Please check your junk folder for registration emails Γ—
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Played with the ride height this afternoon. Was 330mm FR 335mm FL and 330mm in the rear (centre of wheel to fender)Β Raised the car up about 20mm in the front and 10mm in the rear so it’s now 350mm front and 340mm rear.

Β 

Alignment needs rechecking but even as it is it handles a lot better. After reading overseas forums the sweet spot for good roll centre geometry is 350-355mm front and approx 342mm rear. After looking at the arms with the wheels off you can visualise how the wheels were tucked up too far in the wheel well and promotes excessive roll (sort of like standing up with your feet to close together, raising the car pushes the arms down enough to keep the arms at their furtherest point on their pivot).

Edited by Omsin

Booked my BP5 Legacy in at the doctors tomorrow to get the passenger window door lock actuator replaced. The dealer I bought my car is footing the bill and supplied me with a small electric motor. I'll laugh if he has supplied me the wrong part. I pity the fool who gets on the wrong side of my local SubLab, they're pretty hard case people.Β 

Β 

The benefit of living on the West Coast (South Island) is that a lot of insurance companies and dealers don't have service networks set up here so I always get to choose my repairer and always point them to my local SubLab.Β 

• Like 3

• Admin

If anyone is yet to try one, highly recommend going on a Gumboot Rally. I've been on at least 5 and enjoyed every single one.
Two days of a selection of NZ's best driving roads, with optional gravel sections, and some of the best people you'll ever meet.

If you're interested: www.gumbootrally.com

IMG-9322.jpg

IMG-8883.jpg

• Like 5

Β 
Β 
Β 
Β 
11 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

If anyone is yet to try one, highly recommend going on a Gumboot Rally. I've been on at least 5 and enjoyed every single one.
Two days of a selection of NZ's best driving roads, with optional gravel sections, and some of the best people you'll ever meet.

If you're interested: www.gumbootrally.com

Β 

Man, I still need to get on another one of these! What root did this one take you on?Β 

Ohh! Just checked the website, looks like it was Auckland to Paihia and back like the year we did it 😎  

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, A_J_T said:

Man, I still need to get on another one of these! What root did this one take you on?Β 

Ohh! Just checked the website, looks like it was Auckland to Paihia and back like the year we did it 😎  

Β 

Yeah Auckland-Paihia-Auckland again. Some different roads, some the same.

Went up the East coast and back down the West through Dargaville.

• Like 1

Bought some bloody expensive shiny bits. Bodged em together, shoved em into the car. That required the bumper to come off, and the intercooler to come out. And the aircon condenser to be unbolted.Β 

Β 

Bolted it all in, poked some hoses around the place, pressure tested it, and whallah, 10 row oil cooler installed and pressure tested. Just as I was starting to put the car back together the heavens opened and in the urgent pack up I got drenched.Β 

Β 

Need to get some heat shielding between the headers and the lines, as the Kevlar shielding I bought with the lines won't quite cut the mustard. Deleted front o2 sensor too, as the link doesn't talk to it. Tune on Friday.Β 

• Like 4

On 8/09/2019 at 10:14 PM, 1randomkiwi said:

Drove it 800km on a mixture of gravel and tarmac on some of Northland's best roads

Β 

Aah hah haaah! Gumboot Rally?

As you were headed down the hill towards Tutukaka, i was heading back towards Ngunguru / WhangareiΒ πŸ‘Œ

So Jelly, looked like a load of fun!

Β 

[EDIT: Saw your first post and replaied.... Should have read futher 🀣]

Edited by whitebait19
  • Like 1

• Admin

Β 

Attempt number three to seal the fuel cradleΒ has now failed.

The gromet isΒ sealing perfectly but there is now a very slight weep coming through the wiring underneath the insulation. NotΒ sure if there is any way to actually seal a multicore cableΒ other than maybe soldering where the insulation starts to try seal the centre wires to each other and then have a smooth surface for the heat shrink to bind to.Β 

Using the resin filled raychem heat shrink but assume it isn't rated for fuel.

Β 

Think getting another stock cradle top and a surge tank is the smart/mentally soothing way to go from here.

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Β 

Attempt number three to seal the fuel cradleΒ has now failed.

The gromet isΒ sealing perfectly but there is now a very slight weep coming through the wiring underneath the insulation. NotΒ sure if there is any way to actually seal a multicore cableΒ other than maybe soldering where the insulation starts to try seal the centre wires to each other and then have a smooth surface for the heat shrink to bind to.Β 

Using the resin filled raychem heat shrink but assume it isn't rated for fuel.

Β 

Think getting another stock cradle top and a surge tank is the smart/mentally soothing way to go from here.

RTV sealant? Get the goo in between each wireΒ