Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Replaced the OEM silver hood scoop with a new black carbon fibre one tonight. The installation hardware that came with it was S*** and caused a blood sacrifice, but some decent Bunnings leftovers sorted it out. Looking forward to seeing it in the daylight tomorrow.

MaEmvgR.jpg

Pb9fWuP.jpg

qtPk2Zv.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

Ok, next up is to get some rumble from my GT.

Can anyone recommend anyone in the Wellington area to get the cat box removed and fit a straight pipe?

Or would removing the interals of the cat be enough to get a nice rumble?

You won't get any rumble out of it no matter what you do (unless you're prepared to do some serious modifications).

Removing mid-section resonator is a bad idea.

Bashing out the cat converter is a better one, but won't gain you that much noise-wise. 

Upgrading to an aftermarket set-up will improve the situation but then again you will NOT get the old-school rumble you're aiming for ;)

• Like 1

Just now, sobanoodle said:

You won't get any rumble out of it no matter what you do (unless you're prepared to do some serious modifications).

Removing mid-section resonator is a bad idea.

Bashing out the cat converter is a better one, but won't gain you that much noise-wise. 

Upgrading to an aftermarket set-up will improve the situation but then again you will NOT get the old-school rumble you're aiming for ;)

Thanks Sobanoodle! When you talk aftermarkets, are you talking full system from the manifold or just new piping and tips from the cat box? 

I don't want serious rumble,boy racer, loud screaming everytime I slightly accelerate, just when I put my foot down. I am a dad after all and need to be semi-responsible :P

11 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

Thanks Sobanoodle! When you talk aftermarkets, are you talking full system from the manifold or just new piping and tips from the cat box? 

If you just want it to be a bit more vocal then a pair of aftermarket mufflers will satisfy your cravings. These are in most cases a simple bolt-on application, no chopping/welding/fiddling required.

Alterations to the factory set up in form of muffler/resonator deletes usually result in raspiness and drone at cruising speed which you really want to avoid if you're a

18 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

dad

and want to be 

semi-responsible

;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

If you just want it to be a bit more vocal then a pair of aftermarket mufflers will satisfy your cravings. These are in most cases a simple bolt-on application, no chopping/welding/fiddling required.

Alterations to the factory set up in form of muffler/resonator deletes usually result in raspiness and drone at cruising speed which you really want to avoid if you're a

and want to be 

;)

:D well put!

Ok thanks let me take a look at some mufflers. Any brands that is more suggested then others?

I still want to de-cat as well as I dont believe in cats...

Edited by HannesNel

2 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

Any brands that is more suggested then others?

I am a big fan of HKS and Fujitsubo but new bits are expensive or out of production already and used are fairly hard to come by.

Kakimoto are on a louder side due to smaller cannons.

STI Genomes... do not get me started 

@Andy_Mac got Invidia set-up on his, not sure if they do "mufflers only" option though. 

• Like 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

I am a big fan of HKS and Fujitsubo but new bits are expensive or out of production already and used are fairly hard to come by.

Kakimoto are on a louder side due to smaller cannons.

STI Genomes... do not get me started 

@Andy_Mac got Invidia set-up on his, not sure if they do "mufflers only" option though. 

Na they don’t. Their muffler flanges are in completely different locations too so don't mate up to any other midpipe.

TCP Auto in Aus do some nice quad tips, double walled too so you don't run the risk of melting your bumper as you can with the Invidia. They don't list them on their site and pretty sure they don't do one-offs, just group buys every now and again. Could be worth sending them a message though.

45676393905_24f01ea7c9_b.jpg

I'm a big fan of quad tips on these. A local exhaust shop can probably Jimmy something fairly nice up at a reasonable price and bypass the JDM tax.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Not a fan myself, but I typically hate most dual cannon’s, they just never look right to me.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/kakimoto-racing-regu-06-r-exhaust-muffler-ble-bl5-bl9.html

oh thanks andy! there goes my afternoon - Haven't come across this site until now xD

If the dual cannon's are subtle and dont stick out to much I quite like them: https://www.rhdjapan.com/hks-es-premium-muffler-bph-bp5-bp9-bpe.html

• Admin

Could also save yourself a bunch of money and do the hogzaust mod, or even just have the mufflers cut out and replaced with straight pipe and keep the stock tips.

If I ever went to duals i’d track down a set of Prova Fujitsubo ones, much more understated than other options out there. Think @sobanoodle had a set at one point.

8 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Could also save yourself a bunch of money and do the hogzaust mod, or even just have the mufflers cut out and replaced with straight pipe and keep the stock tips.

If I ever went to duals i’d track down a set of Prova Fujitsubo ones, much more understated than other options out there. Think @sobanoodle had a set at one point.

That was my original idea to cut and straight pipe it but i dont want it to be to loud....

• Admin

That was my original idea to cut and straight pipe it but i dont want it to be to loud....

some would say the hogzaust mod is a pretty good representation of how it’ll sound with muffler deletes, worth a try

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

some would say the hogzaust mod is a pretty good representation of how it’ll sound with muffler deletes, worth a try

Or just wait for delivery from TCP auto :D Thanks Andy! Tony responded super quick and he has a quad tip set !

Waiting on what delivery will cost before confirming

Edited by HannesNel
  • Like 2

• Admin
19 minutes ago, iludez said:
22 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Any side effects doing the hogzaust?

Not really besides it sounding rude on some cars. Sounds a lot better with UEL setups for sure. 

Virtually zero cost and very little time required so not an issue when you decide you hate it

• Admin
37 minutes ago, iludez said:
41 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Any side effects doing the hogzaust?

Sounded like total ass on my car lol. Reverted back to stock pretty quickly.
Might hit up @Subirex Automotive to see if he can make me an axle back setup. I was considering importing a set from overseas but it ends up being quite pricey.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

oh bollocks....shipping is quite hectic and then still import taxes. Does anyone have an idea what kind of import tax I will be looking at for roughly $900 value?

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/duty-and-gst/whats-my-duty-estimator/

You don't have to pay duties on motor vehicle parts, just GST and customs fees.

• Like 2