Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

• Auckland Member
1 hour ago, ilikethetuna said:

Can confirm. Have done hogzaust. Janky af but also hektik af. Do it to see if you like it then realise it sounds like S*** and go back to stock :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This has also been my theory with exhausts. I would always be wondering what it sounds like at its loudest, start with nothing and you can always add resonators/mufflers :D

• Like 1

First wash of the new year! I'm surprised how good the carbon hood scoop looks considering it was a US$200 gamble on Amazon with free courier shipping from Taiwan. It's hard to see from the photos, but the depth of the carbon fibre in the sunlight looks amazing.

7exSBNF.jpg 

K6qVEgS.jpg

• Like 8

Washed, rewashed, polished and waxed the car this weekend.

Also took off the AWD sticker on the back window as it was faded and dull.

Also removed the legacy badge as I have done with all my cars

265576c2-e770-4063-ac00-1e8f7b6c0a77-ori

Edited by HannesNel
  • Like 2

Gents, my exterior rubber seals and trims for doors,etc. are in bad condition. Are there generic rolls I can buy to replace all seals and trims?

When I redid my ford about 3 years ago one could buy these in rolls of 10-20meters. Any idea if this is available for 06 legacy's?

Edited by HannesNel
  • Like 1

"Competed" in round 2 of NZ superlap series this last weekend.

Practice on Friday started ok checking tune in first session. Second session on my first hot lap, grenaded 4th gear shifting 3-4 on the hairpin. Got a new box dropped off form auckland that afternoon, with the help of a couple of the guy ripped the old one out that afternoon and put the new one in in the morning.

Saturday: did a few sighting laps to test box is ok, was fine but had air line form BOV come off so no boost, did a 1:50 with a top speed of 172kph, instead of the normal high 190s. Second session was back to normal power and droppe dinto the 48s, but track conditions were pretty slippery. Ive done a 1:45.0 previously.

Sunday, first session didnt get a tidy lap in, dropped into the 47s but missed a few gearchanges. Second session was on a decent flying lap, then vented the block at around 160kph on the main straight after shiting into 5th.

RIP money after xmas.

4s2zwgky.k12.jpg
we31ze4r.uba.jpg
xbd2emfw.yt4.jpg

• Like 4

• Admin
On 07/01/2019 at 9:36 AM, HannesNel said:

Gents, my exterior rubber seals and trims for doors,etc. are in bad condition. Are there generic rolls I can buy to replace all seals and trims?

When I redid my ford about 3 years ago one could buy these in rolls of 10-20meters. Any idea if this is available for 06 legacy's?

I don't think so - most of the seals are single-piece moulded items with all sorts of odd shapes and sticky-out bits.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:36 AM, HannesNel said:

My only advice with this is go to Subaru, and get the genuine stuff.

Gotta thank Subaru for doing frame-less windows...

Asking out of clarification - 

What's the rules around running replacement LED bulbs in your stop/tail etcetera sockets? Basically all my external and interior bulbs are LED (not low/high beam and fog lights - they're all extra bright models though).

I know it's now illegal to run HID/LED in sockets meant for halogen originally.

Friend of mine said that LEDs now have to SAE approved?

Just asking for clarification on my end, as I don't really want to have to do away with a few hundred dollars worth of LEDs :(, and the cool factor of them :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Individualities said:

Asking out of clarification - 

What's the rules around running replacement LED bulbs in your stop/tail etcetera sockets? 

Have a read for yourself.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/rearward-facing-position-lamps

That is for tail lamps, I can’t see any reason for rejection. The criteria they would need to meet to justify a failure.

a) not substantially red, or

b) not diffuse, or

c) not projected to the rear, or

d) not approximately equal in colour or intensity from that of the other lamp in a pair, or

e) not steady, or

f) not bright enough to be visible from 200m in normal darkness, eg due to modification, deterioration, dirt or an incorrect light source, or

g) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.

The only difficult one is g) but that is unbelievably vague. I doubt you would have any issues with LED tail light bulbs.

Here is the law on stop lamps

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/stop-lamps

Have a read through this too but it says much of the same and doesn’t specify LED bulbs as an issue.

