Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2000 legacy wagon fuel filter location

dwayne_np

hi, new to these forums, as above i have a legacy wagon, and after extensively searching the net, i am thoroughly confused.

2005 and newer is meant to be in tank filter, pre 2005 on left hand side shock tower.

all mine has is two little black round thingys in the fuel lines. does this mean i have an in-tank filter??

if so why would mine have that spec 5 years before it became standard fare??

any help appreciated!

cheers dwayne

There isn\'t a huge amount of info around on them. Legacies around that time did have in tank filters, may have only been on the import cars or something.. I\'m not sure. If it isn\'t under the hood it\'s probably in the tank.

I just replaced the fuel filter in my 2000 tsr legacy. The fuel filter was in-tank, under the rhs rear seat. It\'s attached to the fuel pump assembly. Lift the seat and lining material and there is a plate to remove, then disconnect fuel lines etc and remove the pump. It takes a bit of manouvering to get it out because the float arm for the fuel level sensor is attached also. Then remove the outer canister of the fuel filter, replace the cartridge and put the new outer in and replace the whole lot.

I bought the genuine part because I was told it came with a replacement O-ring. Mine didn\'t so luckily the original was in good condition. Part was 42072AE000 - $75 retail (not sure if that is + gst or not). The equivalent Ryco filter is R2626P buy may be a similar price to genuine anyway.

If you\'re doing it yourself make sure you do it when your tank is as low on fuel as possible, in a well ventilated area and you have some rags handy. Did mine outside on a nice day, would have sucked in the garage! Can also pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank the engine over a couple of times until it dies, that way there\'ll be less fuel in the lines when you disconnect them.

Yes it will be in the tank.

Fairly easy to do once you\'ve done it once.

On mine being a sedan you just pop the base of the seats out and undo the access panel.

Not sure on the wagon since the seats can be folded down but shouldn\'t be too hard.

The pump and filter can then be removed and changed.

Very important do not have more than half a tank of fuel, I would recommend having as little as possible without being completely out.

Last but not least I would go with an OEM filter.

They are not cheap but I\'ve heard stories of third party ones breaking up and getting debris through the lines and into the injectors etc.

Spend that bit more for the peace of mind.

sweet cheers for the info guys!!

its done 220,000 k\'s so im hoping with new filter, plugs, air filter and oil etc that it gets rid of the slight hesitation when cruising at light throttle.

p.s. its a base spec 2.0l manual model. brought it as a run around and pretty damn happy with it so far!