Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Brake Issues WOF

Well my 1.6l 1993 impreza failed on a few things for the WOF but I need help on the brake related issues. I haven't really had much to do with brakes other than bleeding them etc so I really don't have much idea on how to adjust them and what-not. I might just have to take it into a mechanic and bite the bullet but I thought it was worth posting here first.

The first issue is that the rear brakes are quite imbalanced - the left coming up as 112 kN and the right as 167 kN. Under heavy braking I often feel a shudder which might be because of this. Is there any tricks or checklist to go through when dealing with this sort of thing?

The second issue is that the front right brake has "seized". I don't think it has actually seized but it doesn't freely turn (spin the wheel and it will just stop). Could possibly be a wheel bearing but I am sure the WOF inspector would have picked up on that.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Guest boostin

Pull the drums off and see if a wheel cylinder is leaking.

Nah it's usually a seized caliper slide pin, not a seized piston. The inner pad will be worn if it has a seized slide.

Checked both drums and nothing out of the ordinary or leaks around the cylinder. A lot of dust and crap so I cleaned them both out.

The front brake didn't show any premature wearing or seizing either, put it back on and bolted everything up and it seems to turn a bit easier for some reason but still has quite a bit of resitance.

I am stumped ???

Guest boostcut

if the rear still has an imbalance, split the shoes, take one off each side and swap them over, also swap the drums from side to side, use emery tape to clean the drum and shoes up, adjust them up and ride the handbrake all the way to the testing station.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Status Updates

• MrSg9Sti04

Afternoon team,
      im new to the group first time posting. Im hoping some body can help me get my launch control all dialled in on my link g4x. Ive had the computer and car all tuned from chris at prestige awesome knowlegable guy super happy with the results but now im wanting to get my launch/anti lag all dialled in. Ive been reading multiple different forums etc all with different conflicking information which has made me nervious with what do i listen to this or that if you get what i mean. Now ive started to make myself familiar with my PClink software etc the past few weeks and im eager to learn how to do minor setups or tweaks etc so im not relieing on my tuner so much and obviously saving myself abit hurt in the back pocket. 
      Now back to the question at hand.... Im wondering if theres and one who could please share there knowledge and wisdom with setting all my values, timing, fuel etc when i have launch control armed and engaged, or even a launch tune file they can possibly send me to load onto my tune. Ive figured out the setup of my digital inputs turning launch control on etc and its obvisously on its pre set factory settings. It engages but doesnt sound the greatest or as angry as it should i feel. Hence reaching out to you good buggers. 

Cheers in advance for any info and help yous maybe able to give me.

Cheers Shaun
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  gotasuby

updated your DP's too : hope that's ok!
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  SAS

Updated your DP's to reflect your business page  
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  Nachoooo

Updated your Avatar : couldnt help myself  cheers!
      · 0 replies