Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

• Subscribed Member

Lost the windshield washer cover on the STI a wee while ago, found a part number online for a replacement, but wasn't sure whether it'd come unpainted, or painted. Received it today, and thankfully it's painted, and even the correct colour!

The car goes in for paint in a few weeks, a brand new front bumper going on, a few scratches/dents repaired, and some paint fade being sorted.

WqCaMKJ.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Well, the engine is back in my Type RA. Sort of. 

All in all, that turbo looks reaaaal at home. excuse the mess that is the engine bay. Should maybe have it running next weekend. We'll see how motivated I am haha. 

sQkhGVn.jpg

It'll need to come out again as the darn clutch didn't line up properly, and when I went to pull the engine back out to fix it, the hoist decided today was the day it blew it's seals. 

igDSCMU.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

• Admin

Saturday, Well, engine came back out! Fixed the misaligned clutch.

Put the oil drain on, with heat shielding.
Deleted the GDB clutch bleed setup in favour of single braided line. Got that around the wrong way. Fixed that.

Engine in, wastegates off to check spring pressures. Now both have 7psi springs. Flumbled around trying to figure out how to get it all to fit in there.

Turns out, turbo on first, then engine in, then downpipe, then wastegate dump pipe on wastegate, then wastegates in place.

She's a little tooooight

Also fiddled with fuel lines. Plumbed the -8 AN lines to the stock body for the time being.

Then today! Get under the car to install exhaust manifold on engine. Promptly get it half on, drop it on my face, break my nose.

Mint.

Hospital check because recently had surgery on my nose and would rather sort that now lol.

Reattempt getting manifold on without breaking nose again, am successful. Yuss.

Replace the fittings in the wastegates, because old and cruddy. Cut heat shielding to size for boost lines. Run vac lines for wastegates. #goodenuff

7da4f18bcd4919d09f3f146ac2000128.jpgf9e45cb8c45ae31bfcd4b82a770a57e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 8

• Admin

Only required a completely built motor and head work to get there :/ Stock location still sucks.

Why would you spend all that money and not go twisted? I mean they even went for an Emtron, it's not like budget was a consideration.

• Like 3

• Admin

Returned back to Auckland after a South Island road trip including FlatNats with a few other CS members.

Heading North from Akaroa I noticed my rad fans running loudly whilst sitting still. Was a hot day (29°C) and had just had a spirted drive over the Akaroa hills so didn't think much of it.

No temp gauge in the car meant I relied on Cold/Hot temp warning lights.

After taking it easy for a while I and still hearing the fans I became a tad more concerned. Plugged in my trusty OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and ran Torque... coolant temp was sitting between 102-108°C. Stopped in Kaikoura and checked coolant... overflow was empty. After topping up temps returned to a more comfortable 84-90°C.

@Firenza grabbed a radiator cap for me in Wellington and checked everything in Palmy this morning... rad cap was busted. New cap on and happy days.

For those with newer Subarus that lack a proper temp gauge, I highly recommend grabbing a cheap OBD2 Bluetooth adapter so you can quickly check temps etc.

• Like 3

• Admin

Also, a side note to the above. 

As much as I wish to support local businesses (subaru NZ or a dealership), their pricing is absolutely pathetic and makes it economically unviable to even do headgaskets for an engine in a older or stock car. 

For example, at a discounted price, I was quoted just over $960 

Want an example of price differences. 

11044AA483 (headgasket) -

NZ: $109.71ea

Partsouq: $43.08ea

806933010 (o-ring) - 

NZ: $5.45ea 

Partsouq: $1.59ea

13293AA051 (Spark plug seal) - 

NZ: $13.41ea

Partsouq: $5.45ea

13270AA162 (r cover gasket) -

NZ: $24.38ea

Partsouq: $10.18ea

13272AA094 (R cover gasket) -

NZ: $24.38

Partsouq: $10.18ea

11095AA042 (cylinder head bolts) - 

NZ: $25.30ea

Partsouq (revised part 11095AA123): $5.16

11051AA070 (half moon seals) - 

NZ: $17.71ea

Partsouq: $3.49ea

806733030 (oil seal) -

NZ: $18.98ea

Partsouq: $4.05ea

14038AA000 (exhaust gasket) - 

NZ: $22ea

Partsouq: $4.33

and the absolute best for last. This is an absolute piss take for pricing.

