Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1996 GT pullling to the left after cv boot replacement

blahman

Cutting a long story short got wheel alignment next week got cv boot replaced cost 210 cos it was hard to get off or some rubbish then now car pulls hard to the left and goes woop wopp wopp wopp driving along any ideas. This was done in a large garage here in Tauranga.

Yeah funny thing was I took it back to the place I got the wheel alignment done at and they put it on the machine and said it was all sweet. THey gave me the print out showing it was within spec. SO i guessing they didnt refit something properly or bent something. They said they had to take alot of the suspension off to get the boot off.

Guest boostcut

my bet is they have damaged the wheel bearing while they smashed the stub out of the hub with an oversized hammer. what garage is it dude??? im in tga too if you want me to look at it.

Guest boostcut

if the outer dont slide out, i pull bottom bj out regardless, and remove inner cv and slide on that way... ive damaged one wheel bearing in my first year of spinning spanners and never again

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys since we're on the topic of C.V's, whats actually holding the inncer C.V joint to the gearbox? I look at the inner C.V's and I see a green cover and the boots attached to it....All four front boots are ripped and I wanna change them myself, Mechanics these days are dodgy as. I also need a wheel alignment too as I've just put in new struts w/ dobi springs.

RS.YES said:

Hey guys since we're on the topic of C.V's, whats actually holding the inncer C.V joint to the gearbox? I look at the inner C.V's and I see a green cover and the boots attached to it....All four front boots are ripped and I wanna change them myself, Mechanics these days are dodgy as. I also need a wheel alignment too as I've just put in new struts w/ dobi springs.

26171_333182792294_608172294_3325532_184

When the gearbox stub (teeth visible in the top left) is inside the matching teeth in the cv joint as pictured, it's actually suprisingly hard for it to come out of it's own accord. But anyway, that hole you see there is where a pin goes through the center of the whole assembly that helps keep it together.

Other than that...nothing holding it in

Is it easy to get to that pin with a punch? This will be my 1st attempt at anything like this, i've always thought that c.v joints are hard to replace cause the fear of breaking something, this looks simple but a little patience helps and goes a long way. Whats a cleaning agent i can use to clean the c.v if its still good to use, degreaser should do the trick just fine right but a mate was telling me petrol is a good cleaning agent? True?

RS.YES said:

This will be my 1st attempt at anything like this, i've always thought that c.v joints are the hardest things, this looks simple but a little patience helps and goes a long way. Whats a cleaning agent i can use to clean the c.v if its still good to use, degreaser should do the trick just fine right?

Getting the inner cv out of the gearbox was by far the easiest bit of the whole process when I did it. Make sure you have a 4.5 or 5mm LONG, not short, 'pin punch' to get the pin out, otherwise you'll find yourself wasting time ghettoing something up.

In my case the outer CV was seized into the hub ridiculously hard so it was not at all an easy or pleasant experience, but this is supposedly rare and when not seized they're not much of a problem to get out.

Good luck!

Edit: yes, you just rotate the wheel until the hole in the CV is directly vertical and you can just rest the punch on the pin and then tap it relatively gently with a hammer a few times and it'll pop out. Note that it's technically one way; the hole on one side of the cv will be indented so tap it out that way. It will go out the other way iirc but it's not good for the pin afaik. If you can't pop the cv off the stub just get someone (or just do it yourself) to turn the steering wheel to full lock and it'll be easy to slide off

RS.YES said:

cheers mercury, will have a hack at it after my 2weeks of work coming f***kin' awkward hours man and no days off in between. Work is a neccessary evil!!

if you have any issues getting the outer cv out of the hub do a search for a thread I made on here while doing it, there's some good advice in there. In my case it didn't help but hopefully it'll help you out if problems arise