Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

300hp Brainstorm

iphillipnz

So I would like to get some input on building a setup around the 300hp atw(220kw) mark on the BE5/BH5 platform.

Some key ideas that I'm hoping to explore with this thread are;

- Expense/cost effectiveness for a 300hp build.

- Future proofing (more kw down the track).

- Stable and reliable, everyday/weekend boost.

- Making use of whats easily available.

Alright so say we have a standard REV A/B/C Twin turbo manual EJ208 with all accessories to start with.

Before any engine gets near the car it will be stripped down and rebuilt no questions, probably by me with a friend.

Uklegacy seem to think the 208 open short will take around 400hp, similar to the WRX 205. If the 208 was used in the hypothetical 300hp build would it be worth upgrading the internals then and there or is the open deck going to limit the overall safe power output of the engine too much to warrant forged? Where to go from this point perhaps an ej207S?

The internet seems to think that when the twin heads were made, subaru shat out airflow gold. Would some money be saved by keeping these and just converting them to single turbo etc? Will over shim effect a 300hp weekender/occasional track day vehicle? Port and polish will be happening regardless. What other options, Ver6 heads, wire in AVCS for v7 heads, swap shim over for shim under and cam shafts?

I have a VF30 lying around with some v7 headers which should do the job(stock turbo position). When does the wastegate on a VF30 lose its effectiveness, would it just be easier to fab in external before I get it all together to realize it cant handle the pressure? I have access to a full workshop so keep that in mind. Will be custom fab downpipe/exhaust and FMIC piping.

Despite the reusing cost margin would it just be more effective to buy a 207 with ver6 heads on it? If I end up reusing current gear I might be able to afford a link.

Anyways the whole point of this thread is.. If you had a BE5/BH5 and was looking to make 300hp in a single turbo application, how would you do it? Any and all opinions welcome! Thanks.

INB4 Buy an STI.

EDIT: Also the internet seems to think that some later model EJ208 may have been semi closed, anyone got information on this?

Edited by iphillipnz

Making this way harder than it needs to be

Chuck in a working v5/6 motor, you'll get past 200kW @ wheels with a the usual intercooler and exhaust upgrade already, bit more safely if you go to an aftermarket ecu and lean on it a bit

it's getting past that point where they become money sinks, that power level is still enough for a high-mid 12sec pass

Marky said:
Making this way harder than it needs to be

Chuck in a working v5/6 motor, you'll get past 200kW @ wheels with a the usual intercooler and exhaust upgrade already, bit more safely if you go to an aftermarket ecu and lean on it a bit

it's getting past that point where they become money sinks, that power level is still enough for a high-mid 12sec pass

Yeah thats cool I currently aren't too fussed with huge power. I like to make use of what I've got and do something a little bit different. Just cause why not?

Problems I'm running into currently is driveline. Because our 3rd gen hubs are different (rear multilink) its going to be tough to do a 6 speed swap (afaik) so might just get a 5mt with LSD R160.

But I was thinking don't the newage legacy run 6speed with multilink rear suspension so potentially could look at doing hub swap with the rest of the driveline? I obviously need to do quite a lot more research on the topic.

Edited by iphillipnz