Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

44 minutes ago, Munkvy said:

On Saturday went up to Dannevirke, saw Joker, did some hooning in the countryside.

Even managed to get on to the podium, which was pretty cool. Video of the sprint::

Thats awesome, are you brake boosting on some of those more wide open corner entries? 

14 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

Thats awesome, are you brake boosting on some of those more wide open corner entries? 

Brake boosting? Do you mean left foot braking? Yes, I left foot brake in some of the faster corners to get the weight transfer forward and so I don't have to spool turbo back up. I also heel toe on downshift, so you can hear that in some corners with the BOV going off twice.

Not my tidiest work though I have to be honest, I probably was a bit rough in some of the middle sections. And that road marker I hit right near the finish took paint off the bumper and bonnet...

And for some random stats. Under braking the car was pulling 1g and lateral g forces it peaked at 1.4g in one corner according to the GPS data logging. But only peaked at 150km/hr. Need a new motor as this one is down on compression...

• Like 1

Pretty cool, how much is it to enter a race like that one ?

I could be interested, but I might need something else than the outback :P 

Apart from that, drained and filled my ATF recently. Gear changes are smoother and I don't get shaking when the steering wheel is turned at the maximum anymore. I guess it was the clutch used to transfer the power to the rear axle that did that (there's something like that in the 5-EAT right ?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Munkvy said:

On Saturday went up to Dannevirke, saw Joker, did some hooning in the countryside.

Even managed to get on to the podium, which was pretty cool. Video of the sprint::

Nice! But oh man my 200 000km old 5 speed wouldn't thank me if I drove it like that

12 hours ago, delta said:

Pretty cool, how much is it to enter a race like that one ?

I could be interested, but I might need something else than the outback :P 

Apart from that, drained and filled my ATF recently. Gear changes are smoother and I don't get shaking when the steering wheel is turned at the maximum anymore. I guess it was the clutch used to transfer the power to the rear axle that did that (there's something like that in the 5-EAT right ?)

I think it was $100-120 to enter, and you just need a fire extinguisher, helmet and overalls and a race license, which is actually quite easy to get. One year I did that event in my E30 BMW road car on gravel tyres and I have raced my BG5 Legacy a number of times too. So anything goes...

12 hours ago, calebwrx said:

Nice! But oh man my 200 000km old 5 speed wouldn't thank me if I drove it like that

Don't flat shift and you will be fine :D That's also one reason to rev match on downshift...

• General Member

heh there were at least two 'uncaged' cars there & its not like I didn't post it here, do people not use the "unread activity button" to see new posts on the forums or something?

:D

the DCC event was not a secret

7 minutes ago, delta said:

I get emails for new posts on this topic but haven't checked the other topics recently :P

Thx for the details, it's quite affordable. 

Most hillclimb type events are. Much cheaper than track racing and better on the car as long as you keep it on the road.

• Like 2

• Admin
21 minutes ago, 4G63B8 said:

Took the car in to get the new exhaust system put in find out the oil sump is leaking >:( so guttered another thing to save up to try and sort out in the near future

It's quite easy to fix yourself bud. Take oil sump off give it a clean and seal it with RTV. Doooone.

• Like 1

• Admin

Just now, 1randomkiwi said:

Ran some upper engine cleaner through.

Also got stuck in and removed the Zerosport side skirts as they weren't very secure on the passenger side.
Found that they were missing clips and brackets... Will have to find some more plastic clips to replace the old and missing ones.
Got around to the drivers side and it seems like someone has gone full ham with the goop gun... Will take a while to clean that off :(

I'm leaving the side skirts off for now until I clean them up and replace the clips.
Have some EZ Lip on the way for the front, so I might test fit some on the side skirts to see how it looks.

2wcp1ocf.x1s.jpg

20 hours ago, Dairusire said:

It's quite easy to fix yourself bud. Take oil sump off give it a clean and seal it with RTV. Doooone.

Thanks bro, will see if i can attempt that, heard all the oil will need to be dumped as well before anything and have to lift the motor up slightly for the sump to come off??

well at least the new xforce redline exhaust is on and whoa what a difference it makes to performance from the standard one...

3 hours ago, 4G63B8 said:

Thanks bro, will see if i can attempt that, heard all the oil will need to be dumped as well before anything and have to lift the motor up slightly for the sump to come off??

well at least the new xforce redline exhaust is on and whoa what a difference it makes to performance from the standard one...

Yes, oil will need to be drained and you'll need to unbolt the engine mounts and jack it up a bit, I jacked it up from the gearbox when I replaced my sump. Just an FYI it will take about 5.5l of oil to fill it afterwards.

It's a pretty shitty job tbh.

Watch this and take note of the tools he uses - you'll need all of them.

• Like 1