Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EJ18 Singlepoint and multipoint fuel injection problem

Hi Team

I have a SPFI EJ18 that is totally shot. Some how ( i think when the cambelt was last done. NOT BY ME!) the crank pulley wasnt tightened properly, it banged around and now the woodruff key is battered and worn, the slot in the pulley is worn and rounded and worst of all the slot in the crank shaft now looks like \_/ rather than|_| This is causing a wandering cam to crank timing that screws with the power off the line and dangerous as hell to drive!

I reckon easiest solution is a new engine. I can find a SPFI EJ18 on trademe. But was thinking If I went with a MPFI engine, I could get something newer. What else would I need to swap over, Loom, computer anything else?

My other thought was to get a MPFI engine and swap in my SPFI stuff. The only problem with that is the SPFI engine has the dizzy while the MPFI engine is wasted spark. Is there is cover where the dizzy should go on the MPFI heads or would I have to swap heads?

It is possible to repair the crank with a "2 pak" metal - depending on how bad it is

If it was still driving then chances are good that it can be repaired

assemble with new crank bolt, key, crank pulley and crank sprocket and plently of the 2 pack filler

Set the sprocket up so it is the most "clockwise" in the worn key way to ensure correct cam timing

ummm, JB weld or similar may work but I think this is a little past that. The key is shapped

\ /

/ \

and the slots are a bit like

/ \

\ /

so there is a lot of wiggle room. Thinking a new engine or new crank is the way to go. does the MPFI head have a covered clearance for the dizzy or would I have to swap heads as well?

(Gotta love the ASCI art huh?)

Guest boostcut

just put the key in, glue it up with the metal putty, fit new pulley etc, and it will be fine. ive done it to a few legacys with good results.

if you want, pop the front seal out and get someone to build it up with wear bronze.

• 2 months later...
Guest S T  E Y E

yea man the early injected sohc engine have the spot for the distributor just has a blank plate covering it...

a sohc carb impreza came into my old workshop with a blowen motor...sold them the motor out of my red wagon which i converted to WRX which was injected and all the carb/ dissy stuff bolted straight on