14035AA421 (intake manifold gasket) -

NZ: $32.91ea

Partsouq: $3.90ea

Want the biggest kicker? Before you jump in saying 'Well that's before GST and shipping!" 

Shipping is a total of $37.61 NZD on FedEx 2-5 day courier.

And all those prices for the gaskets in NZ.... Yeah those are plus GST.... 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, Dairusire said:

Also, a side note to the above. 

As much as I wish to support local businesses (subaru NZ or a dealership), their pricing is absolutely pathetic and makes it economically unviable to even do headgaskets for an engine in a older or stock car. 

Want the biggest kicker? Before you jump in saying 'Well that's before GST and shipping!" 

Shipping is a total of $37.61 NZD on FedEx 2-5 day courier.

And all those prices for the gaskets in NZ.... Yeah those are plus GST.... 

Yeah I gave up when it was 6 weeks and $230 for a seal from Subaru NZ which was $30 from partsouq. Even with slow cheap shipping took 7 days 

DHL is quicker to ship around the world compared to the time anything takes in NZ. 

Edited by Gripless

1 hour ago, Gripless said:

Yeah I gave up when it was 6 weeks and $230 for a seal from Subaru NZ which was $30 from partsouq. Even with slow cheap shipping took 7 days 

DHL is quicker to ship around the world compared to the time anything takes in NZ. 

what seal costs $230 from Subaru but is $30 on partsouq?

On 3/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, Dairusire said:

Well, I placed my largest order off partsouq to date so far. 

Ordered just over 82 individual gaskets. Some for the RA with it's upcoming sleeved 2.35L build, but mostly for the legacy which has decided to blow a headgasket unfortunately. 

Have they shipped your order out yet?

I’ve ordered so many parts from partsouq in the past. Unfortunately they have been really bad at accepting my latest orders showing 30+ of each item in stock, then sending out the order with only half of the items and refunding me for the rest.

Then I will get an email a few days later saying all the parts are back in stock. Very frustrating.

Those intake manifold gaskets were one of the ones I recently had this happen with so I’m interested to see if you receive them.

1 hour ago, IZichard said:

Have they shipped your order out yet?

I’ve ordered so many parts from partsouq in the past. Unfortunately they have been really bad at accepting my latest orders showing 30+ of each item in stock, then sending out the order with only half of the items and refunding me for the rest.

Then I will get an email a few days later saying all the parts are back in stock. Very frustrating.

Those intake manifold gaskets were one of the ones I recently had this happen with so I’m interested to see if you receive them.

I had this the other day with some parts.  Happened to me 3 times so I emailed them about it. And they got it sorted pretty quickly, and had parts within a week.

41 minutes ago, ginganinja said:

I had this the other day with some parts.  Happened to me 3 times so I emailed them about it. And they got it sorted pretty quickly, and had parts within a week.

Ok, I might do that with my next order then. So they actually did have the items in stock in your case?

7 hours ago, IZichard said:

Ok, I might do that with my next order then. So they actually did have the items in stock in your case?

The website said they did, and every time I ordered,  a couple of days later I would get a notification saying it wasn't in stock, and then the next day after that another notification would come through to say it was back in stock.

It was quite confusing so I emailed to ask them to confirm if it was available/in stock? And if it was, how do I order it because every time I do it doesnt work.

I think i eventually ordered it and the person I was dealing with said to email them the order number. They looked after it from there.

• Like 1

• Subscribed Member
On 4/11/2020 at 5:10 PM, Shibe said:

Got a tune on the Forester today (bone stock)

133.8kw > 162.5kw

A nice increase in torque

Car feels completely different 😁

Nice result!

Apet by the looks of it? Nik's always been a good yarn there, really need to get my WRX finished and over to him...

Speaking of, I'm one step closer now, finally got a new up pipe for the WRX, the old one had a cut in it from removing the heat shield, found a stainless steel one brand new on trademe for $80. So that should get me a step closer to running.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:14 AM, Technikhaus said:

Nice result!

Apet by the looks of it? Nik's always been a good yarn there, really need to get my WRX finished and over to him...

Speaking of, I'm one step closer now, finally got a new up pipe for the WRX, the old one had a cut in it from removing the heat shield, found a stainless steel one brand new on trademe for $80. So that should get me a step closer to running.

Yup, sure is Apet. Nik is a super friendly, easy to deal with person. 

Edited by Shibe
  • Like 1