Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Omsin said:

Yes but not to the same extent, I did rectangle cut outs spaced along where I could reach, I did do a solid square directly behind the speakers and around the back for the speaker mounting points 

You do what you can eh, I've left my arms looking like a teenager with some serious emotional issues after sound deadening a couple of doors. Amazing how much stuff back there is slicey as a slicey thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gave the legacy a big service today as I have no idea when stuff other than oil and the cam belt were last done as I am first Nz owner.

-spark plugs changed and they were actually in good condition
-brake fluid flush
-rear diff oil changed, fluid was still a decent colour
-transmission drained and filled! Fluid was a little brownish but still it bad. Will do a drive tomorrow and then drain and new fluid again.
-coolant drained and will fill tomorrow.

Waiting on a Torx T70 bit to arrive so I can drain the front diff as well.

Overall pretty happy that it looks like someone has looked after the car in Japan.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, iludez said:

Well so far one upsell has been put forward lol. Apparently my fuel filter is dirty, now what I caught them.out on was that he said it could be changed and he hasn't pulled the pump yet.....

Fuel filters were like a pre 2000 thing weren’t they? Every car I’ve owned in the last decade has been 2005 or newer and the fuel filters haven’t been replaceable (so I’ve been told).

Usually as long as you don’t run the fuel down to the reserves the filter shouldn’t suck up too much crap

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Omsin said:

Fuel filters were like a pre 2000 thing weren’t they? Every car I’ve owned in the last decade has been 2005 or newer and the fuel filters haven’t been replaceable (so I’ve been told).

Usually as long as you don’t run the fuel down to the reserves the filter shouldn’t suck up too much crap

There is a filter in the cradle but you need to buy the top half of the cradle and not just the filter so isn't really a very common thing to do. Even the strainer on the bottom of the pump isn't something that is done very often.

Took the rear tray off to get to the bottom of the seriously annoying rattles, I’ll upload a video later on. Awesome cost saving measures - more bare metal!

EE64-C616-DDC3-4002-BA57-103-F4574-FE87.

After getting foil cuts on most of my fingers (roller hasn’t arrived yet) this is the finished product:

DA53-F6-A9-A0-A5-4237-AD95-03-A0-A561-FA

Added adhesive foam where plastic was obviously touching metal and sound deadening on key metal points to stop vibration.

Being me tho I decided it wasn’t good enough and went a bit further...

85-C7-DCB8-1-A3-E-40-FC-886-C-C10-EC6366

86357176-8-B84-4374-974-F-8-A2147-CC4121

The plastic bash clips don’t actually sit tightly in most of the trim pieces and the plugs which clip in on the tray rattle like f$ck so I hot glued them all in place and added a bit of sound deadening to the pillar trims to help absorb excess vibration.

Tray now sits nice and tight, doesn’t wobble, doesn’t creak or rattle... well done Subaru, you’ve shown just how lazy you are when it comes to finishing off cars 

Edited by Omsin
  • Like 2

Car has to go back into the dealers as airbag light keeps coming on. I took it back the same day after the recall work and they admitted there was high resistance in one of the connections but the airbag light was simply a coincidence. It's for the front crash airbag sensor. They reset it and sent me on my way.

I said how unlikely it was that it just happens to come on after their work. If they try charge me for the parts then it's going to be a tough day at the office for them. I'm not going to front up costs for a mistake they made. Pretty clear what ever they did wrong shorted something out or the high resistance caused the issue.

Plus there was greasey finger marks on both A pillars. Unclipped gear shifter, no idea why they needed to touch that? Dirt on the headrests from where they were working on the fuel pump. Seats were left in the reclined position. Car was also in sports mode. It's never in sports mode so was a bit confused by that.

They are not a Subaru dealer so I suspect they just are the only place here who can do the work. Wish I had of travelled to Nelson to do it to be honest

• Confused 1

Some faults cause the car to go into sport mode - happened when I had CEL due to a fault with a secondary air pump on my 07 STI. That or they went for a joy ride, I’ve seen some interesting stuff on my dash cam from workshop techs going for a “test drive”.

high resistance could be signs of a bad connection, corrosion, loose plug. Shorts are usually very low resistance / blown unit

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iludez said:

Car has to go back into the dealers as airbag light keeps coming on. I took it back the same day after the recall work and they admitted there was high resistance in one of the connections but the airbag light was simply a coincidence. It's for the front crash airbag sensor. They reset it and sent me on my way.

I said how unlikely it was that it just happens to come on after their work. If they try charge me for the parts then it's going to be a tough day at the office for them. I'm not going to front up costs for a mistake they made. Pretty clear what ever they did wrong shorted something out or the high resistance caused the issue.

Plus there was greasey finger marks on both A pillars. Unclipped gear shifter, no idea why they needed to touch that? Dirt on the headrests from where they were working on the fuel pump. Seats were left in the reclined position. Car was also in sports mode. It's never in sports mode so was a bit confused by that.

