Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

No longer the owner of a Subaru...

Gonna miss the S401. Got lots of fond memories of it with Mum doing random little road trips over the last 3 years of her life. I got the car pretty much just before she got sick.

Now, I've got a car better suited for long trips and all that, and luckily a lovely young woman (better than the last one I "dated") to explore with.

Think I'll probably sign off from here for now. I'll check back every now and again, and provide advice if needed.

Kia Ora fellas!

Enjoy the drive!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

• Admin
10 hours ago, Individualities said:

No longer the owner of a Subaru...

Gonna miss the S401. Got lots of fond memories of it with Mum doing random little road trips over the last 3 years of her life. I got the car pretty much just before she got sick.

Now, I've got a car better suited for long trips and all that, and luckily a lovely young woman (better than the last one I "dated") to explore with.

Think I'll probably sign off from here for now. I'll check back every now and again, and provide advice if needed.

Kia Ora fellas!

Enjoy the drive!

Feel free to throw up a garage thread for the Mazda. Not kicking you out just cause you sold the best Legacy ever made 😜

• Like 4

Hmmm feel like I made good friends with this owner of silver sedan wrx sti (lpj7xx)on commute to work today . Nice bright fluro yellow brembos. Nice little leaving gaps then doing random pulls to 50ish hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Changed the oil and filter on the Legacy today first time I done it on the BR9 gen 5 myself normally gets taken to crowes as I don’t have time but managed to fit it in and got a good look at the new Low mount turbo setup they used for the Gen 5 legacy’s. I have had twin turbo legacy before and ej20 turbo forester so used to the turbo and intercooler setup on a normal Subaru but this was different

Turbo sits in front of the engine right at the bottom by the exhaust headers which come out and join under the oil pan. They then pass through hot section and straight to the exhaust.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how clean it all was under the car!

8b2ee194a35b10539942187d10d691e7.jpg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Clean sheeted the Type RA. She is now road legal for the first time in just over two years :D

Also bought rego. Because that’s needed and yeah lol

wow that's awesome man, big step :D congrats!

not quite today but:

Tuesday - dropped off car, collected loan vehicle.

today, drove said loan vehicle to and from work. 2009 mitzi outlander. its not that bad, but not something i'd go and buy, that's for sure.

next Friday I either pick up my car completed, or I get grumpy.

on another note, finally back at work, half way through my second week back, concussions suck. 

Daytona fairings are on their way, bike tank has been changed, bikes all fixed short of wrapping it up in plastics. 

leathers have been cleaned and inspected, they have a couple of scuffs but are still good. alpinestars makes some good kit!

its good to have progress on the car, its been an 18 month saga, hopefully drawing to a close next friday

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I figured out the weird single wire switching door locks on my Wagon and wired in a door lock/unlock remote and also some funky immobilisation that I won’t be specific about.

I also received a Fenix alloy “race” radiator. The stock one still holds pressure and maintains temp but it looks old and tired. I had a premonition that it was going to explode on the way up the ski field this season and leave me stranded. I doubt the Fenix will perform any better as the car never got hot before but it will be nice to not have 19 year old plastic radiator in there.

qEJhxM3.jpg

• Like 8

I figured out the weird single wire switching door locks on my Wagon and wired in a door lock/unlock remote and also some funky immobilisation that I won’t be specific about.

I also received a Fenix alloy “race” radiator. The stock one still holds pressure and maintains temp but it looks old and tired. I had a premonition that it was going to explode on the way up the ski field this season and leave me stranded. I doubt the Fenix will perform any better as the car never got hot before but it will be nice to not have 19 year old plastic radiator in there.

qEJhxM3.jpg

God damn. Looks nice. I want one

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Took car for WOF. Failed for the first time ever in the legacy. Failed for LED fog light bulbs, LED park lights and I removed the rear lower bumper reflectors and replaced them with rear light for brake and rear driving light.

Guy was pretty good and said LED changed in Jan this year so that’s why hasn’t been a problem before and said the rear light set up I had is actually better in his opinion than just a reflector but the law is the law and they under so much pressure they can’t pass stuff like they used too.

Said what I do after I leave is my choice of course

• Like 3

I think it may be time to tell the community. Be aware however that insurance hasn't told me anything so I'm not going to speculate on anything. However, this happened yesterday.

It's a weird relationship that people like us have with cars and some of us see them as tools, others as family members. My car was the latter. She was the only thing that made me happy no matter what and while she was relatively stock and the most reliable car I've ever had she was fun. Hopefully I will get another one day.

No one was seriously hurt, and it was not my fault. But hey, these things do happen.

Goodbye Legacy.

1c740164c53d485e0cf186e7aa60f2ab.jpgdd52dc045e80bf7b920cc8d03593d0e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

I think it may be time to tell the community. Be aware however that insurance hasn't told me anything so I'm not going to speculate on anything. However, this happened yesterday.

It's a weird relationship that people like us have with cars and some of us see them as tools, others as family members. My car was the latter. She was the only thing that made me happy no matter what and while she was relatively stock and the most reliable car I've ever had she was fun. Hopefully I will get another one day.

No one was seriously hurt, and it was not my fault. But hey, these things do happen.

Goodbye Legacy.

1c740164c53d485e0cf186e7aa60f2ab.jpgdd52dc045e80bf7b920cc8d03593d0e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Holy heck man glad you and no one else was injured! Can you go into details on what happened? I assume car crossed the centre line and hit you by the looks of it

1 hour ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Guy was pretty good and said LED changed in Jan this year so that’s why hasn’t been a problem before and said the rear light set up I had is actually better in his opinion than just a reflector but the law is the law and they under so much pressure they can’t pass stuff like they used too.

