Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Clutch issues???

Did a replacement engine on Saturday. Put on the original clutch, which was all good before hand and aligned it up with the clutch alignment tool... no dramas there. Had a fight getting the engine in though, it was about 1" from mating up to the gearbox and just woundn't budge. After 1 hr I finally got there. 4hrs later and a new FMIC setup I took her for a test run with disgusting results. Now I have vibrations all the time which was not there before. Anyone know why I would have a prick of a time with the last inch?

boostin said:

I guess so. The motor and box need to be pretty well aligned for it to all slide together.

Thanks Dude.

A lesson learned then, SLOW DOWN and do it properly :-[

Did you line the white paint dots somewhat 120 degrees away from each? Do you have clutch

engagement difficulties? more then Likely boostin is right

what year is this car sorry

WiLd02StI said:

Did you line the white paint dots somewhat 120 degrees away from each? Do you have clutch

engagement difficulties? more then Likely boostin is right

what year is this car sorry

I did see a white marker on it but didn't pay any attention to it, clutch engages fine, boost is all good, and its a 96GTB

BATATTACK']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

i use jacks to line everything up, works a treat.

/quote]

Did this but I must've been in too much of a rush

Sometimes i have been angry and used a longer bolt in one of the starter holes and just pulled it on....bit hori but works, (hasn't failed yet....)

dubbedup']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

i use jacks to line everything up, works a treat.

/quote]

Did this but I must've been in too much of a rush

Sometimes i have been angry and used a longer bolt in one of the starter holes and just pulled it on....bit hori but works, (hasn't failed yet....)

Thats how I did it in the end (damage was probably already done by then ) , engine was off a endless chain and wagon was on axle stands, trans was jacked up abit too. I think the engine was too far away from the trans though :-\

Mite have to use my neighbours engine crane thingy, even though he hates subarus lol

The white paint dots, marks, arrows, on the flywheel and pressure plate are

for balancing. Let’s hope you got it by miracle right otherwise you will have an imbalance condition, that could manifest itself as vibration

Guest boostin
 WiLd02StI said:

for balancing. Let’s hope you got it by miracle right otherwise you will have an imbalance condition, that could manifest itself as vibration

Eh what?? First I've heard of that one!! And I've done heaps with no vibration issues.

boostin']

[quote name='WiLd02StI said:

/quote]

Eh what?? First I've heard of that one!! And I've done heaps with no vibration issues.

Oh well the suby issues continue...

Out she comes again (head butt wall repeatly untill unconscious)

in short

boostin']

/quote]

I did state it could!? Clutch to flywheel balance out gave me vibration at 2000rpm 2500rpm and so on after the balance and realignment it was ok. So I guess in not so many words and without being rude I’m asking you why that would be.

Guest boostin
 WiLd02StI']

in short

/quote]

I did state it could!? Clutch to flywheel balance out gave me vibration at 2000rpm 2500rpm and so on after the balance and realignment it was ok. So I guess in not so many words and without being rude I’m asking you why that would be.

Because each of the components is balanced individually. There is no way in hell you have to balance a clutch assembly. Otherwise every clutch replacement would more than double in price!!

Not quite the answer I was looking for!

Or not to question your abilities at all just was looking for a more enlightened answer to why they are balanced and why the Clutch to flywheel balance is impotent to adding longevity to parts and so on among other fundamental points.

Just for other readers as I do understand the answers! Anyway boostin, clutch to flywheel balance out would it cause vibration? That’s my point to the post!!

(edit) yes its not a Common practice to do but should be the benefits out way the cost

Would it be same principal as doing a cv boot? In the manual they say to mark it for reassembly alignment. I dunno but the engine is coming out again, what the hell I need the practice obviously :)

boostin said:

My guess is you've bent the clutch plate.

I will run with this.... its what my mate next door said too, even though he hates subies, he's got over 40yrs exp as a mechanic.

Inspect it before replacing it I would say, my first guess was the same as boostin’s but I gave options instead of regurgitating what he said, all it will cost you is time to have a look.. Good luck