Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Potentially quite a bit of damage 

but really. Leisurely drive, gave it a wee bit of berries because who doesn’t like being thrown into the seat a wee bit? 

final corner from my destination and white smoke pissing out from the engine bay. Temp gauge 4/5 of the way up. Pull over and coolant all through the engine. No obvious sign on where it’s coming from though 

big sigh 😓

• Subscribed Member
11 hours ago, Shibe said:

Potentially quite a bit of damage 

but really. Leisurely drive, gave it a wee bit of berries because who doesn’t like being thrown into the seat a wee bit? 

final corner from my destination and white smoke pissing out from the engine bay. Temp gauge 4/5 of the way up. Pull over and coolant all through the engine. No obvious sign on where it’s coming from though 

big sigh 😓

Straight from the radiator cap maybe? 
Never hurts to buy new ones, not too expensive, and rules them out.

2 hours ago, Technikhaus said:

Straight from the radiator cap maybe? 
Never hurts to buy new ones, not too expensive, and rules them out.

This is very true.

More or less concerned about any internal damage from overheating. Just me assuming the worst though!

• Subscribed Member
10 hours ago, Shibe said:

This is very true.

More or less concerned about any internal damage from overheating. Just me assuming the worst though!

Ah that's fair!
if it didn't go right into the hot and stay there, then I'd say you're fine. 
haven't had any issues since?

10 hours ago, Technikhaus said:

Ah that's fair!
if it didn't go right into the hot and stay there, then I'd say you're fine. 
haven't had any issues since?

I've parked her up since it happened, just need to get someone to look at it 

• Like 1

• Admin

Well, this has to be potentially one of the most frustrating weekends I've had with Subarus in a VERY long time. 

warning. LONG read. 

tl;dr 

LOTS of things don't go my way. 
Things broke that shouldn't have broke. 
I consider insurance fraud. 
I fixed it after putting in WAY too many stressful hours. 
I'm definitely not selling it now because it owes me WAY too much money. 

Also, @SAS Richard, thank you for the help on identifying the issue from over 1200km away -_- Man knows so much about Subarus it's not funny. Kinda is, comical but guru is literally a thing. 

@94 Leone Dude, you're legendary. Your assistance in getting this flame heap of a turd running was absolutely critical, I can't thank you more. 

lastly, take a moment to thank people who share information here on clubsub. You're all awesome. 
I wouldn't know anything or how to fix much without this community or its support. So cheers all. 

===================================================================

Got my Legacys engine back and started putting it in on Saturday, engine in the bay in under an hour. Going really well! I thought -_- 
Start bolting things up run out of light so call it a day. Good progress was made. 

Sunday brings us getting most of the last things bolted up! all ancillaries, coolant system, etc all hooked up ready to go! and nothing

It cranks but won't do crap. 

Check fuel priming to injectors. Yeap got fuel pressure. 
Check Spark? Yep got that too. 

Breathe in? Yep got air. 

Pulled spark plugs and they're cleeeeeean. 

wtf, maybe fuel injectors gummed up from sitting for nearly 3 months?

Drive home in the car I've borrowed from a mate.... Literally pulling into the drive way I hear a sound no-one wants to hear. The sound of pads having worn through and being metal on metal. Check the brakes and confirmed. They're boned. Well, guess there goes by back-up for getting back to work tomorrow morning -_- 

"Hey boss, look... I'm having a really bad weekend"

MONDAY: 

Out they come I'm off to petroject and say 'please test and clean if needed, need done now'

30 minutes and $75 later. 

"Good news and bad news. Good news, injectors are perfect, like spraying way too well for what are 20yr old injectors. Bad news is, your fuel system issue your problem with the car not starting. I did replace the o-rings though. They were perished "

WHAT THE HELL! 

Check crank sensor and cam sensor, also, fyi, if you've got a multimeter you can test these and for subarus they should come out between 1.5-3 ohms. Mine came out bang in the middle 1.9ohms. 

Well if that's not the issue.... *Looks at the Crank Sprocket* "God dammit"

After confirming with online parts numbers for my car, my crank sprocket was the wrong bloody one. 

Drive to pukekohe from North shore and back. remove cambelt, put on the right sprocket. Go to install the last idler threaded the bolt aaall the way in by hand, went in really nice, just to tighten it up a smidge before hitting them with the torque wrench... aaaaaand righty loosey. 

Pulled the ENTIRE thread out of the block. 
Kevin comes in clutch, delivers me a M10x1.25 helicoil kit at 6:30pm at night and install the helicoil that night, in the dark.

