Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

project car

dubbedup

hey guys,

heres the plan:

I have an tidy early legacy sedan auto, that blew the rear diff, he parted it out and i ended with a rolling body, (plates on hold) i have a gerarbox out of another wreck, i have found a overheating motor 2.2 twin cam from a same shape legacy which is going to geting a ej20 turbo conversion.....anyway im planning to use this 2.2 motor, after headgasket/waterpump/whatever is fixed ...problem is i like my cars to go fast..... so

Will the ej20 turbo exhaust manifold fit on the ej22 motor? (has anyone else done this)

I figure i can tap the block in the factory position but am thinking its proberly easier to take if from the oil pressure sender, don? think i will even use the water cooling feature on the turbo, unless its too convienent.... anyway thats about where im up to so far...trying to think of ways to get it running...Do these motors use knock sensors etc?

Do they even come out with a NA 2.2??

thoughts/possible problems ahead!

dubbedup said:

sweet are all of them twin cam...or are there some quadcam ones

Some are SOHC and i think there mite be DOHC EJ22s?

people use the SOHC EJ22s in things like Brumbys etc. mines you dont have to cut as much out of the rails

also i think they did come in a sohc EJ22T in legacys. I dont know if they got sold here

all EJ22 are SOHC. There are no factory DOHC versions although the yanks wack EJ2.5 heads on their EJ22's. They have/had an EJ22T sold only in the north American market. It however is closed deck, unlike the NA one we got.

If you fit 2.5 heads to a 2.2 you'll end up with about 7.5:1 CR, which is why they tend to do the swap. Better flowing heads and a good CR for turbo applications.

edit: i dont see why the EJ20 turbo exhaust wouldn't fit, my EJ20 NA exhaust fits straight up to my 2.2 I guess you'd need a turbo x-member though.

Dam only got 1 Eej25 head...oh well alrady got a couple of turbd crossmembers pluss i think the original car was turbo so should fit up, im assuming lots of things will eb a straight swap over.... ie engine mounts will be tha same, turbo flywheel will bolt on etc

To the best of my knowledge the flywheel etc will bolt on eg: my 2.2 has a 2.0 flywheel. I'm interested to know how much boost the 2.2 will take actually, if not how much, then for how long :-\

I think you can use EJ20 heads, but not sure on the CR you'll end up with. the NA motor has 9.5:1 CR so wouldn't be wanting to boost far.

This web site is handy for working out "Frankenmotor" CR roughly based on the heads and block combo's.

http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/turbo/ejcalcs.html

Old Skool Subbie said:

You can run a EJ25 block with EJ22 Heads. Appraintly it can make it Higher compression motor motor

This is my plan. Gives 11.5:1 CR!!! piss poor flow from the 2.2 heads though, need to give them a port up.

Dubbedup - Did you end up getting that 2.5 block you were talking about bro?

Well its not here yet, but shouldnt be far away, yeah so far, i gota almost complete ej20t with afully smashed pistion or rod (something in there anyway!) closed block but wif ok heads, a fully complete ej22 and prolly rooted ej25 with one head, wanna rebuild the ej25 with lower compression to run some decent boost through it! but back to current project am planning to boost the factory ej22 SOHC prolly whatever the spare TD04 will factoryly push out..9psi?? have a few sets of injectors so will try see how that works out, my first serious project was a sr20de+t and it went for a wee while... but because i never got a proper tune that eneded that!

Yeah the EJ22's are reputed to be pretty strong but thats with no FI. There's alot of info over at NASIOC about converting some of the NA's to turbo. Boosted 22's among them.