Howdy team, after some advice
Picked up a fair Version 7 STI for a steal with some bolt on mods - was abit neglected on servicing end and in dire need of some attention such as a couple oil leaks and black oil and some hori'd up hoses and piping/catch cans. Drove fine on inspection and 5 minute drive home, no overheating or weird noises until...
I got home and sat on idle and gave it a little rev upto 5500 and noticed a puff of smoke out exhaust - temperature gauge still normal, i immediately turned it off, to find the catch can had blown its top and was mixed with water and oil everywhere. I opened the radiator cap to check for milkyness and it was normal water no mixture - so I let car cool down and only till about 2 hours later the dip stick would only slightly start to show milky substance confirming the mix from the catch can episode that somehow water got into the oil system for about 10 seconds before being shut down.
I was already anticipating a freshen up and given the price i paid i'm still in good spirits despite this happening as soon as i purchased.
I'm looking for cost estimates to rebuild/reseal a EJ207?? I'm fairly confident the shortblock and bearings etc is fine as no weird noises and never overheated or ran with the watered down oil, so suspecting just headgasket failure. I'm located in Auckland and looking for two options essentially.
A drive-in/drive-out service cost OR pulling the engine myself and dropping it into a shop.
Wanting to stay stock and OEM rebuild and parts, maybe APR headstuds and a MLS headgasket but looking to stay stock. What would be the cost il'd be looking at for a best case scenario that my internals are good and just needs new headgasket and doing the essentials whilst there such as cambelt/rear main etc etc - essentially a rebuild. and what shops would recommend?
Trying to stay within a budget without cutting corners/quality - so willing to pull/re-install engine myself if it saves lots atleast 2000$+ on labor. So just looking what pricing i should be expecting
By
SkarDub ·