Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Air intake

Currently running a standard intake which im thinking about changing. What are you guys running?, is any extra tunning needed depending on differant systems?.

have had a look through some engine bays, however any extra pics and extra advice would be great.

Cheers, Dean..

Guest jedi warrior

hi, IMO use your standard air box but replace the filter with a higher quality k&n panel type filter.

if you want to use a pod filter ( which should be fine with your single turbo ) use a cold air box and brace it well with a meccano type brace and use a heat shield or cold air box, to prevent excess warm air being sucked back in your engine, and to help with longer life out of your air flow meter ( excess shaking and vibration isnt cool ). also look at removing the plastic spaghetti crap in ur drivers side guard and replace with a marley type straight flowing system.( snorklectomy )

heres some pics i found on google images:

cold air box:

ConfortiCAI.jpg

9191.jpg

snorklectomy:

55236d1124663453-diy-ram-air-duct-cold-a

Thanks for the help!!. Just looking for something specific to apply to a Forester :). Will definitely try to the snorklectomy effect.

If you have a look on ozfoz.com they have got heaps of things diff people have done with their foresters but the common things to do is removal of resonator and diy cai with some pvc pipe and putting in k&n, the site is worth a look as it is dedicated to just foresters

I whipped out the snorkus and put a 90deg bend with a bell mouth opening into the standard air box. Then blanked off the hole in the engine bay with some sheet alu.

Didn't run a pipe from the fog lights because i'm paranoid about hydrolocking as I drive on the beach and through shallow creeks etc.

Running a fram mesh filter that gets washed whenever i change the oil every 8-10k.

The air intake temp is much lower now but the downside is hearing the factory BOV everytime i lift the gas.

DSCF0148.jpg

DSCF0141.jpg

DSCF0143.jpg

Cost me around $12 for the two bits of pvc 75mm pipe and i had the old pod lying around. Was going to spray it black but havn't been bothered so far

I really want to but uni's taking over my life!

I plan on finishing this year so don't want to fail any papers. It seems like all my assignments are due in the second week of every month, hence you won't be seeing me tonight :(

Soon tho, I promise. The weekend's looking free

i did exactly the same thing on the WRX.

Take off the under-guard thingy and take out the snorkel/restrictive crap inside the guard that the air is taken from. Replace with as large as possible diametre smooth piping out into the guard.

I use a K+N panel filter in the normal airbox.

This freeing up of the intake will give you a meatier induction roar and remove a fair bit of restriction.

done the same "marley 90mm" intake on my foz, i ran right out the bottom of the car so it is sucking from below the drivers side driving light, just had to add some mesh to the bottom of the pipe to stock sucking in stones and small children.... :-\

Hey nztintin, I like the green colour on the foz. Is it candy green? Im looking to get a paint job done similar to that green. Nice colour by the way.

yup, that pic was from mega meet last year..... anywho back on topic...... snorkelectomy ios a good upgrade, marley 90mm cold air intake is alsoa good mod IMHO, If your gonna leave the intake in the guard i would reccoment blocking off the hole that the old air intake came through into the engine bay, otherwise you will be sucking hot air from the engine into the guard and in the intake, would only be minute but still...... a gain is a gain!