Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sat Nav makes on Japanese import

Hi, does anyone know what makes of nav systems are on the different Subaru model years i.e. 2003 through to 2010. My wife's 2004 Outback has a Denso compatible system. It came with the Japanese disc (v1.1) but I want to try and get a firmware update so that it can read later Denso discs. Does anyone have a later disc for the Subaru I could get a copy of (any country will do)?

I downloaded a 2008 UK disc for my car (Jap import Jag) and was surprised to find that the Outback would read it too. I can't select addresses off it but then I couldn't in my Jag either. I have managed to load a firmware update for my Jag and the UK disc now works properly so I am now sourcing an NZ disc for it. Before I flashed the Jag's nav unit, it was also able to rear the Outback disc and I could select addresses so they are similar.

Having compared the contents of the Japanese disc v the UK disc, the address index information has changed which may explain why address searching won't work. I tried to force the Outback nav to read the setup for my car but it said that the file was invalid so I would like to try and find an update for the Outback system.

Which brings me back to my original question. Do the later Subaru's have the same system or did they change suppliers? The US Subaru's also had nav systems - does anyone know who makes those?

smurff said:

not to many people here may have 2003+ outbacks i would say.

-smurff

Thanks, I guess not but don't the 2003 on Legacy's have the same unit?

Swindog said:

rapid radio will sort you out mate. You can swap them over depending on the model. Some have english firmware updates for them.

Cheers, I will try contacting them.

Guest keltik

So far as i Know. 1998-2001 models used Kenwood, 2001-2004 used Clarion then 2004-2007 used Kenwood again on USDM models. Easiest way to find out would be to pop it out and read the model code off the back of the unit.

keltik said:

So far as i Know. 1998-2001 models used Kenwood, 2001-2004 used Clarion then 2004-2007 used Kenwood again on USDM models. Easiest way to find out would be to pop it out and read the model code off the back of the unit.

Thanks very much for that info, that may explain why the nav unit won't boot from a Kenwood disc.

Judging by the workshop manual you have to take half the car apart to get the nav drive out of the glovebox and my wife might not be too happy seeing her new car in bits! I have taken the bottom trim off in the passenger footwell to get to the wires on the back of the unit to force it to reload the software. It is a very tight fit but I will try shoving a mirror or a digital camera up there to see if there are any markings on the back.

I saw a 2004 Outback on EBAY in the UK with the same info screen (mpg etc) as mine so they must have had a similar system fitted to those cars too.

legacy666 said:

finding a program to copy someones disc is a bit of a problem. people have problems with earlier models too. Car audio shop or a subaru wrecker is probably your best bet.

Thanks for that. I have managed to create a working copy of a UK and a USA nav disc for my own car (Jag) from an iso and will hopefully get a copy of an NZ disc in the next few days so it is not impossible. Unfortunately they don't work 100% with the Subaru so it looks like I need a hardware specific boot disc. I have a watch on EBAY in the UK to see if anything comes up there.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am in the same boat as you with a 2004 japanese import outback. Just wondering if you have had any luck with upgrading your Sat Nav. I can't even work out how to change the time on the clock. Talked to the guys at Wingers and they said you can replace the whole unit with a nz spec one, this requires a different facia with different airvents etc parts costing over $500.

u102768']

[quote name='Swindog said:

rapid radio will sort you out mate. You can swap them over depending on the model. Some have english firmware updates for them.

/quote]

Cheers, I will try contacting them.

what did rapid radio say?

hi guys,

when i spoke to rapid radio 2 weeks ago the guy basically said we're screwed. no way to get nav working, radio needs to be ripped out and start again, using the new a/c control facia.

just got the impression he just wanted me to hand over lots of money for a new install. not really much help, but i suppose thats what he's paid to do.

still hunting for a remedy

phil

Hi there, I've been hunting for info on this satnav/combo as well. In my case, I'm looking for a way to hack in an aux-in into the factory stereo to get an iPod working. FM transmitters don't seem to work with the stereo, which I believe are due to the shielding + the use of a band expander.

I've got a 2004 Outback with the TV/SatNav/DVD etc from Panasonic, but no SatNav discs. One thing I found interesting on mine is that the speaker (single) for the satnav sits just above the front passenger footwell, and is not integrated into the stereo. Is that the same on yours?

Oh, and in regards to Rapid Radio, I was deeply unimpressed with their sales guys. Went in there, had to almost beg to speak to someone about some audio upgrades in an earlier car. Got such crappy treatment I went to another place.

EDIT: The factory stereo is a GX201JE (Kenwood, I believe). Unfortunately both pieces of equipment are not connected in any way. :/

• 1 year later...
 kirstcam said:

Hi, I am in the same boat as you with a 2004 japanese import outback. Just wondering if you have had any luck with upgrading your Sat Nav. I can't even work out how to change the time on the clock. Talked to the guys at Wingers and they said you can replace the whole unit with a nz spec one, this requires a different facia with different airvents etc parts costing over $500.

IM I just got an 04 Legacy- can change the time but it keeps changing back after a few minutes- have you figured anything out?