Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

04 Forester, Thinking of Buying

Phewsion

I currently own a 99 legacy GT but it's auto and I want manual/single turbo. Looking at sporty options, and not a sedan.

As I'll be coming in to some money soon (house selling) I'd thought I'd look at the following

2004 SUBARU FORESTER STI

11207_0b.jpg

And just want opinions in terms of availability on mods, handling, etc.. (compared to 99-03 I think?)

Or just general opinions on the 04+ models, According to a couple dealers the older ones aren't being imported anymore because of the emission testing or something, So depending how quickly the house sells I might/might not have access to the older shape.

Any info appreciated

Also any recommendations on dealers in Auckland, I've been looking at Fast4s but have seen some bad things about them? not sure

From what I've seen of the insides of the 03+ legacys, their stereo surround is kinda built in, and I'd have to cut away at the dash to put in an aftermarket stereo?

04 Legacy 2.0R

792_8.jpg

04 Forester STI

11207_2b.jpg

In terms of ICE, the Forester is easier to upgrade, Also don't seem to be in the Top 10 most stolen cars in NZ, Legacy is 6 and WRX is 2 or 3 last I saw

Also the forester above has only done 50,000k's, where as the legacy has done 120,000k's, Not sure on which car yards to look at so I can't compare the GT Spec B legacy to the above forester.

This is all about me getting opinions, car yards just want sales so don't help much, I don't have much info on either car, But I have test drive the fozz in the photo and absolutely loved it

In terms of length , the 04+ legacy (from what I've seen in the ones driving past work) seems bigger the the previous BH models (length wise) and I was after something a bit more sporty (i.e STI) but I don't like sedans to much and not a fan of the sport hatch look.

If I could test drive/see a 04+ Legacy GT Spec B. my opinions might change, but they seem hard to find with low k's

Guest loren

hmm, just never thought of a fozz as sporty... even if it has a few STi bits, it's still a bit brick like.

The newer imprezas are pretty big aren't they?

Fozz is cheaper insurance due to the insurance companies underestimating their potential ;) T

hey may be big ships but with a few suspension mods they can be really ( I mean REALLY) nice rides for all daily driving situations in my biased opinion. Not too big to be a pain to park, but big enough to fit a big black Lab and other cargo in the back (read: $300 of beer + luggage ::) I'm not an alcoholic!).

I've always liked the SG9 Foresters, they seem more well... full of awesome than the SF5's and *insert current chassis code here* the new ones. Think they also make more POWAH! than the sf5's and dont have the huge amount of ugly that they whacked the new ones with.

I'd take a Foz over a GT-B anyday just because of the added practicality that comes with being a few inches higher off the ground. . . and apparently chicks love 'em!

There are a few of the 3.0R's on trademe at the moment, what about something like this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/LEGACY/auction-210217856.htm

or this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-185232701.htm

They come with the flash McIntosh 11 Speaker stereo so there wouldnt be to much need for improvement

matdaymon said:

Fozz is cheaper insurance due to the insurance companies underestimating their potential ;) T

hey may be big ships but with a few suspension mods they can be really ( I mean REALLY) nice rides for all daily driving situations in my biased opinion. Not too big to be a pain to park, but big enough to fit a big black Lab and other cargo in the back (read: $300 of beer + luggage ::) I'm not an alcoholic!).

I've always liked the SG9 Foresters, they seem more well... full of awesome than the SF5's and *insert current chassis code here* the new ones. Think they also make more POWAH! than the sf5's and dont have the huge amount of ugly that they whacked the new ones with.

I'd take a Foz over a GT-B anyday just because of the added practicality that comes with being a few inches higher off the ground. . . and apparently chicks love 'em!

What this man said^^

that blue STi FOZ is very noice. I'd take it right away.

I've driven a '03 GT b spec Legacy and its very nice but sedans lask that bit of versatility you get with the wagon body shape. Hard to beat the all round practicality of the Forester. The ground clearance is great (so too is an Outback) but the head room is really great. The room for an audio install & options for locating components is vast.

We sold a RSK B4 just the other day for our new Foz & so glad we did. The drive os a little softer (ours is Type A with STi suspenion) than the RSK/GTb but our track day warrior/daily driver road car days are over.

Will come down to your space requirements I reckon.

I wanted a v7 WRX but they are too cramped behind the fromt seats and offer a less well put together interior.

Buy the SG9 Foz, you'll love it.

I'm quite a big guy, that's why I went for a 99 over a 97 Legacy in the first place, found the 97 to cramped.

Hence why I was looking at the Fozz, nice height, more leg room than the impreza but not as long as a wagon, also cheaper insurance.

But it all depends how much we end up getting for the house and getting a new one, whether we get the 04 or an earlier model Fozz, e.g 2002 Forester XT

• 5 weeks later...
Guest dcornie

i have an 01 foz and i find that there is heaps of room used to have 3 step kids and partner so much more room than my previous ride (M**** evo 4) :o and hepas of room for storage and head space being tallish i don't hit my head anymore

I've been in a sg9 and thought it was quite a nice step up from the sf5 which I own.

Also the Sti is about 320bhp i think. With some suspension upgrades could be a mean handler.

The guys on Subaruforester.org in the states seem to only like sg's and take things really seriously. look at some of the journals to get an average power/handling stats.

• 2 weeks later...

dude id get the fory if i had the money, head room is awesome and look at it, its sik!! do a utube search to see one getting caned and compared to an sti and the driver loved it. as for caryards id skip them and go private, ie, trademe. way better prices and the money u save can go towards a mechanical warranty etc...

Sti FOZ - nice vehicle and not common being the Sti version

Depends on what sort of car you want, but I'd take that Sti Foz anyday !! :)