn’t want to use the air freight option...

On 12/8/2018 at 3:17 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Fricken lots.... Have a chat to Tony if you want to get ballpark pricing for what you want from it.

Spoke to Tony,not as much as it cost me to put Motec in my single turbo Rs Legacy conversion in early 2000’s.I’ll get down to Tauranga sometime January to work out the details.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Haha I know right? 

I spoke to Brian Roberts towing and they've advised that it's $960+gst or something loike that. Which isn't bad for sure! 

I drove my Legacy which I purchased in Nelson back to Auckland rather then pay the exuberant haulage fee.

16 hours ago, Dairusire said:

So the RA is booked in to go to Christchurch, and pay a visit to @SAS for the engine build and @gotasuby to tune. 

Though, does anyone know of a good priced car transport company? Car doesn't exactly run soooo. 

Unsure what prices are but he seems to get a fair bit of good feedback on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/TwentyfourseVan/

On 12/7/2018 at 8:06 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Just a little bit of extra torque with the properly tunable new ECU...

32341084828_898a2519ae_b.jpg

Does the new ecu have knock control?

Any thought of pre turbo water meth to see what you can squeeze the td04 out to?

• Admin
56 minutes ago, pl0x said:

Does the new ecu have knock control?

Any thought of pre turbo water meth to see what you can squeeze the td04 out to?

Pass. Imagine so but not completely sure. @Tony would probably know. It's a plugin so should be seeing the stock one. No o2 setup currently though. 

I was considering grabbing @Niran’s AEM setup but he may be thinking about keeping it. Even with meth there probably isn't alot left in the turbo but I was definitely keen to see what difference it would make.

This one has a VF45 so not quite a TD04 but essentially the same size.

• Like 2

I was thinking a fairly simple pre turbo non pumped set up like what the green brothers seem to have a lot of success with - just pressurize the water meth tank with boost pressure. 

Niran's set up would do it though, and have the added benefit of higher pressure (in theory more atomisation & smaller/no droplets for the compressor)

But yea, imo you would want safety/knock control in place in case the WM fails.

11 hours ago, Dairusire said:

Haha I know right? 

I spoke to Brian Roberts towing and they've advised that it's $960+gst or something loike that. Which isn't bad for sure! 

Have you tried silcock transport? He's a rally car driver so good to deal with. 

• Admin
8 hours ago, Dre said:

Your Emtron ecu is knock sensor capable. @Andy_Mac E85/E70 is your friend for high compression knock limited engines.Sure,you can’t make the Vf45 flow more air but you can add more ignition timing and the compression charge will run cooler.

None of the good stuff down here. Hence considering meth. Would be cool to see how far it can be pushed but any sidesteps just makes the engine/real turbo setup further away.

@pl0x’s suggestion of a boost pressurised system is an interesting one. Have never come across that before, far fewer parts to potentially fail which is a big positive.

10 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

None of the good stuff down here. Hence considering meth. Would be cool to see how far it can be pushed but any sidesteps just makes the engine/real turbo setup further away.

@pl0x’s suggestion of a boost pressurised system is an interesting one. Have never come across that before, far fewer parts to potentially fail which is a big positive.

I looked at Aquamist water/methanol injection awhile ago pre e85 available in Auckland and availability of flex fuel.Liked the idea of Aquamist because of the built in failsafe features.Because of the way the engine is tuned for water/methanol injection,if it fails you may cause engine damage.My thoughts on water/methanol injection,not really suitable for a daily road car.Probably better to do the job properly and build a better engine with the appropriate sized turbo or at least up size your turbo.

Edited by Dre

11 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

I haven't found too much detail on exactly how it is controlled, gather what you can from here: http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/11/17/cool-combustion-water-meth-injection

22 minutes ago, Dre said:

I looked at Aquamist water/methanol injection awhile ago pre e85 available in Auckland and availability of flex fuel.Liked the idea of Aquamist because of the built in failsafe features.Because of the way the engine is tuned for water/methanol injection,if it fails you may cause engine damage.My thoughts on water/methanol injection,not really suitable for a daily road car.Probably better to do the job properly and build a better engine with the appropriate sized turbo or at least up size your turbo.

I agree I wouldn't be running WM daily, but have it on a switch for drives/events etc. switch could also turn on higher timing/boost and pull fuel.

I think for a road car water meth is better than e85. No issues with it sitting/having to flush or going off, no need to upgrade fuel system completely. But without a good fail-safe(s) or knock control, it can be engine gone if it fails.

I've got knock control plus a pressure sensor pre WM nozzle, which needs to be over a certain pressure to trigger the higher boost map and pull fuel. Also hooked up to a light if it isn't meeting the pressure.

• Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, Dre said:

The AEM setup is very similar with failsafes. All personal preference really, Aquamist seems to be rated slightly better by most. 

1 hour ago, pl0x said:

I haven't found too much detail on exactly how it is controlled, gather what you can from here: http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/11/17/cool-combustion-water-meth-injection

I agree I wouldn't be running WM daily, but have it on a switch for drives/events etc. switch could also turn on higher timing/boost and pull fuel.

I think for a road car water meth is better than e85. No issues with it sitting/having to flush or going off, no need to upgrade fuel system completely. But without a good fail-safe(s) or knock control, it can be engine gone if it fails.

I've got knock control plus a pressure sensor pre WM nozzle, which needs to be over a certain pressure to trigger the higher boost map and pull fuel. Also hooked up to a light if it isn't meeting the pressure.

Mines not a daily so having it essentially always on isn't a major. What's the life of e85 anyway? 

Don't think it's really worth my while at this point though. Better off putting that money towards building the new engine.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 0:56 PM, HannesNel said:

Right, two insurance houses have confirmed installing a keyless and remote start system won't void any insurance claims with them. One confirmed it will however not cover the unit itself and one confirmed it will cover the unit to a max value of $500.

Now I am just waiting on feedback from NZTA

So an update on this saga. NZTA has referred it to the LVVTA for approval. 

• Like 1