Said what I do after I leave is my choice of course emoji23.png

I know LED retrofit bulbs in places like headlights and that where the socket/projector/reflector is designed for a Halogen/HID bulb are illegal.

But I couldn't find anything regarding to park lights and that in the VIRMs myself. Still won't stop me from putting LEDs in pretty much any socket I can :P 

• Like 2

• Admin

Thankfully weren't driving my car when we got rear ended up in Auckland tonight...

As usual the motorway traffic came to a dead stop for no apparent reason and the car behind the one behind us caned into both of us at a hefty pace.

Both drivers barely spoke English and didn’t have a clue what to do so had to spend half an hour trying to get details and then tearing bumpers and guard liners off both their cars and cleaning up the crap everywhere as they both just stood there dumbly...

Ohh and shock horror, the driver that caused it didn't have insurance 😒

• Sad 5

• Admin
Thankfully weren't driving my car when we got rear ended up in Auckland tonight...

As usual the motorway traffic came to a dead stop for no apparent reason and the car behind the one behind us caned into both of us at a hefty pace.
Both drivers barely spoke English and didn’t have a clue what to do so had to spend half an hour trying to get details and then tearing bumpers and guard liners off both their cars and cleaning up the crap everywhere as they both just stood there dumbly...

Ohh and shock horror, the driver that caused it didn't have insurance 

Did you get a police report?

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Did you get a police report?

Nahh, they weren't interested in attending as no one was injured.

Insurance didn't seem fussed either and just said they're happy to chase them for costs involved

• Admin
On 20/05/2019 at 6:52 PM, McMatty said:

Goodbye Legacy.

Damn dude! Super glad you and others are okay. Hope insurance sorts you out.

Let us know if we can help with anything.

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Ohh and shock horror, the driver that caused it didn't have insurance 😒

Oh geez, hope you are okay. Rear end impacts hurt.
Let us know if you need anything.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Yea we're fine and back on the road south. Ours was by far the best off. 

Lovely end to a trip to Sydney...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

holy s*** thats aweful bro, glad you're safe. sorry about your ride :(

9 hours ago, Niran said:

Sorry to see and hear what happened @McMatty . Glad everyone is ok man. Hoping insurance sorts you out bro

6 hours ago, Joker said:

frig

3 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Damn dude! Super glad you and others are okay. Hope insurance sorts you out.

Let us know if we can help with anything.

Right. I can go into details now. In short, im not covered for this as i wasn't the one driving and being under 25 anyone else under the age of 25 isn't covered. It hurts but i understand where the insurance company is coming from. At current im $510 down for glasses that went flying and tomorrow i have to get the car out of the tow yard which will set me back another $1378.

The girl who was driving has agreed to pay for the car and all the damages but has told me that i wont get the money for months or she will have to pay me weekly. Her next offer which im yet to take is to take her car ( A manual, turbo MR2) as payment for my car and im trying to get her to pay for the towing as well, which again will be a weekly instalment thing so im not impressed as im the one out of pocket. but we are lucky that i managed to get out relatively unharmed and her with a small cut on the shoulder and a concussion.

As to what happened in order to cause the damage, she wasnt paying attention and as we came around the bend she noticed we were going into the other lane and yanked the steering wheel to the left and smacked the brakes. All 4 wheels locked up and we understeered into a bank which sent the car airborne and we rolled a few times. Im surprised that neither the ABS or the airbags worked. 

As for those wanting to help, just do me the favour of checking your insurance is up to date and allows other drivers, and keep yourselves safe. This has been a very eye opening experience for me and i dont want more people getting into this sort of trouble like i did.

Oh, and if anyone sees a facelift, manual twin turbo legacy for sale thats relatively cheap, let me know. it would be such a waste of my ST kit if i bought something else. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, McMatty said:

Right. I can go into details now. In short, im not covered for this as i wasn't the one driving and being under 25 anyone else under the age of 25 isn't covered. It hurts but i understand where the insurance company is coming from. At current im $510 down for glasses that went flying and tomorrow i have to get the car out of the tow yard which will set me back another $1378.

The girl who was driving has agreed to pay for the car and all the damages but has told me that i wont get the money for months or she will have to pay me weekly. Her next offer which im yet to take is to take her car ( A manual, turbo MR2) as payment for my car and im trying to get her to pay for the towing as well, which again will be a weekly instalment thing so im not impressed as im the one out of pocket. but we are lucky that i managed to get out relatively unharmed and her with a small cut on the shoulder and a concussion.

As to what happened in order to cause the damage, she wasnt paying attention and as we came around the bend she noticed we were going into the other lane and yanked the steering wheel to the left and smacked the brakes. All 4 wheels locked up and we understeered into a bank which sent the car airborne and we rolled a few times. Im surprised that neither the ABS or the airbags worked. 

As for those wanting to help, just do me the favour of checking your insurance is up to date and allows other drivers, and keep yourselves safe. This has been a very eye opening experience for me and i dont want more people getting into this sort of trouble like i did.

Oh, and if anyone sees a facelift, manual twin turbo legacy for sale thats relatively cheap, let me know. it would be such a waste of my ST kit if i bought something else. 

thats hectic as again glad you're safe, that you're still in love with lookin for same kinda car and that you can be so positive about it sharing your experiences / learnings! the under 25 one is a massive one along with restricted license drivers or 'inexperienced' drivers who haven't had their full for atleast 2 years, meaning either they're not covered or if covered, have to pay something crazy like $2k in excess usually.

i'm a little surprised she had that reaction considering she's an mr2 driver, usually that car teaches people way more caution through harsh punishments

• Like 2