They are not a Subaru dealer so I suspect they just are the only place here who can do the work. Wish I had of travelled to Nelson to do it to be honest

Did you get the airbag recall work done? or fuel pump wiring harness? 

The airbag recall is a dash out job. The shifter will be unclipped because they have to remove the center console in order to remove the dash

I got mine done at Winger Subaru and it was a breeze. Got a loan car for the day (ugly ass Forrester) - to top it off they even put my radio presets back in for me 

The airbag recall is a dash out job. The shifter will be unclipped because they have to remove the center console in order to remove the dash

I got mine done at Winger Subaru and it was a breeze. Got a loan car for the day (ugly ass Forrester) - to top it off they even put my radio presets back in for me 
Was in for passenger air bag, fuel pump harness and secondary air pump fuse.

Hah good point on the shifter the guy said they didn't need to touch the shifter and wouldn't have.....

This has been a muck around like heck

• Admin
1 hour ago, ADIKT said:

Geez that's a good deal, I don't even bother putting my own presets back in after disconnecting the battery half the time 😂

• Like 1

This doesn't exactly count for today, but tomorrow I'm taking apart my interior again for more sound deadening.

I've got another 6mx45cm roll of what is essentially thicker dynamat. Any recommendations on where I should focus on most / what areas I shouldn't waste my time with? 

I'm thinking of doing the boot / rear wheel wells (exhaust isn't loud so I don't care about that noise) and seeing how close I can get to the front wheel wells to eliminate as much road noise as possible. After doing the doors the noise has definitely been amplified / drawn my attention to how much noise there is coming through from under the car.

I'm assuming it would be pointless to do under the rear passenger seats as they are quite dense / full of foam anyway.

To offset the weight of the sound deadening I'm ditching my spare tyre :P (its useless anyway because my cars lowered)

Edited by Omsin

• Admin
14 minutes ago, IZichard said:

Picked up a dashcam for the Wagon. Went with the Blackview DR590w. 

I'm pretty happy with the quality of everything, I haven't looked at any of the footage yet. I'll probably hide the wiring under the dash this weekend.

Nice, 1 or 2 channel?

What option did you go with for power? One of the battery packs or the power magic switch module?

The option to view low quality vids in the app is bloody handy to keep transfer time down when just wanting a quick gander. Loving my one so far.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Nice, 1 or 2 channel?

What option did you go with for power? One of the battery packs or the power magic switch module?

The option to view low quality vids in the app is bloody handy to keep transfer time down when just wanting a quick gander. Loving my one so far.

Just the one channel, I thought the rear camera would annoy me in the rearview. The front one I can hide behind the mirror.

Just coming on with ignition at this stage but i'm thinking of a battery pack in the future. I live in a pretty safe area and park right outside work during the day so there isn't much risk of something happening while i'm not around.

Yeah I went for the wifi over a cam with a crappy little screen as it seemed like it would be much easier to use.

• Admin
57 minutes ago, IZichard said:

Just the one channel, I thought the rear camera would annoy me in the rearview. The front one I can hide behind the mirror.

Just coming on with ignition at this stage but i'm thinking of a battery pack in the future. I live in a pretty safe area and park right outside work during the day so there isn't much risk of something happening while i'm not around.

Yeah I went for the wifi over a cam with a crappy little screen as it seemed like it would be much easier to use.

I thought the same but I got used to it right away. 

Battery packs are a good way but driving enough to charge it afterwards is the hard part. Power magic pro just turns it off based on time or voltage after the ignition is turned off which is what works best for me. 

50 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Battery packs are a good way but driving enough to charge it afterwards is the hard part. Power magic pro just turns it off based on time or voltage after the ignition is turned off which is what works best for me. 

Yeah after reading a little more about it that does sound like a better solution. I'll probably pick one up in the future, cheers for the recommendation.

• Like 1

I bought a 2008 Legacy GT wagon in manual a couple of days ago. Its an import and I purchased it in Dunedin. It has 52500kms and drove quite well. I polished it today and got a true idea of exactly what i bought. Its got a strong motor and box, the only thing that ive noticed is missing is the steel plate with the engine/transmission/paint codes. Hope I haven't bought a chop shop car lol. 

Edited by Boltonator
Double post for some reason
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Boltonator said:

I bought a 2008 Legacy GT wagon in manual a couple of days ago. Its an import and I purchased it in Dunedin. It has 52500kms and drove quite well. I polished it today and got a true idea of exactly what i bought. Its got a strong motor and box, the only thing that ive noticed is missing is the steel plate with the engine/transmission/paint codes. Hope I haven't bought a chop shop car lol. 

Don’t worry, won’t be an issue until you go for a wof and when that’s due - TRACK CAR TIME

New legacys have the plate in the passenger side door jam. Threw me off aswell when i first got my legacy
  • Like 2