Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Low Boost on TT Legacy

twinturboboy

Hi there I have a problem with my 1995 GT Legacy - low boost

The first thing i did was take it to Genuine Subaru - at that time it was only doing 4 pound and they checked all vac lines and connected to their computer and it came up with code 66 which as you all know is very vague.

It has been doing a whistling noise since I had it which was about two months ago and have just found out the other day that it was a gasket gone under neath the intercooler - (see pictures below) - for now it has only got gasket goo on it until the new gaskets arrive - so now it is doing 6-7 pound and sometimes 8 I have checked the secondary turbo and it seems to be alright - the primary has noisy bearings - could this be the cause of my low boost?

Also before I fixed the gasket leak the CEL would come on and go into limp mode but it doesn't do it now

Any suggestions?

IMG_1015-1.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

The red stuff is the goo

not uncommon for primary to to whine lightly, anything louder usually = turbo failure

only getting that sort of boost makes me very suspicious of the exhaust change over valve (located under the secondary turbo)

They can fail , and allow exh gas to exit the system via the secondary turbo exh housing

Test it by driving the car at light throttle ( no rpm above 4000 and throtttle less that 25% ) for 2-3min , pull over an see if there is any heat around the secondary turbo - It should be stone cold, if not the the ECV has failed

Hi thanks for that I tried what you said and the exhaust and second turbo were stone cold after driving below 4000 RPM for about three minutes

I also found another leak - the hose going from the primary to the intercooler was split so I have replaced that but the car is still only boosting 6 pound and even when I tried to free-boost it it didn't make any difference in boost levels - the previous owner told me that he had the primary replaced at 160,000kms - (has now done 190,000) the primary is quite whiney too.

I am quite stumped now as all the vac lines, hoses etc are all in good order - so I'm thinking the turbos are stuffed?????

any help would be appreciated

Cheers

twins are difficult at the best of times, but they are all fixable

Too many convert to single for a small problem that would have cost them stuff all to fix - honestly there arent too many around that know the in's and out's of all the vac plumbing wiring etc

where are you located?