Remember the complete VIRM is freely accessible for everyone so if your ever unsure on something or feel an inspector has failed without reason then it is good to have a read through it.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IZichard said:

Have a read for yourself.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/rearward-facing-position-lamps

That is for tail lamps, I can’t see any reason for rejection. The criteria they would need to meet to justify a failure.

a) not substantially red, or

b) not diffuse, or

c) not projected to the rear, or

d) not approximately equal in colour or intensity from that of the other lamp in a pair, or

e) not steady, or

f) not bright enough to be visible from 200m in normal darkness, eg due to modification, deterioration, dirt or an incorrect light source, or

g) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.

The only difficult one is g) but that is unbelievably vague. I doubt you would have any issues with LED tail light bulbs.

Here is the law on stop lamps

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/stop-lamps

Have a read through this too but it says much of the same and doesn’t specify LED bulbs as an issue.

Remember the complete VIRM is freely accessible for everyone so if your ever unsure on something or feel an inspector has failed without reason then it is good to have a read through it.

Hope that helps

That is incredibly vague. The LEDs I have bought are designed to diffuse light in a similar, or even better manner compared to a incandescent.

Asked my old boss, from when I was mechanic. Turns out that retrofitted LEDs aren't allowed at all anymore. All I could find myself about them is that retrofitted LEDs don't meet the "performance" of manufacturer specified bulbs (incandescent). I think it's BS personally, as all the LEDs I have bought are either Osram or Philips branded, which diffuse light better than incandescent bulbs. Plus they're all like $50 a pair, and I have 6 pairs in my car.

So for a WoF, I'll need to swap them all back to incandescent - get the WoF, and put all the LEDs back in. My old boss prefers them as they respond faster, and don't appear to have a warm up time (to the naked eye).

Gonna tag @1randomkiwi here, as I know he's nuts on his LEDs too.

Edit: interior retrofitted LEDs are OK. It's just the exterior ones.

Edited by Individualities

F***!

bad melting burning smell from engine.

turns out the AC pump clutch has shat itself. Most likely from the relay having faults as no the whole fan control unit in the dash is dead. On relay won't come out so guess it time to pull the fuse box apart :(

lucky I had a box cutter in the car from the IC pipe fitting and just cut the belt off the dead clutch pulley. 

Car goes better than ever revs better idles so smooth.

Just really really hot with no AC

Do not really understand what you really gain by swapping standard bulbs with LED in case of brake lights.

Brighter overall (especially in daylight) - questionable.

Improve/modernise appearance - how? Still a single source of light in the same housing.

I totally get it when people want to LED their parking lights as those look massively outdated with incandescent bulbs.

----------------------------------------------

Finally switched to non-runflat tyres. What a change, transformed the car significantly!

245/35/20 at the front and 275/30/20 at the rear. Did not realise how massive 275/30 look when off a rim...

Would highly recommend Tyretech on Archers road for those in Auckland. Very competitive prices and good service. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Individualities said:

That is incredibly vague. The LEDs I have bought are designed to diffuse light in a similar, or even better manner compared to a incandescent.

Asked my old boss, from when I was mechanic. Turns out that retrofitted LEDs aren't allowed at all anymore.

Despite that, ultimately it's at the inspectors discretion... The practical concern I see is a flooded market of cheaper LED's that don't have a discernible brightness difference between tail light and brake light functions. Whilst OSRAM and Philips are quality brands and make these claims, it's all how the bulb performs in the lamp itself in the real word day and night

Save yourself the hassle, if the bulbs are safe take it for an inspection an see if they fail before doing all that work

17 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Do not really understand what you really gain by swapping standard bulbs with LED in case of brake lights.

----------------------------------------------

Finally switched to non-runflat tyres. What a change, transformed the car significantly!

One argument is no 'warm-up' time compared to traditional filament bulbs where LED are instant on. We're talking miliseconds here but...

Re runflats; That's gotta be one of the best mods you'll make for handling and road noise! What tyres have you gone with as replacement?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nachoooo said:

Re runflats; That's gotta be one of the best mods you'll make for handling and road noise! What tyres have you gone with as replacement?

Pretty much yep, bloody hated the runflats.

Went from Dunlop GT to Dunlop 050+. Didn't want to donate a kidney for a set of Michelins and decided not to go with RE003.