Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Andy_Mac said:
Na, absolutly nothing. Routed it the way I did to avoid any cutting with the hope it'd pass. WOF guy pretty much said he thought it looked allgood but wanted a cert guy to give it a quick look and write something on the sheet saying it was sweet. As expected the cert guy said **** that, that'll be $550

Chur to the guy at vtnz nothing cut no sharp edges should be a clean pass.

GC8E2DD said:
Car is going to be in getting rust surgery this weekend sadly Viv. No warrant, and thus no rego on the poor old coupe til that's fixed.

Hows the rust repairs going ?

What did they find?

Just so i know where to check..

Cheers

Mainly in the channel that runs around the boot aperture; especially where the hinges are recessed towards the base of the rear windscreen. It was the drivers side hinge that failed it, but I'm embarking on some preventative touch ups in a number of places: guards (where I've DIY rolled them ages ago), roof, door sills. Also in the coupes (not sure about sedans), you get water running down and collecting at the base of the 3/4 windows when the seals start to perish.

Mine has a small spot in the boot channel as well..

Been the same since i bought it 6 years ago..hasn't got bigger but rust is rusty stuff..

Bought a second hand rear screen in case they break the original removing it..

should get it repaired at some stage,quoted $500 including some other tidying up bits..

Did they pull your rear screen..?

Yeah, rear screen will most likely come out. I had some rust work done in the same place by another outfit between six and twelve months ago. They obviously just covered it up rather than fixing it, so this time I'm not mucking around.

El_Chado said:
How is a front mount an issue for WOF?

Its not if you dont cut anything. But because at minimum you need to cut the plastic bumper it could be seen as effecting the frontal impact so they are within their rights to fail and direct you to a low vol cert inspector.

evowrx said:
Its not if you dont cut anything. But because at minimum you need to cut the plastic bumper it could be seen as effecting the frontal impact so they are within their rights to fail and direct you to a low vol cert inspector.

Wouldnt putting an after market bumper affect frontal impact? Such as fibre glass vs plastic bumper

• Admin

Not so much the bumper but any crash beams behind the bumper and whether they'll still do their thing in an impact. Its a bit of a catch 22 really because with nothing cut it doesn't need a cert but the cert guy is the only one who can correctly say it hasn't effected it so either way its a $550 bill

• Admin
 loner said:
bought a crank, pistons, head studs, clutch and flywheel. all at engineering place along with the block being machined and balanced etc.

What a chequebook racer, you should be honing your block yourself with a roll of sandpaper and a toilet brush ;)

boon said:
What a chequebook racer, you should be honing your block yourself with a roll of sandpaper and a toilet brush ;)

I've been trying to fix this motor by myself since September... decided it was time to pay someone with half a clue... if I ever want to use the car.

• Admin

Was feeling kind so did a mirror swap this arvo for the apprentice at work who had his smashed up. Suprisingly easy to do on a Legacy.

Who out there has done a 6mt clutch change. Is it really that much harder than a 5mt one? Gonna give it a crack with the car just on some ramps and not sure whether i'm rowing myself up **** creek without a paddle or whether it'll kinda work out alright.

• Admin

Was planning on just whipping the axles and driveshaft out and lowering it down slightly onto a fork trolley thing then wheeling it back enough to get the clutch out. And yea, no hoist, gonna be backyard as **** like that mx-5 chap

Wouldn't trust any of my mates holding a screwdriver let alone manouvring a gearbox for a clutch swap so this suckers gonna be a solo mish.

Edited by Andy_Mac