Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

1 hour ago, HannesNel said:

So an update on this saga. NZTA has referred it to the LVVTA for approval. 

Feedback just received from LVVTA:

As far as we can see they are legal to be fitted and do not require certification. I have asked around the office, gone through our standards and can find no mention of it, nor can I find any mention of it in the Wof VIRM which would suggest there are no current regulations about it.

A quick Google shows a company in Wellington that fits them. May be worth contacting them about it :Obsessive Vehicle Security

Although I can find no regulations, it unfortunately doesn’t mean there aren’t any hiding in an obscure place. At least there will need to  be some thought put into the installation/operation to avoid things like it starting in gear or with the bonnet open to a reduce the risk to people.

Hope this helps.

Regards

• Like 8

• Admin
5 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

Feedback just received from LVVTA:

As far as we can see they are legal to be fitted and do not require certification. I have asked around the office, gone through our standards and can find no mention of it, nor can I find any mention of it in the Wof VIRM which would suggest there are no current regulations about it.

A quick Google shows a company in Wellington that fits them. May be worth contacting them about it :Obsessive Vehicle Security

Although I can find no regulations, it unfortunately doesn’t mean there aren’t any hiding in an obscure place. At least there will need to  be some thought put into the installation/operation to avoid things like it starting in gear or with the bonnet open to a reduce the risk to people.

Hope this helps.

Regards

LVVTA are super helpful, good to see you got a quick response.

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, 1randomkiwi said:

LVVTA are super helpful, good to see you got a quick response.

LVVTA is a mess TBH. Maybe they've got better in the last couple of years, I don't know, but they're having a very hard time divorcing themselves from their roots (guys building janky kit cars in their shed) to the modern reality of modified vehicles, which is now predominantly people making japanese imports faster with bolt-on parts.

The ultimate representation of this is the driveshaft hoop rule and the way it was implemented/enforced. I was once told that if I reshelled a completely factory WRX driveline (engine + gearbox + driveshaft + diff) into a non-WRX shell it would need driveshaft hoops because I had increased the power of the car by too much. This was about the point I lost faith in the LVVTA to provide pragmatic representation of the car modifying community.

EDIT: This rule has subsequently changed, but it took YEARS.

• Like 1

• General Member

just thank the almightly spirit you're not trying to modify cars in Auzzy, then you'll have a bit more faith in the Cert system

they do case by case stuff & yeah only human too & do have to backtrack often or when stuff stuff up

1 hour ago, sleepr said:

Subscribed... Keen to fit it to my car as well as I don't just hop in and drive due to forged engine.

Think i have settled on this : https://www.carid.com/2006-subaru-legacy-alarms-remote-start/omega-universal-car-security-systems-965636147.html

Problem is its another $50 for the bypass unit and $50 for the programmer that I will use once...anyone else want to group order and get only one programmer?

Put replacement fender emblems on the WRX (gloss black with white text instead of all silver) and got someone to put on Whiteline sway bars (three way 22mm for the back and two way 26mm for the front) and matching HD adjustable end links. I could have put them on myself, but just cbf at the moment with end of year fatigue and a six-week-old doing her best to stop the household getting any sleep. Also got EGR and TGV delete kits a few days ago to install after Christmas, which means another visit to the tuner.

• Like 4

The new stead

cJ1bSAE.jpg

fwH2BKL.jpg

pEGNHmA.jpg

55pnszs.jpg

Will post interior photos later

2007 3.0 Outback

Push button start, some sort of nav/entertainment system I need to figure out or replace later.

Loving the smoothness of the engine, si drive as well. Also has reversing camera.

Will start a thread on it, but for the he next year she is going to stay stock.

Make way for the 'Silver Surfer/shadow'

• Like 7

Still have factory mags,same as yours.Brakes from the bl b4 swapped straight over.Big improvement in braking.No more warping front original discs.Replaced cheap tyres with Michelin ps4’s.Inspires more confidence with the daily cut and thrust of Auckland city driving.

I thought the BLE/BPE (3L) had the same rotor size and caliper as the BL5/BP5 (GT)?

My NZ new Outback 3.0 had (F)294 x 24,replaced with 316 x 30 (R) 274 x 10 solid replaced with 290 x 18 vented.

Edited by Dre

I thought the BLE/BPE (3L) had the same rotor size and caliper as the BL5/BP5 (GT)?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NZ spec cars have the poverty package.My NZ new 07 bl b4 2.0 has the 2.5 tacho.

Edited by Dre

Finished my lights BUT not 100% happy with it. It has some orange peel and I suspect it temps on the day wasnt hot enough, even after leaving the clear coat can in some hot water before spraying. I however also noted some hairline stress/sun cracks all over the sides of the headlights - So they have seen some serious sun in their days.

So instead of redoing them, I might just get a new set later the year.

All that yellow gunk and oxidation coming off  :thumleft:
8faa093d-5ac1-46c9-b500-b0b128e10958-ori

After - no more yellow and its clear

83df8298-4d0a-4940-8143-175348086999-ori

59ba9ce4-3903-4967-9f92-049e00938502-ori

Edited by HannesNel
  • Like 1