Mikk

Bp/BL turbo question

Hi, my 2003 legacy turbo is stuffed. Turbo is TD04-HLA. I was wondering does some other subaru turbo fit there bolt on? Or maybe someone has for sale one. Thanks 

Vf38,vf44 and Vf45 are the only direct replacements.Vf45 being the best.Limited choice of turbos for the 2.0L twin scroll Legacy.

2 hours ago, Dre said:

Vf38,vf44 and Vf45 are the only direct replacements.Vf45 being the best.Limited choice of turbos for the 2.0L twin scroll Legacy.

Do you have any proof of the vf45 being the best? I'd always thought the same but mentioned it to a guy who rebuilds turbo’s a while back and he was certain the 44 has a slightly larger turbine wheel so has theoretically more potential.

Seems to go against the old school Subaru/IHI methods of messing with the comp side and keeping the turbine the same between multiple turbo variations though

I’m sure your Td04 can be rebuilt and modded but not sure about the Vf38,44 and 45.@Andy_Mac the Td04 ‘maybe’ has the larger compressor wheel.Was told by my tuner that the Vf45 flows the best top end.@Mikk Wreckers price on a used Vf45 approx $650.Check out Kinugawa Legacy twin scroll turbos for new aftermarket.

Edited by Dre

Murch can do vf38’s at least. Not sure on the other two. 

The same dude who claimed the 44 is better also claims 38,44 and 45 are all journal bearing cores too which would make them all as equally easy to repair as each other. Dunno if he was on the drugs or not as every other reference on the net claims the 44 and 45 are both ball bearing.