Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bypassing Heat Core more detail needed...

HI

I'm wanting to bypass the heat core in my '92 GT Legacy as it is leaking and causing engine to overheat...

I have found this guide:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,11161.0.html

Just wanting a bit more info.

I have to take off the IC, is anything gonna come gushing out when I do this? lol Sorry for the noob question, just not sure what to expect...

I will need a couple of T joints, are they pretty much one size fits all, I think I remember seeing something about 5/8"?? Does that sound right for my car?

I will also need an extra piece of hose for the join... where does one get this from???

Sorry for the 20 questions :)

Any help greatfully received...

Nothing will come gushing out from the intercooler when you take it out... if it does you have problems :)

Not all hoses are the same diameter, I did this to an old car. I took of on of the hoses that goes from the engin to the firewall and took it down to the local automotive shop (supercheap, repco etc...) and they sorted me a joiner. They will have extra hoses too if you need it.

i did this on my wrx so slightly different, but i used the original piping and a couple of irrigation joiners from bunnings with a U shaped hose from supercheap (i think for a holden) works fine, just doesnt look the flashest.

Other thing you might want to consider is that not having a heater in your daily driver (assuming this car is a daily) can be a real issue.

Those days when it's raining and the humidity is up and all your windows fog up, blowing cold air from the fan ain't going to do nothing. This is the issue I had with the car I looped the heater out of the system. In the end I just man'd up and replaced the faulty heating core.

FST4RD said:

Nothing will come gushing out from the intercooler when you take it out... if it does you have problems :)

his intercooler is filled with coolant, so its a problem if he looses that. you want to undo the 'air' connections and not the 'wet' connections and bend the intercooler out of the way

kamineko']

[quote name='FST4RD said:

/quote]

his intercooler is filled with coolant, so its a problem if he looses that. you want to undo the 'air' connections and not the 'wet' connections and bend the intercooler out of the way

if hes got the 1st generation legacy with the water to air he can undo the wet connections as the intercooler water is not linked to the engines cooling system. thats what i noticed in mine. there should be a water cooler that looks like a small radiator right behind the front bumper. but if you undo the connections at the intercooler that should be completely fine.

also, you cant exactly "BEND" it out of the way as the feed and return lines runs adjacent to each other.

to be completely honest i did the heater core in mine and it doesnt take long at all. i can give you a hand if you like. will only take a couple hours :D

Ah geez, this is getting complicated. No idea what generation it is. It's a 92 legacy GT wagon.

2 hours you reckon? The guy at Winger reckoned 5 hours labour and $700 for parts. Even at parts only, that is too much.

raydenl said:

Ah geez, this is getting complicated. No idea what generation it is. It's a 92 legacy GT wagon.

2 hours you reckon? The guy at Winger reckoned 5 hours labour and $700 for parts. Even at parts only, that is too much.

nah not complicated dude :D is yours the square box shape? lol chassis code BF5. if so, i did a whole dashboard and heater core transplant in maybe 2ish hours on my BC5. all you needa get is a heater core. not sure how much they go for at the wreckers aye and then its just pulling the dash out. the secret is you actually dont have to take 90% of your dash out ;)

Yes it's a BF5. Probably still go with a basic bypass first to make sure the heater core is the issue.

Here's my intercooler:

83cb736e-df04-c724.jpg

Can only see the big hose (obviously air) and little one connected to the top.

raydenl said:

Yes it's a BF5. Probably still go with a basic bypass first to make sure the heater core is the issue.

Here's my intercooler:

83cb736e-df04-c724.jpg

Can only see the big hose (obviously air) and little one connected to the top.

ok. So if you look towards the right of the intercooler you should see some hoses comin out of it and running to the front of engine bay. Those are your water lines or "wet" connections.

To test your heater core i dont think u need to bypass it. Once you have the intercooler is off you will see two heater hoses going into the firewall. They are going into your heater core. The left one is for water going IN and the right one is for water comin OUT. Im not sure if this will work but it sounds like a reasonable test.

Take both hoses out first and fire up the car. If water comes out you know its not your water pump.

Then put just the INLET pipe back and start again. Observe for water comin out of the OUTLET of the heater core. If water does come out its not your heater core :D

ive read somewhere on here its ok to turn your car on without an intercooler as long as u just it idle.

Someone will correct if any of this is incorrect im sure :D

Slightly off topic.

Does the IC get its water from the main coolant loop? Or does it have it's own source? Is that what the cap on top of the IC is for?

raydenl said:

Slightly off topic.

Does the IC get its water from the main coolant loop? Or does it have it's own source? Is that what the cap on top of the IC is for?

you are correct matey :D the IC has its own source. It has its own little pump and everything. The actual water cooler is in between your bumper and the radiator. The pump is in the passenger side front guard :D

hope this helps.