Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

knock sensor number 99 wrx

ajb86n

Hey all more issues with the mighty gf8

So i changed my knock sensor the other day was a mish but done it reset ecu and car ran better than it had but was still having boost issues with it hitting 14 then dripping to say 8-10

Done a soapy water boost leak test and found out my blow off valve was leaking only slighty so im hunting for one now however finished wirk today jumped in warmed it up as i always do and it is running like a bag of **** feels real jurky and wont hit anything iver 7psi could a boost leak do that much damage to boost levels or should i start looking at the boost solinoid any belp would be great

ajb86n said:
Hey marky i didnt spray near afm were is this afm element u speak of wouldnt have a clue what that is

the only element the avatar can't bend.

Nah, it's the thin bit of metal the air flow meter has that allows it to gauge how much air is flowing through.

Man you're getting way too focussed on making it run a random boost number you want it to, and ignoring the fact there's obviously some form of fault with the car

Trying to wind boost into it may make it go good but it won't fix the problem and will likely just kill it

If it's working at times, but sometimes making itself pull boost back, then there is a reason for it

What it sounds like it's doing is pulling boost back because it's picking up an issue, likely too much knock

What you could do, if you wanted, is rig up a test light inline with the boost control solenoid - that will tell you if it's actually being pulsed or not.

If it IS being pulsed, but boost isn't rising, then the problem lies with the solenoid being faulty (either not operating or just being gummed stuck)

If it ISN'T being pulsed, then there's a fault somewhere which is making the car go into limp mode - that said, it does work at times so we can rule that out by the sounds of it

If it SOMETIMES is pulsed, that means there isn't a fault as such but an issue the ECU is picking up sometimes making it run wastegate pressure only. Normal culprit is excess knock, and boost is reduced as a last ditch effort to save the motor

If all you want to do is wind the boost up then seriously go buy a $20 boost tap, run the hose from turbo to tap to wastegate, job done, problem solved. The purpose of the factory boost control system isn't so much as a way to run the boost they want from the factory - if they wanted that then you'd just see a 14psi spring in the actuator and that's it - the purpose of it is so the ECU has the ability to pull boost when required

Got ya that makes sense i changed the knock myself and as u can tell im a noob when it comes to engines should i hit up a mechanic to quickly look at knock sensor??just want it healthy as its my daily and i need it to last and lets be fair putting the foot down with boost kicking in is addictive i will try the solinoid tomorrow after work and see how we go thanks marky appreciate it