Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V2 wrx sti ra replacement turbo

DXROLLA

So after my recent drag racing experience the turbo on my car has decided to start letting a bit of oil through, im wondering what the best option would be, weather i rebuild my factory one or go to maybe a vf22, if i was to go to a vf22 would there be much of an advantage and would it change how the car went? Would i also need to change any other parts?

do u hav a td05 im gathering u do i my self prefer a td05 but they are journal bearing wea vf is ball bearing a vf22 is a marvelous turbo has a great rev range of power wea a td05 is alot of top end which is great for drag n just a ? wat colour smoke coming out of exhaust y u think its turbo leaking just as white smoke is turbo seals or y made u cum to conclusion its ur turbo

I believe its the turbo due to it is spitting oil out the BOV which is situated just after the turbo, Ive had a type r coupe with the vf22 which went really well, the tdo5 on the car at the moment went good but i just assumed the vf22 was ment to be the best turbo the subarus came out with, but after a bit of research i see the td05 aint to bad either.

Spitting oil out the BOV is more a sign of too much blow by, if you stil have your factory PCV setup your intercooler is probably filled with oil vapour and be all black slimey on the inside. This lowers the octane level of your fuel. I would pull you intercooler off and give the inside a good brake clean out, make sure you let it evaporate out completely before restarting it. You may want to run a can of upper cyclinder cleaning foam (from subaru dealer) through the intake as well.

When the oil seals go on a td05 they usually leak into the exhaust and you'll get purple smoke out the exhaust.

Ah ok will try that, i also checked the oil before i went to the drags and it was slightly over full, could this have caused the oil issue? I checked the oil this morning and it is at the full mark now ???

Ill take the intercooler off and give it a clean out, ive also noticed a bit of a fuel smell lately aswell, only when the heater is on though and not all the time, could this be a sign of something aswell?

The car has done just over 192,000km and there is no sign of a rebuild so possibly getting a bit tired aswell :-\

Ive taken the intercooler off and there seems to be a lot more oil on the intake side than the turbo side, could that be a sign as well to blow by? If it is blow by does that mean i definitely need a rebuild or as you said get a decent catch can setup?

Found this on another forum, does it sound right?

Firstly, the PCV valve is the one attached to the inlet manifold under the throttle body.

The crankcase breather outlet is near the back of the engine and has 2 outlets;

1) goes to the pre turbo intake and works under boost

2) goes to the PCV and works when the throttle body is shut (manifold vacuum).

The other breathers are on the rocker covers and yes they tee under the inlet manifold and run to the pre turbo intake.

Over 90% of people who fit a catch can do it wrong.

The catch can has to act as a filter in the system.

In order to do that, you much retain the Vacuum effect that acts on the rocker cover breathers and the crankcase breather when on boost.

So I suggest leaving the crankcase to PCV setup alone.

You need to run the rocker cover breathers and crankcase to pre turbo breather to the catch can then you need to complete the circuit with a hose going from the catch can to the pre turbo inlet.

In order for the catch can to be of any use it has to somehow separate the oil out and let air continue to the pre turbo intake.

rexengine.jpg