Tuesday

aaaand I put it back to the absolute minimum I can to try start it.
First try, does it even count if you didn't hit the starter? ignition on, fuel pump prime and I hear the unmistakable sound of fuel pissing out on the ground. Oh look, an injector seal is leaking. Pull both right hand injectors and looks like one must've gotten an o-ring JUUUUUUST too smol. 

Back to petroject, they give me new o-rings, bang em back in the car and sure as heck, it starts up thankfully not spewing fuel everywhere. 

Big yass. 

Only to be shot in the foot 40 minutes later when I notice that the clutch ain't doing crap. 

and that ladies and gentlemen, is where I wasted the next 6 hours trying to bleed it out, and fix what can't be fixed. 

A quick visit from a friend of mine who did this sorta crap for a job, "you're an idiot sandwich mate. You've got a blown Master Cylinder....."

and that brings us to our Finale. 

Wednesday.

up at 8am. Down over to Grey Lyn for rotors and pads for the other car as I'm thinking maybe it's time to eat a slice of humble pie and try fix the lowest hanging fruit issue first and brake fluid for my legacy and this loaner car. 

Friend from giltrap gives me a buzz while I'm driving "You need a master cylinder aye? I can get you a cheap one from PartsMaster for $80?" 
You know I'm all about them deals. 

pick it up, shoot back to the legacy, and I sh!t you not, that thing is bolted up bled and working in under 25 minutes. 

Quick test drive.. To hamilton for work?? Lets take all the tools....

Runs, drives and oh god it was so worth the stress this @$$hole has put me through haha. 

Guess it's just in time for a wash eh? Oh... Hey weather system. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Admin

So the tensioner assembly arrived from Rock Auto.

Managed to fight the car to remove the old one without having to remove the power steering pump.

Glad I opted to order the whole assembly rather than just the pulley, as it turns out the assembly was damaged.

142489607_882640809168704_2503134356320196413_n.thumb.jpg.c45722f01c5801bdbfc232aa0dcfb18f.jpg

Then it was another battle to try and fit the new assembly without being able to see the bolt holes. Universal joints came in handy here.

Once back together, belt on and bleeding the coolant system tomorrow night.

142264868_438251960952015_2691601113750113491_n.jpg.c1da035130f5cde1d0bb10d0a2f32e6a.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 5:10 PM, Shibe said:

Got a tune on the Forester today (bone stock)

133.8kw > 162.5kw

A nice increase in torque

Car feels completely different 😁

uc0ea84.jpg

On reading this again, is this literally 500+Nm of Torque at the wheels or is there something else to factor in with a dyno run? Given that factory is around 330Nm seems like a wild increase. 

• Admin
5 hours ago, Shibe said:

On reading this again, is this literally 500+Nm of Torque at the wheels or is there something else to factor in with a dyno run? Given that factory is around 330Nm seems like a wild increase. 

No idea what these type of dyno’s actually show but it isn't the same as most other dyno’s, some uncorrected figure I assume. my Legacy on a dyno torque dyno while making 170kw showed something stupid like 900nm

@gotasuby might know. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 10:39 AM, Batbaruman said:

@Dairusire broo that is absolutely nuts. you have the willpower of the gods to stick to it , good on ya. hope it bring you plenty smiles to come, that weekend story is more intimate than some have in years with their car haha.

willpower of the gods, nah. Mans just doesn't know when he's beat lmao

On 10/02/2021 at 11:26 AM, Shibe said:

Also, the above figures are not yet applied to diff ratio, so if you have a 4.44:1 diff, divide that 510nm by 4.44 giving you roughly 114nm of actual torque.

Edited by 94 Leone
  • Haha 1

Decided gonna sell the V9 STi, 25k. Need to clean it first.  Just pre-market here. Launch control,tuned by chris wall @prestige 221kw atw, intake, exhaust, 3mm mani spacers, dw300 fuel pump, defi gauges, PM if interested. Body has had a few trolley dings. 

6 Speed, DCCD, 5x114, 143k kms. I have an aprilia rsv4 if I want to go fast. So the leone is plenty of fun. 

• Like 1

I got the 08 Leggy GT back today from the  mechanics. The Secondary Air pump had failed causing sporadic fault codes which would go and then come back a little while down the road. They sent the ECU away for a remap, to get the Secondary pump turned off in the system so it's now a vestigial lump on the engine.

I think they also put in a new tune or applied the corrections to the basemap, because I usually blow a fair amount of black smoke if my ECU gets reset when I do my first pull which then goes away with subsequent pulls as the ECU adjusts its AFRs. Anyway it's awesome. I was just glad it wasn't caused by the change in Oil type that I put in 2000kms ago. Moved from Castrol Edge Titanium to Penrite HPR5, both 5W-40.

Also got my brakes chamfered to stop an annoying squeak.