Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

• Admin
14 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

I changed teams...

How does one of those compare to a similar priced earlier gen R? I feel like i’d always want the R for the all wheel drive even if it's a more front biased setup compared to Subaru’s

• Admin

How does one of those compare to a similar priced earlier gen R? I feel like i’d always want the R for the all wheel drive even if it's a more front biased setup compared to Subaru’s

Yeah I did look at the Mk6 R but I went for this as it's a huge step up with the mod cons and comfort for everyday driving. The Mk6 R still has cambelt which I wanted to avoid too. And the Mk7 R was a good $10k or so more than this. Might upgrade to the R at some point but this was what ticked my boxes and fit the budget.

I've yet to drive this properly... (Thanks Covid) but round town it's comfy and quick. Definitely a change from a heavy AWD Legacy.
And having the special active front diff is meant to make a huge difference over the standard GTI.

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Admin

I had a big job adding a piece of plastic from a Legacy in the STI’s engine bay.

As expected it fits just the same on the GR/GV chassis, unfortunately the Legacy battery cover doesn't quite fit the same as the support behind the lights is about 5-10mm further forward so none of the front points line up. I might still cut it slightly to fit but it’ll probably bug me not being a perfect fit. 

51392212170_34f91d81ab_b.jpg

• Like 4

I had a big job adding a piece of plastic from a Legacy in the STI’s engine bay.
As expected it fits just the same on the GR/GV chassis, unfortunately the Legacy battery cover doesn't quite fit the same as the support behind the lights is about 5-10mm further forward so none of the front points line up. I might still cut it slightly to fit but it’ll probably bug me not being a perfect fit. 

I’ve been looking for a pair of those to suit my car, not easy to come across!

• Admin
49 minutes ago, EJGOD said:

I’ve been looking for a pair of those to suit my car, not easy to come across!

Shouldn't be that hard. I got the pair for $30 from Jeremy at Subidoo. I just had the challenge of finding a car at his that still had them haha

• Like 1

Lucky you... I managed a full loom de-wire / re-wire last lock down... this year all I can think of is tidying up the jack points on the sills.

The engine is out for a rebuild and I possibly need a new turbo, so I can't even do any online shopping :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscribed Member

The gravel express ticked over 250,000kms today.
Well, the base chassis did, mostly everything was refreshed, so not much is actually that old.
Although I realised that also means the engine has ticked over 400Kms since being built now, and it's been absolutely flawless in that time.
I've been enjoying driving it every now and then, and it's been super practical.

The lease on my workshop is up at the end of the month, so using this to move everything to my lock up, it fits a surprising amount in it, that's for sure. 
Just wish It had roof racks for some of the larger stuff!

bFdCdXX.jpg?1

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

How much smaller than the old ones?

That is a good question. I don't know what spec the current cams are. They came in the car... no markings and are a bit on the weird side. Without dialling them in they caused #2/#4 to run very lean,

and #1/#3 to run very rich. It lead to a great deal of head scratching to figure it out before I had adjustable cam gears. Once dialled in, that problem was solved to a degree, but they are still just bad.

Good power once spooled (at 5k rpm)... but s*** everywhere else. Very sluggish to get off idle... chronic fuel smell at idle... chronic fuel consumption all round. They are not high lift because the

heads haven't been modified to fit them and there is plenty of clearance... but I think they have a moderately large duration and a s*** load of overlap.

New cams are Kelford 199-j... short duration, high lift and almost no overlap. Should be night and day. 

Edited by Loren
  • Like 3

• Subscribed Member
4 hours ago, Loren said:

That is a good question. I don't know what spec the current cams are. They came in the car... no markings and are a bit on the weird side. Without dialling them in they caused #2/#4 to run very lean,

and #1/#3 to run very rich. It lead to a great deal of head scratching to figure it out before I had adjustable cam gears. Once dialled in, that problem was solved to a degree, but they are still just bad.

Good power once spooled (at 5k rpm)... but s*** everywhere else. Very sluggish to get off idle... chronic fuel smell at idle... chronic fuel consumption all round. They are not high lift because the

heads haven't been modified to fit them and there is plenty of clearance... but I think they have a moderately large duration and a s*** load of overlap.

New cams are Kelford 199-j... short duration, high lift and almost no overlap. Should be night and day. 

Wow that sounds exactly how mine currently drives 🤔

Done my first wheel bearing/hub today. Rear passenger side wheel bearing on my 2016 STi gave up at 98,000km.

Must have worn out prematurely from all the AWD burnouts on the Taupo skidpad!

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, they were taken on Snapchat and then saved…

68b8b59f2d60faca2d6fe2c4832223ae.jpg
7b660da71c443852e99f2faaba4ee265.jpg
da7921cc8fd4f8a4cd26402f409bde95.jpg
c1ee02e9406bbe7e1b242690613e6b3b.jpg

• Like 4