Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2001 impreza 20N Misfire/Low on power

Dylan20N

Rosssub']

[quote name='Rosssub said:

Is the 01 20N Impreza an EJ204? With Dual AVCS?

/quote]

I believe these early EJ204\'s were only single AVCS, just on the intake?

The oil pressure sensors can get clogged up in their gauze filters, and in some cases the gauze filters can fall apart, causing the sensor to misread. This only applies if you have the EJ204 engine haha

I\'m pretty sure it is an EJ204/Single AVCS.

That would/could explain Dylan20N\'s problem. Intake Cam Timing off on one Bank. I\'ve read a good write up/thread on that exact fault and the issues it causes but have no idea where I read it. ::)

Was the solution to just remove the Gauze completely?

Edit: Dylan what is your Engine Code on your Passenger Strut Tower Chassis Plate/Tag.

Yeah that makes sense.

Was having a chat to a workmate and from what he said it just prevents them falling to bits in there

Nachoooo, 2 posts up. ;)

Rosssub said:

Yes you have AVCS, that could be causing your issues. Cams not advancing on one Bank, or Cams stuck at Full Advance.

Check out this thread regarding oil in Loom from blocked AVCS Oil Feed:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,20261.0.html

And this AVCS Thread on Sensor Fault from Oil Filter slipping into Sensor:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,23227.0.html

But as said. With your symptoms, most likely AFM.

But it wouldn\'t hurt to check out your AVCS Gauze Filters first. It\'s free and easy.

Marky said:

Its a subaru

Chances are its the afm

you\'re going in circles trying to find the fault, my money says just take it somewhere who can chuck a scanner on it and look. If its a misfire it\'ll show as a rich idle, if its a dud afm it\'ll show as fluctuating voltage at idle (more than what should be normal)

Just cleaning it wont sort it, and neither is unplugging it a proper test. They can go a bit crook and just read a bit off (like... out of calibration) so the thing runs rich or lean across the board, it would explain a sad idle and poor performance when driving

Most things are very easy to diagnose via what the ECU knows already, you don\'t necessarily have to do trial by replacement like an older model

You are likely correct and i am running out of time to play work and uni are piling up so its prob time to get it to a shop with a proper scanner and most likely swap the AFM, will look at the AVCS issue also. possibly fix my issue or avoid one coming.

• 1 year later...
 Rosssub said:
AFM 7/10, Coil 2/10, Something else 1/10. ;)

Try another AFM out first, then try swapping Coil/Coil Packs. Might pay to give the Plugs a check while your in there too, Condition and Gap.

Have you had any CEL\'s or tried Diagnostics?

Hey I'm having a similar problem with my Subaru Impreza 2000 it's really low on power I'll put my foot to the floor and it will feel like I'm in 5th gear just really slow and can't really keep a constant speed then when I get to higher revs it seems like it wants to just keep going so I have to take my foot off the accelerator for it to change gears only sometimes this happens and the engine light comes on and off any help would be appreciated I know absolutely nothing about cars in general hahaha cheers