Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New 97 STi. Need some help please!!

Hi guys,

I just got a 1997 STI Wagon. It's pretty stock standard from what I can tell. The only thing the guy said that was done was it was tuned to push out more boost, it was lowered and an aftermarket BOV was put in that makes a wee sneezing sound. I can't find anything that doesn't look like it belongs there so I don't know if this is supposed to be a stock BOV or is stock a plumb back system?

I used to have a 1993 WRX Sedan and did a few mods to it. I took all of the restrictors out of the engine bay that I could find in the pipes connected to the solenoid. I took out the damping box on the air intake system and put a pod filter on it. I took out the Turbosmart Type 1 BOV that the previous guy had put on and put the stock one back in. I also had a full 3" exhaust from Turbo to Tip with 1 resonator and I can't remember what muffler I had but I didn't like that muffler because the air buffeted in it.

I pretty want to do the same with this one. At least I don't have to take a resonator box out. I do want to put a pod filter on though. Are there any restrictive things that stop the standard air box from getting as much air as it should? When I put the pod filter in is there anything else I should do other then just put it on? What is a good choice of pod filter?

I liked the sound of the stock 1993 WRX BOV, especially with the POD filter. The turbosmart one was too gangsta for me. Can I plumb one into the 97 STI? If so, how? Where would I find one?

I'm not so sure about the car being lowered. The handling, while it is more awesome then most other cars, isn't as good as my old '93 WRX. I'm wondering whether it's because it's lowered or if it's on Bridgestone MY-01's instead of Toyo T1R's or Dunlop Direzza's or maybe because it's a wagon and wagon's just don't handle as well and I should be more careful?

Now onto the main bit... The exhaust. I want to get another 3" exhaust system as this makes the most difference to the performance and of course I have been in love with the deep rumbling sound ever since I saw the first one I really noticed overtaking someones granny after coming around a corner up at the 4 square by the Torbay shops 12 years ago.

I generally listen to anything from Hard Rock to Death Metal like Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Slayer, Pantera, Sabbath etc. so I'm a fan of noise and I'm not looking to quiet my exhaust down but I'm definitely not looking at getting any green stickers. I quite like the way Ken Block's STI sounds on the youtube Gymkhana Practice vid but I think that might get a green sticker if I took that out on the road so something close would be good.

I have a $1000 TOPS to spend on an exhaust and a muffler (installed). Where's the best place to get a good system in Aucks? What sort of system should I get? What sort of muffler (that comes WITHOUT buffeting air) should I get? Should I install any resonators in the system?

Is there anything else I should do to make the ride even more mint?

Thanks!!! :)

ye the strut tower will help a lot.

ok if u put a pod filter on ur sti then u can put the stock blow off back in and it will sound thru the pod like u want. a good cold air duct will go a long way in helping performance while u at it.