Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Electrical blahs, please help oh wise people.

Greetings, my first post since I lost my old account.

I have a 1996 Subbie Impreza STI and recently have been having an electrical issue which I hope some of you peeps may be familiar with, and with any luck may provide me with some advice as to how to remedy the problem before I consult auto electrician$.

What is happening is that sometimes the head lights go 'on' when they should be off. On other ocassions(when the car is started) if I switch the head lights on they go 'off'.

Also, recently the stereo has refused to work.

There have also been some times when I have driven the car with no worries and then parked up, and when i return the head lights are on when they are swicthed off.

Other times, I have parked up, switched the car off and then later the head lights will come on aswell as some auxiliary fans in the engine bay. To stop that, I would sometimes disconnect the battery to stop it going dead.

I am unsure if the fact that prior to these issues the battery had gone flat and I removed it to recharge, then put it back in. Perhaps as the voltage of the battery declined this led to some kind of electrical malfunction?

Later on in the piece I decided to install a new battery but the problem has persisted and even got worse. Is there a specific way to install new batteries or re-set the system or something?

Thankyou in advance, all the best...Subsist.

are all your fuses "in" and fine? i dunno if that will help but my mates car did funny electrical things when one of his fuses blew. we couldnt work it out because the car still ran fine. the lights wouldnt go without the fan being on and the fuse for the cabin lights was fine but the cabin lights werent working! random **** like that.

i also plugged the "green" plugs togeather under the steering colum (they were the wrong plugs to join up) to find my fault codes. it turned the fans and the intercooler sprayer on in the engine bay and kept priming the fuel pump. you could check to see that theyre not pluged in?????

good luck on that :-\

Thankyou very much jacsmiley for the info. ;) I had checked some of the fuses and they seemed fine, but I will be sure to have a better look at them and also check the plugs you mentioned.

Any other idea's/replies appreciated.

Have a great day...Subsist.

Has the stereo been installed recently? The might be a pinched wire behind there or something. The happened in one of my previous cars and caused the interior and dash lights to stop working as well as the tail lights. the front and indicators still went though.

wrx_lou said:

Has the stereo been installed recently? The might be a pinched wire behind there or something. The happened in one of my previous cars and caused the interior and dash lights to stop working as well as the tail lights. the front and indicators still went though.

very good point here!! ive been a victim of this but it was may half arsed wiring in a mates car!! by memory it was where i had earthed the main earth or the illumination wire??